• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Screenwriter Eric Heisserer Discusses Live-Action Your Name Adaptation in Interview

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Of course they asked them to westernize it. Of course. They don't have a problem with these adaptations, but whiney fans are. Make that coin! Ship it over to Hollywood.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
If there's an issue in the Westernization of this film it boils down to having to rewrite two of the major themes that brings the movie to it's climax spoiler[that being the fact the two main characters are tied together by the red string of fate and the Shinto rituals with the sake] I feel like it's very integral to the story and would be a real challenge.

The Japanese side of things are asking for a Western take on the series but of course that's going to fall on deaf ears in the larger Twitter landscape and drum up the old GITS controversy again, unless they go the Battle Angel route.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
it doesn't really matter what the JP side requested. Westernizing WILL still make it worse. As Yuki_Kun45 pointed point, a large point of the plot (possibly the LARGEST) revolves around Japanese religion. Changing that is basically a requirement but also ruins the story. So yeah, this is gonna suck just as expected. They should stop while they can.

I also like how people here attack fans that don't want things they love to have their reputations tarnished by crappy live-action adaptations calling fans "whiney" for just pointing out major flaws in this whole plan.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I love Your Name, I saw it exactly on this day a year ago and when I heard the news JJ was going to adapt it I couldn't help to feel a bit disappointed because I knew it would be a victim of the typical problems a anime adaptation, or any foreign story, faces when it gets a Hollywood movie, mainly the need to change the setting and races/nationality of the leads for the audience to identify with. Even if the original creator and producers are OK with the changes it's still awful that they try to erase the origins of the original work, and all the discussion about the making of this movie is going to revolve arround that decision no matter if the movie is good or bad. But even if they make a faithful adaptation I would say it's redundant, the story it's already perfect as an it is, just because it would have big names and state of the art sfx we still have the the original. This is just like what Disney is doing with its remakes, some do improve the story like Cinderella and The Jungle Book, but Beauty and the Beast is inferior compared to the original in my opinion.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
They would probably make more money from just re-releasing the anime movie with a wider release in US theaters than it initially got. Anime fans aren't going to go see it and casual American moviegoers will just dismiss it as a Freaky Friday wannabe.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Count me among those who have zero trust/respect for JJ Abrams, and I even spent five years on the staff of one of the largest unofficial fansites for LOST. Of course, with that series he just started it off and then handed everything over to Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindeloff, raked in the money and did other projects while they did the hard work of making the series happen.

I agree with what seems the consensus here. This just won't work. Whatever they come up with will just be passed off as another "Freaky Friday rip-off". I had trouble getting my friends interested in watching it because that what it sounded like to them...but then I went in with no idea of what I was going to see and was knocked out.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
Of course they asked them to westernize it.

And of course, the movie´s fans will get angry instead of saying: 'But wait, they could do a good movie even if it was Western. It Just needs...'. Unless you want the writers of the movie to copy the original page-by-page to make a good adaptation, which in my opinion is:
1-Going to make the movie worse than the original, or maybe have a case of the live-action BEauty and the Beast vs. the animated version, where you could just watch any version because they have the same story.
2-Making a copy of the source material into a new medium is why I´m hating to watch any shonen anime series. My Hero Academia could be way better than the manga had creative differences been taken(give the supporting cast more prominence, make the female characters have more agency instead of doing barely anything). Heck, Black Clover has a lot of material for Pierrot to make a decent Fantasy series for kids if they took creative differences instead of coping the whole manga, like they did with Naruto. When both The Dragon Prince and the new She-Ra series are way better than the latest crop of shonen series right now, we have a problem.

I don´t care if it´s a new and more western take on the movie, and even if the religion angle was important to the anime movie, that could be changed easily and still serve to make a good movie.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
@SkerllyFC07 I think you’re comparing apples to oranges by equating shonen anime to She-Ra or The Dragon Prince. Shonen anime by and large is trying to capitalize on a built-in audience and convince them to buy the ongoing manga; taking creative liberties would work against that agenda. By contrast, TDP and She-Ra are each trying to build up a new audience or targeting a demographic wholly different from its original incarnation.

Having said that, even with Japan’s blessing, I’m expecting this movie to be a mess. ^^;;;
Kosmogonia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Will be really interesting what American folk religion or mystical faith they explore in the live action movie. And, if not, wtf is the point? We don't need another variation on Freaky Friday.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
If there's an issue in the Westernization of this film it boils down to having to rewrite two of the major themes that brings the movie to it's climax spoiler[that being the fact the two main characters are tied together by the red string of fate and the Shinto rituals with the sake] I feel like it's very integral to the story and would be a real challenge.

Oh, $DIETY - it's not like western stories have never had a tale of two characters spoiler[connected across time by fate]. Ditto for the spoiler[sake], it's the personal connection of the physical artifact that's the key.

I'll give and grant that doing it well will be hard, but there's nothing essentially/magically "Japanese" about either.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
"Screenwriter Eric Heisserer Discusses Live-Action Your Name..."

Let me stop you *right* there.

[Hangs up, throws phone off a cliff, goes into the Witness Protection Program.]
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope people realize it's not Makoto Shinkai himself who's asking for a westernized version. It's the rights holder, i.e. the corporate investors i.e. all or a subset of the original production committee: Amuse, CoMix Wave Films, East Japan Marketing & Communications, Inc., Kadokawa, Lawson HMV Entertainment, TOHO, and voque ting

It is no different than when the Hollywood Dragonball or GitS adaptation was approved. The Japanese rights holders were shopping around and taking bidders for Hollywood adaptations. Many have dedicated departments just for shopping their hold of the author's work around (the publishers and production committee own the IP, not the author!) They even set up offices in California just for that. See for example, back in 2011:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-08-15/new-company-to-export-anime-other-content-overseas
Quote:
Production I.G, ASMIK Ace, Nikkatsu, Dentsu, Fuji TV, TBS, Toho-Towa, Tomy to collaborate

The new company will have offices in Tokyo and Los Angeles, and one of its specific goals will be to attract interest for adapting Japanese content into films in Hollywood

You can bet it's these guys who were asking and taking bids for the GiTs adaptation and not Masamune Shirow himself demanding one.

So the fact that the "Japanese side" initiated it is absolutely no different than business as usual and not unique to Your Name and does not grant an exemption to any potential butchering of the original work. Now it could very well turn out to be good, but already some commenters have preemptively granted that exemption to judge based on corporate biz as usual. We'll have to see how it turns out but going by past history, there's a lot to overcome to have an adaptation that translates well yet it still faithful to the original.

Last edited by configspace on Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Anime fans aren't going to go see it and casual American moviegoers will just dismiss it as a Freaky Friday wannabe.

As far as I am aware, the Christian denominations of rural America carry no tradition of brewing alcohol using human saliva. Perhaps it will be worth seeing this film just to learn how they navigate around that little detail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
青白

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
it doesn't really matter what the JP side requested. Westernizing WILL still make it worse. As Yuki_Kun45 pointed point, a large point of the plot (possibly the LARGEST) revolves around Japanese religion. Changing that is basically a requirement but also ruins the story. So yeah, this is gonna suck just as expected. They should stop while they can.

The largest point of the plot is the body swapping, and it is not hard to come up with reasons why the body swapping happens without resorting to Japanese mythology. They will just simply have to creatively play around that idea like what Edge of Tomorrow did to All You Need is Kill.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure people really need to worry about how they’ll adapt Japanese specific plot points, honestly I doubt they’ll even include body switching. To Hollywood the only useful aspect from this would be the name recognition, switch out the story and put in one one of the directors friends came up with, have the lead actress work in a clothing store so it keeps a connection to the original story, and throw it out holiday season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2