• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - You Have to Catch Up on Golden Kamuy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I really hope we end up getting another season. I didn't expect that I would enjoy it as much as I did when I started, and it came away as one of, if not the top, series of 2018 for me.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
We're definitely getting season 3, but we need more content. Right now the manga's at a critical point, so we need a bit of a conclusion to this arc.

Also, was I the only one that was spoiler[grossed out by Kiroranke's chest hair? I can objectively appreciate a hairy man, but his chest hair looked like hentai pubes. HELL NO... EW!!!][/spoiler]
MavenRaven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Golden Kamuy 2 was probably my favorite series from last year, and I heard that the manga is somehow even better. It's amazing how it manages to mix far-out wackiness and brutal violence, most times in the same episode, and still have an emotionally compelling story. Learning about Ainu culture and food is another bonus. I really can't recommend this anime enough.

I am curious about the production problems though. Some of it is unfortunately apparent from the animation in a couple episodes, but I haven't seen any articles or more information about it.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Golden Kamuy repeats a feat I've only seen Bacanno succeed at before; i.e. bringing together a bunch of violent, disturbed, largely amoral criminals and sociopaths together, and yet making every single one, if not sympathetic, then at least entertaining in some way. This show is a gift!

Also, I love how knowing the position of Judas in The Last Supper provides some incredibly clever foreshadowing during the manga/anime's homage. Bravo, Noda, bravo.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Golden Kamuy repeats a feat I've only seen Bacanno succeed at before; i.e. bringing together a bunch of violent, disturbed, largely amoral criminals and sociopaths together, and yet making every single one, if not sympathetic, then at least entertaining in some way. This show is a gift!

Also, I love how knowing the position of Judas in The Last Supper provides some incredibly clever foreshadowing during the manga/anime's homage. Bravo, Noda, bravo.

That comparison to Bacanno is spot on. With both shows, there have been characters that I initially disliked and hoped would go away, but they somehow won me over.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'll admit that I didn't post in the Best of 2018 feature because that monster thread got over 150 posts before I had a chance...
...But it's unacceptable that THE Best Anime of 2018, wasn't chosen in any critic's top 5 or honorable mentions! It wasn't even chosen as a top 5 of the Fall season! For shame!

What other anime this year took the over-the-top manservice, action and humor of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, mixed it up with homages to pop culture as diverse as classic Westerns (as in, Spaghetti), Samurai flicks, Hannibal Lector (I saw the sequel to Silence of the Lambs at a sleepover as a teen and will never forget that freaky scene where he fries up his victim's brain and feeds it to him), classic art, etc; treats its Native Ainu and Matagi characters with the upmost respect (better than most Westerns treated their Native American characters), treats its female characters with respect, and has some of the most motivationally complex and/or morally gray characters that we're still not sure if we can trust (I *love* the idea of Inkarmat being the author insert character!) and uses it all to present an affecting, psychologically resonant and brilliant treatise on war veterans with PTSD?

To be fair, I'm biased, because I fell in love with the story before the anime came out. From the moment I read the part of the manga where this tough, deadly, obviously traumatized vet attempted to become a mama bear to an orphaned cub, and I knew that no matter how violently outrageous the story would get, it's heart would beat with empathy.

This story has some great things to say about how trauma shapes people and informs their beliefs. That's my main draw to it, but it manages to stay fun even in its darkest moments. I can't think of many shows that can balance those elements as well as Golden Kamuy, even if its respect for Native Cultures gets pedantic at times and the occasional CG bear breaks suspension of disbelief more than Hijikata still kicking butt and taking names at ~70ish.
TL;DR Why isn't this the most popular seinen anime of 2018?! It deserves it! That, and another season. And Viz to speed up their manga production, dang it!
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:

I did a comparison between the two images:

There are some other interesting pairings besides spoiler[Kiroranke/Judas]. Hijikata sits at the end of the table where Simon Zelotes is placed. Simon is perhaps the most enigmatic of the apostles, and there are a number of conflicting stories about when and how he died. Seems appropriate given the mystery of Hijikata's survival despite supposedly having died at the Battle of Hakodate in 1869.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I really hope we end up getting another season. I didn't expect that I would enjoy it as much as I did when I started, and it came away as one of, if not the top, series of 2018 for me.

Yeah hopefully we do.

fathomlessblue wrote:

Hadn't thought about that but that's a good point.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I would watch a spin-off which focusses solely on Tsurumi and his ever-growing harem. Also, i can't stay mad at Ogata once he does that thing with his hair...

But yeah, great show, i really hope we'll get another season.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I binged the manga in 2 days and it's now one of my favorite manga! I started watching the anime and finished the first season. If you loved the anime, YOU HAVE TO read the manga.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 am Reply with quote
...well, I have to admit, I did assume this series was gritty historical fiction of some sort and not, uh, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. But as the only anime fan who doesn't watch JoJo, I'm probably still gonna have to pass on this one.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm logging into my ANN account for the first time in forever to say THANK YOU for selling this series to me. I finally sat down and watched season 1 of Golden Kamuy... and despite its BEST ATTEMPTs to turn me off of this (mainly the pretty terrible animation... CGI bears are only half the problem here).... this series is friggen amazing. My husband is yelling at me for laughing out (really) loud at the "dick-sensei" jokes and I don't even know how to explain to him the really nice guy taxidermist plot. HALP please
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1