• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Wins Critics' Choice Award Over Mirai

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Good, it had one of the better and NEW types on animation!
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
ITSV deserves all of the awards its received tbh. Although Mirai is a great film in its own right.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Mirai was good and all but Spider-Man earned it.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I understand the annoyance that anime movies never win but to be fair Spider Verse was pretty damn amazing though and honestly deserved it
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I mean, Into The Spider Verse is way too good to not win these awards
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that didn't like how the animation looked in Spiderverse? I haven't seen the actual movie, just one or two trailers for it, but the animation looked kind of choppy, like it was moving at a ridiculously low framerate.
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Am I the only one that didn't like how the animation looked in Spiderverse? I haven't seen the actual movie, just one or two trailers for it, but the animation looked kind of choppy, like it was moving at a ridiculously low framerate.

The low framerate is intentional, since it's supposed to add to the movie's overall "moving comic book" aesthetic. Personally I didn't have a problem with it, but I can see why some would find it underwhelming.

That said, congrats to Spider-verse for the win! I know it sucks that anime movies don't get enough recognition in the west, but this movie deserved it.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

I maybe didn't have as negative opinion as you about the art direction after watching the trailer, but I wasn't enthused about the low frame rate either. I've since seen the movie, and I can tell you the trailer doesn't really do it justice. The movie looks really great, even despite the intentional low framerate. So maybe give it a try before making a final judgement, or don't if you don't want to, but then just keep that in mind.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

You have to look at it in context. Most American movies have that lifeless, plastic CG look to it, so anything different is going to stand out . Mirai is beautiful, but it's anime, so it's expected to look beautiful. So even though Spider-Verse looks ugly and has that low framerate gimmick, the fact it's different from Pixar/Dreamworks stuff is going to make people vote for it. Obviously objectively Mirai is a prettier and better animated film, but awards aren't about that kind of stuff.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

As someone who was majorly put off by the framerate in the trailers, it's actually a much smoother experience in theaters, and I think this is because they animators know when to animate on 1's (an all-flowing experience a la Pixar and "normal" CG animation) and when to stick to 2's (the choppier experience anime generally animates on). The trailer is the worst example of this because it's cutting between scenes that vary what framerate they animate on, but the movie itself is actually fine. My problem was more the chromatic aberration, which took some time to adjust to.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Obviously objectively Mirai is a prettier and better animated film

There are tons of people who don't even remotely like the aesthetics of anime character designs, and would probably tell you that old Popeye cartoons "objectively" look prettier than Mirai. Wink
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh man was 2018 that long? I really liked Isles of Dogs, and up until Spiderverse I hoped it would snag a few awards, as I think it deserves some recognition as well. But with Spiderverse's timing...right at the end of the year and fresh in everyone's memories...yeah tough break IoD. In another year maybe.

I haven't watched Spiderverse yet, but I will. In Japan at the moment so have to wait for the March release. Frustrating Japan delay premiere
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Most American movies have that lifeless, plastic CG look to it, so anything different is going to stand out .

Which movies do you see as lifeless plastic CG?
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
Most American movies have that lifeless, plastic CG look to it, so anything different is going to stand out .

I wouldn't describe it as "lifeless plastic", but it is true that most American animated things these days look very samey, which is silly when computers really can make anything possible. No creativity at all. Spiderverse definitely stands out for looking very different. Of course, most anime looks very samey as well. People get wowed when something beautiful shows up that also dared to be different.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

All the mainstream ones tend to look pretty homogeneous. Wreck it Ralph 2, Hotel Transylvania 3, and Incredibles 2 all used that same kind of cartoony style. Like meruru said there's numerous styles you can do with computers, like cel-shading or imitating other mediums like claymation or sto-motion, but most of the big mainstream movies generally do the same thing every year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3