• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fate/Grand Order Anime Producers Say Anime Will Be Accessible to Non-Players

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Nasu said the same thing about Last Encore.

Quote:
Both projects credit Takeshi Takeuchi (Fate anime franchise) as the lead character designer.

Takashi
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
That's half good to know, but kinda disappointing that Septem won't get a movie. I mean, the story was so-so. But more Nero animated would always be welcomed.
Kidkidd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
As much as having them exist separate from each other helps get newcomers in, as a long time player, I REALLY hope that one day we can see solomon animated. Perhaps as an OVA sequel to babylonia if it does well enough. I hope there is some info on or flashback to orleans through america sprinkled in throughout the upcoming adaptations to make working in solomons story a bit easier.

Or don't. fudge it. The game is so big already, an OVA based on solomon that assumes you know the story would probably already sell enough to be considered successful. I just need it. Please D=
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
While I do think much of the story of any of the singularities could stand on its own, I wonder how they will manage to include some other parts that may not work without referencing the events of other singularities. Specifically, the references to the antagonist of the overarching plot's first arc in Babylonia and Mash's development. I mean I could see using flashbacks to get the gist of those, but that would kind of spoil certain events from some of the previous singularities, which could make it more difficult to adapt them, even for the other one that will be adapted. I mean, it wouldn't be too much of a problem for me as a game player, but I am surprised that they are trying to make it accessible to non-game players, given their choice singularities and the order they are adapting them it.

I do have one question: if this adaptation does bring in people who haven't played the game, and leads them to take up the game, spoiler[could they get past the first arc or even finish that arc after the pillar event is already over? In other words, is there a version of Solomon that players can beat outside of that event, or are they just SOL for the rest of the story?]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:12 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I do have one question: if this adaptation does bring in people who haven't played the game, and leads them to take up the game, spoiler[could they get past the first arc or even finish that arc after the pillar event is already over? In other words, is there a version of Solomon that players can beat outside of that event, or are they just SOL for the rest of the story?]
Yes. A player who missed the big end of year EVERYONE WORKS TOGETHER bonanza gets to beat up each midboss once for a ticket and then the final boss battles. All they miss are the all-you-can-farm raids.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't follow the franchise, so I am asking this: counting video or computer routes and light novel and manga spin-offs, prequels or sequels, how many routes or series are left before the entire franchise has gotten at least 1 anime adaptation?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Nasu said the same thing about Last Encore.

Quote:
Both projects credit Takeshi Takeuchi (Fate anime franchise) as the lead character designer.

Takashi

Thanks, I fixed it in the other articles in News too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:08 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
While I do think much of the story of any of the singularities could stand on its own, I wonder how they will manage to include some other parts that may not work without referencing the events of other singularities. Specifically, the references to the antagonist of the overarching plot's first arc in Babylonia and Mash's development. I mean I could see using flashbacks to get the gist of those, but that would kind of spoil certain events from some of the previous singularities, which could make it more difficult to adapt them, even for the other one that will be adapted. I mean, it wouldn't be too much of a problem for me as a game player, but I am surprised that they are trying to make it accessible to non-game players, given their choice singularities and the order they are adapting them it.

I only see that as an issue for Camelot's Mash spoilers since it seems the Babylonia tv series will release first. I don't think mentioning the name of the behind the scenes antagonist is a big deal, and I don't see how any of that would stop it from working. Even in First Order you know someone is organizing the incineration of human history. As far as Babylonia and Camelot go, it doesn't matter in the slightest who that person is.

Also, I think the point of skipping to Camelot and Babylonia is in part to make something that can stand strong alone. They could have continued off right at the end of First Order, but a weak story when read in sequence won't somehow become a strong stand alone story. I'd say you have it backwards and that only the people who have played the game and just want to see things animated would really care. Most everyone else will just be looking for a good anime or a good Fate story.
Flü

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:57 am Reply with quote
I mean, it better be?
Isn't this supposed to also get new players into FGO?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
Flü wrote:
I mean, it better be?
Isn't this supposed to also get new players into FGO?

I'm not a game player, but I suspect others can point to game-based anime where anyone that hadn't played the game found themselves a bit in the dark. While that could simply be a case of the producers not thinking things through, it could also be a deliberate plan to encourage people to play the game to understand the anime better. (While the latter leaves out those in countries where the game isn't available but the anime is, I expect those with such a thought process simply don't care).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I only see that as an issue for Camelot's Mash spoilers since it seems the Babylonia tv series will release first. I don't think mentioning the name of the behind the scenes antagonist is a big deal, and I don't see how any of that would stop it from working. Even in First Order you know someone is organizing the incineration of human history. As far as Babylonia and Camelot go, it doesn't matter in the slightest who that person is.

Also, I think the point of skipping to Camelot and Babylonia is in part to make something that can stand strong alone. They could have continued off right at the end of First Order, but a weak story when read in sequence won't somehow become a strong stand alone story. I'd say you have it backwards and that only the people who have played the game and just want to see things animated would really care. Most everyone else will just be looking for a good anime or a good Fate story.

Like I said, I do think it would mostly work, given the singularities (aside from Solomon) have a mostly independent cast aside from the core 3 or 4 characters and a mostly standalone plot. As someone who generally hasn't read/played the source material for anime, I don't think it will be difficult to understand what going on. It's just that on the antagonist, depending on what they do, it could be very apparent to anime-only viewers that they missed a reveal. They could put that reveal in the series, but it could spoil it in the singularity that it happens in if they ever adapt it. I do agree that Camelot and Babylonia are the strongest parts of the first arc (that would be apt to adapt as a standalone story), but if it does end up being successful, they'll want to adapt more of it eventually, though I guess they could just skip to the parts in between the first and second arcs.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
They could put that reveal in the series, but it could spoil it in the singularity that it happens in if they ever adapt it. I do agree that Camelot and Babylonia are the strongest parts of the first arc (that would be apt to adapt as a standalone story), but if it does end up being successful, they'll want to adapt more of it eventually, though I guess they could just skip to the parts in between the first and second arcs.

I think the chance of them back-filling the less popular singularities with anime adaptations is essentially zero so I don't think spoiling London for a future adaptation is an issue. Those are not only a lot less popular but now they've already adapted out of order. It was also super heavily hinted at who was behind it earlier due to the existence of the spoiler[Demon Pillars] anyway.

If they do more, it will probably be Epic of Remnant or Cosmos of the Lostbelt. Maybe the finale for part 1, but I wonder if they'd want to fully spoil the ending to the game.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Isn’t FGO ending soon? Not sure why they wanna get more people interested in the game if that’s true
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Isn’t FGO ending soon? Not sure why they wanna get more people interested in the game if that’s true

AFAIK, just the main story is ending. The game will probably continue with events and/or standalone singularities written by someone other than Nasu.
junkozero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Well this anime's already a flop (Not that there was any hope for it to begin with)
They ask fans what they'd like to see adapted and act like they're giving them an anime adaptation of what they wanted (This was decided via poll) during the anniversary then decide to spit in our faces and dumb it down cause anime onlies.
Fate/stay night is the only Fate anime that needs to exist now
That Kurosaki person doesn't even seem to understand the issue was with the movies coming out first rather than the series but whatever. At least ufotable cares. These other studios should just stick to CMs freaking
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2