• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Senran Kagura 7even Game Developer 'Reconsidering' Content Due to Platform Regulations

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:28 am Reply with quote
> Can't show breast bouncing

RIP Dead or Alive
Dukeduke3dd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:41 am Reply with quote
inb4 its all sony's fault
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many years it will take for the content market to correct itself and a platform steps in to fill the market demand for ecchi games?
Larryg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
Dukeduke3dd wrote:
inb4 its all sony's fault

It's all Sony's fault.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:20 am Reply with quote
Ultraviolence and gore = ok

Boob = bad

thanks America
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:07 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
> Can't show breast bouncing

RIP Dead or Alive

iirc didn't they say they were done with that in the latest one?

also he should move to PC...yes, it may nto be a "Shooter liked" as console, but between the risk (liek happened) of not beign able to release your product cause of restrictions.....time=money. PC market has many platforms which allow that stuff.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:12 am Reply with quote
I don't think they're worried about what is allowed, they're worried about whether there are any buyers. Moving a franchise from one platform to another is very expensive just in terms of losing customers who can't follow you. The choices are:

-PC Only with Boobs (probably not enough customers)

-PC and PS4 without Boobs (losing one of the franchise's calling cards)

-PC with Boobs and PS4 without Boobs (too expensive in terms of development costs, when each version has the drawbacks above)

They don't really have any good options here, but they're going with door number 2 in the hopes that their fans will still enjoy what's left.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:40 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
PC with Boobs and PS4 without Boobs (too expensive in terms of development costs, when each version has the drawbacks above)

While not platform-related, it is a known fact that a bunch of KOEITECMO games have censored blood in JP, while overseas versions get the full bloody package. The last Hokuto no Ken game and the Berserk one were like that also.

Going by that I would assume boob jiggle or clothes ripping could also be handled like that, but what do I know I'm not a game developer and I hate coding, so maybe it's way more complicated than blood and dismemberment.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:35 am Reply with quote
Its really freaking depressing. The over the top sexiness was half of why I loved Senran Kagura. It would not be the same game without it.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:07 am Reply with quote
Wow the worlds going to be such a fun place when the whiners eventually get everything their own way. Rolling Eyes

Anyone else checked out the new MK trailers showcasing it's Extreme Ultra Violence. That's totally acceptable but some bouncing oppai and "undressing" aren't, FML.

It's worth noting that they only seem to be going after anime titty (JP games) as opposed to anything produced by a western developer.

The onus really is on the big developers and publisher to protect the gamers they apparently cater to here. If they came out in defence of creative freedoms and explicitly stated they would move to or only release their games on platforms that don't enforce unnecessary censorship. Sony would soon change their tune because they couldn't afford to lose their AAA titles.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:48 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Ultraviolence and gore = ok

Boob = bad

thanks America

It’s not just America, it’s worldwide. So thanks Sony America, Europe, Japan and whatever ones I left out. Sure they moved to California, but Sony showed signs of not really wanting ecchi games even before that. Like the Fruit Of Grisaia series, Sony was like nah to it when it went up for approval. It looked like it was going to succeed but obviously did not and that was before they moved https://www.siliconera.com/2016/01/25/fruit-grisaia-final-stages-approval-ps-vita/

Basically Sony has always been strict, but now all of a sudden they started really cracking down to pretty much say Anime-style + Boobs = Not happening. Though Western games will probably not be effected by it which is ironic since those show full nudity rather than just bikinis, bras, panties or even covered up by steam or light beams.

Plus if this spreads to other systems too, it’s pretty much say goodbye Senran Kagura, DOA will just be another fighting game with nothing to draw people in that will try to be more male fighters with a few girls with awful outfits which sounds really boring, Soul Calibur would have to drop it’s Create A Character and no Armor Breaks. Visual Novels would probably be like girls from their mid 20s to mid 30s.

Basically things are slowly changing for niche gamers and not for the better. Plus I don’t see how this would benefit Japanese Developers unless they can all figure how to make their games as insect as possible. Developing for Steam is a possibility, but I don’t know if I would want to buy all of my games on Steam.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for the next Senran Kagura game to be rated E for "Comic Mischief". Even then Germany might ban it. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
They should definitely not support Sony's regulations.

Instead release it for Switch and PC, make a "europe version", which contains all european languages and include english text on the asian release, so that people in countries, where the rating fails, can import it.
Also announce on twitter that the game can't be released on PS4 like originally announced due to Sony declining it because of their new policies. So their fans know that changing platforms is not the developers fault.

Show Sony that with their new unneccessary harsh policies, they loose publishers and game studios, who created content for their consoles since a long time.

If studios and publishers start to adjust their games that drastically for Sony, censorship will continue to spread - in order to not offend people, who wouldn't buy these types of games anyways.
It simply disgusts me. RIP all fanservice-oriented franchises T.T
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
All this censor its absurd, they should really get over it or damn focus on babie games from now on.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it just because the characters are underage since I haven't heard any word on Catherine Fullbody being censored.
Sony shouldn't be this tough on the regulations, they just alienate their customers and game developers. I feel like fans of these game should make petitions to sony
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3