• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yakuza Creator Toshihiro Nagoshi Comments on Game's Female Fanbase

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Kazuma Kiryu: Women want him and men want to be him.
Wellington

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I commend the guy for keeping Yakuza what it is and not going for female audience. Unlike Bang Dream that is making a lame boy band for more audience and money. And Pretty Cure that thinks breaking boundaries by bringing a stupid magical boy to pander to other groups who are eating it up makes them the better magical show.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
I commend the guy for keeping Yakuza what it is and not going for female audience. Unlike Bang Dream that is making a lame boy band for more audience and money. And Pretty Cure that thinks breaking boundaries by bringing a stupid magical boy to pander to other groups who are eating it up makes them the better magical show.

At last something that knows how to cater to its intended audience. Now time to moan about a show aimed at children not appealing to my particular adult sensibilities!

*Whispers* Buddy, you're projecting a little

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think it's kinda sweet that he's completely oblivious exactly why the Yakuza franchise is so popular with female & international fans. It's similar to how 50 Cent tried to look super macho and tough on his early album covers, but ended becoming a meme in the gay community for a while (mostly ironically, I'm sure). It's hard not to smile at the disconnect between how different groups can view something.
Wellington

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
At last something that knows how to cater to its intended audience. Now time to moan about a show aimed at children not appealing to my particular adult sensibilities!

Oh look! A magical girl show just made a magical boy for the very first time in its 15 year history! About time we have some diversities here. This is the best damn magical girls show ever! Hooray for breaking boundaries and catering to more people!
typhonkona

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:

Oh look! A magical girl show just made a magical boy for the very first time in its 15 year history! About time we have some diversities here. This is the best damn magical girls show ever! Hooray for breaking boundaries and catering to more people!

To be fair magical girl shows were like My Little Pony in the sense that it’s target audience was for little girls, but amassed a huge male audience. Plus Boueibu became a huge success at showing magical boys so yeah. Plus you didn’t see him in every episode & besides the Japanese seem to dislike the green magical girl. Aside from that people have been begging for magical boys for quite some time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
He said that younger guys like yakuza theres the guys they want to be when they grow up, but I'm a grown up and I like it because I relate lol
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:

Again, that’s another rant regarding your biases rather than any salient point. Precure is a show primarily for children and that’s who it’s catered for. I mean, naturally watch it if you like the franchise, but if it starts focusing on things you don’t like such as, errr… diversity and equality (in a Magical Girl show? Shocking!), then perhaps it’s time to sit back and re-evaluate it as a show for a modern generation of kids, rather than what you, as a fully-grown otaku feel you’re owed.

Of course, if you want throw out conspiracy theories about some sort liberal brainwashing to deflect from your own entitled perceptions, by all means go for it. However, if you genuinely believe a company as infamously mercantile as Toei is doing this for reasons other than laser-precise market research and focus testing telling them such content will bring in the most emotional investment (& therefore profit) from domestic audiences, you’re only deluding yourself.

There's nothing wrong with wanting certain things from your media, but making demands on companies (particularly with something primary aimed at a completely different target audience, like Precure) to conduct business based on your own wants, rather than what will lead lead them to the highest possible yield, is frankly unhealthy, and will likely cause you nothing but heartbreak as a consumer.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
I commend the guy for keeping Yakuza what it is.

I'm agree on this part only because it reminded me how many things were good until they changed because they wanted to please more audience when in fact they already were attracting all kinds of people

Question Question Question *Sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I am also surprised at Ryu ga Gotoku's popularity overseas. It seemed like a game too steeped in Japanese culture to appeal to foreigners, but I'm glad to see people can appreciate it. I agree with Nagoshi san about keeping true to your own ideals and image for a game and not changing it.

Willingon wrote:

Is that what Americans are saying about Precure? It was a minor scene in one episode and something so small seems strange to focus on. HUGtto was seen as a step down from KiraKira in Japan so this is surprising.
malipro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Wellington wrote:

Considering Toei's other popular henshin kids' series have had female Sentai and Riders among their ranks and nothing drastic changed about those, the only surprise I had was why they didn't do it sooner.
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
the best way to catch women interest?
1- be cool
2- don't cater to them. Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
They know women like Yakuza for what it is. Why mess with success?
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:12 am Reply with quote
On the other hand, if they "pandered to women" we might finally get to see Kiryu hook up with one of his bro-daddies to raise his brood of foster kids. I'd buy that.
eekin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote
I don't get when the "core fans" complains about pandering to other groups. Are these "core fans" ignoring that they've been pandered to this whole time.
I'm not saying the creator should "pander" to anyone, but the double standard of: "don't give those people what they like but, keep giving me what I like confuses me. Creators shouldn't exist just to make groups happy, they should exist to make what they like(in theory). But, to demand they make it how I want it vs. how they choose to make it and be successful, is ludicrous.

In the case of Yakuza, they're decided to ignore a sect of their fanbase, because obviously the fanbase like their product how they've directed it so far. So, they're going to avoid soiling the future of their product by "keep on keeping on". That's fine, it's their property and they can run it as they wish. But, if they decide in the future to add things that "females like", that's fine too. Again it's their property, they can do what they wish.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2