• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - VOTOMS Up

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I remember an interview where the director stated that he wanted to take Gundam's WWII imagery and swap it out for Vietnam War imagery in VOTOMS. He went on to say that what often gets lost in that comparison is that - much like in Gundam - VOTOMS isn't tapping into the United States' attitudes towards the war, but rather Japan's.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I don’t know why, I just cannot get through Votoms. I guess it might be because the only character I like is Vanilla.

I’ll give it another shot some day.

Also, you should have titled this “Power Votoms”.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that Votoms was popular enough to remain in the minds of fans throughout the decades and has continued to get some short sequels as well as various spin-offs, but never another full-length TV series.

I suppose it's the fact everything is so closely tied to Chirico Cuvie. There are some spin-offs without him, but those have had a much lower profile. I think that's what sets Votoms apart from Gundam and Macross as properties.

Sunrise did try to make some entirely new Votoms productions a few years ago, but they seemed more like experiments as opposed to anything else.
saintelle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
Great article with new (for me at least) tidbits of information!

I've always been fascinated with the seemingly endless amount of Scopedog figures (all slightly different from another).

Hopefully we'll see Chirico again in the future as a single dad (post-Phantom Arc). Or a Boogiepop Phantom approach (featuring Chirico sightings) would be cool too.[/spoiler]
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:36 am Reply with quote
I didn't realise until recently how far back the original anime was:

suggested a CD era release, rather than the anime series' run of 1983-1984.

The CD single was actually released on 21 August 1998.
Youtube clip of Honoo no Sadame.

Tetsuro Oda performed Honoo no Sadame at Animelo Summer Live 2012 (and was the music composer for the Animelo Summer Live 2012 theme song, Infinity).
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Oddly: I have never watched any of the animes; yet I have many of the model kits from the series.... (No, there is not a Stealth Model named "Snoop Dog".... B) )

Also: Weak joints? Defective hydraulics? Brittle armor? Wow -- someone *actually thought through* what mecha would be like.... >:)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:34 am Reply with quote
"Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation.
Deep space is my dwelling place,
The stars my destination.
"

Man... It's a good day when a nowadays little appreciated SF classic gets called out in an anime review.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1