• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hakuōki, Time Travel Girl Director Osamu Yamasaki Complains of Lack of Royalties in Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... or you can't work at another company in the same industry for a year after you've quit...

Talk about undermining the industry, literally sawing off the branch you're sitting on. It's a creative industry we're talking about after all. Confused
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... or you can't work at another company in the same industry for a year after you've quit...

The United States has this too, in Silicon Valley. Tech companies make you sign non-compete clauses that forbid you to work for competitors after you leave, in order for all the big companies to avoid having to compete with better working conditions and more pay. Not sure how legal or how enforceable it is, but knowing the political culture of the US, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's all completely legal, or at the very least, abused by employers who don't let their employees know their rights.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
It depends where you are in the US. In California, non-competes are unenforceable, and a bunch of big tech companies have been investigated under anti-trust laws regarding whether they had agreements not to go after each others' employees.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Quote:

The United States has this too, in Silicon Valley. Tech companies make you sign non-compete clauses that forbid you to work for competitors after you leave, in order for all the big companies to avoid having to compete with better working conditions and more pay. Not sure how legal or how enforceable it is, but knowing the political culture of the US, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's all completely legal, or at the very least, abused by employers who don't let their employees know their rights.

Considering how Common Law works, that would be a possibility. That would be more difficult to enforce in other countries when the laws are written in stone and cannot be interpreted in different ways at will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1