• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ANN Readers Pick 20 Anime That Need Remakes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm just really glad more people want to see Please Save My Earth remade.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Juni Kokuki is the best isekai ever.

Btw, I would have added just one more - new Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko anime.

2 OVAs are great, but I really wish we got entire manga adaptation.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
12 Kingdoms at #12? Okay, I guess that's appropriate. Though, it's certainly my #1.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Probably the only time my top 3 and ANN readers top 3 are in perfect alignment. Maybe not in terms of the order, but I'll take what I can get Very Happy
ChestPains

Psajdak wrote:
Juni Kokuki is the best isekai ever.

Btw, I would have added just one more - new Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko anime.

2 OVAs are great, but I really wish we got entire manga adaptation.

I have NO IDEA why interest in this series suddenly rose by 60000% in the last three months but I'm glad since it's my favorite. Although I don't think a new one would really capture the same style or colors the OVAs had... if anything it would look closer to ARIA which is also amazing but...

As for the list itself... over half of it don't need remakes at all.
You know what actually does desperately need one though?
Kinnikuman

Last edited by ChestPains on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thespacemaster

With both the western and japanese folks voting for Ouran highschool Host Club to be the one most need of a remake you can bet the the production commite has more than likely found there next remake project after Fruits Basket.

Followed by Reborn closley afterword. God i can't wait for this Smile im 95% sure it will happen.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
No anime needs to be remade unless the animation is a mess or some other technical aspect is seriously flawed, which these days usually gets fixed between the broadcast and physical release.

...Or the series never got completed, ie stopped after one season. But other people want Ouran remade? IT'S PERFECTLY FINE.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I assume people mean Ouran should get a continuation. Fruits Basket had to be rebooted due to the first anime altering a significant detail (I assume the manga hadn't made the reveal yet so they didn't know) but I haven't heard about the first Ouran anime changing anything.

Soul Eater, Tsubasa, and Rosario + Vampire would definitely require remakes. So would Gantz which didn't make the list.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
As a big CLAMP fan, it makes me really happy and surprised to see Tsubasa Chronicles make it to number six as I'm aware the manga was more divisive among fans but I still think we need the entire story adapted, especially now with Clear Card bringing CCS back.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Remakes are fine, especially if the series was left unfinished (lookin' at you, Gangsta.).

But before that, how about a full release of Monster, and somebody licensing Rakugo, Eccentric Family 2, and Natsume 5 & 6 at all? Those are all in my top 10 anime of all time, and no one will touch them. Crying or Very sad
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I voted for 12 Kingdoms so I'm glad to see that on there. While I can't stand the current trend of isekai anime, The 12 Kingdoms was produced before this was officially a genre. It was a great series of books but the anime got cut short despite adding so much material. But that there are several more books, and since clearly we're never going to see those released in English in their entirety, I would love to see a more faithful adaptation produced by the right studio.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Missed this poll, dammit. Vampire Knight was totally dull trash from what I saw of it, the only thing I remembered about it in fact mostly was just the opening and ending themes, I only could watch two episodes and that was it, I've no desire to see it again.

I don't know if Alita would be a good idea for a remake or not, it could look like it's trying to compete with the movie or something, and may end failing bad in comparison to it.

If there's any anime I'd like to see be remade, call me crazy, but they'd mostly be like 2-3 episode OVAs you'd see in the 90's that had good stories/concepts but didn't get completed or just were a "READ THE MANGA!!" thing (which I fear the recent Spec-Ops Asuka is going to be), like Princess Rouge, Hyper Doll or Dragon Half even.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Remakes are fine, especially if the series was left unfinished (lookin' at you, Gangsta.).
Seems like you want a sequel not a remake
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I missed the poll when this happened but I'm happy to see Pandora Hearts so high up. Damn was that anime-original "ending" terrible. Rather than having a non-conclusive ending that mostly sticks to the manga and leaves things open for a second season, or an anime original ending that diverges a bunch from the manga but at least provides a solid sense of conclusion, they decided to combine the worst of both worlds. And so we got an ending that completely diverged from the manga and would make a second season impossible without retconning it, but ALSO provided absolutely zero sense of conclusion. Not to mention it was rushed and they tried to throw in multiple climaxes and they ALL sucked.

Also, another anime I'd love to get a remake but that's pretty unlikely is Shakugan no Shana. I rather enjoyed this show, and the light novel series from what I understand was rather influential for it's time an helped establish several famous tropes, but the anime had... issues. I'm mostly going on second hand info, but there was a LOT of material cut out, including entire volumes from the light novels.

Which then was an issue when the 3rd season started throwing in characters and plotlines that referenced volumes that were never adapted. We got the conclusion to plot lines we never got the beginning of, and that made many parts of the 3rd season a big mess. I think the moment that summed this up best for me was in the 3rd season when a character says something to the effect of "we even sent Sare and Chiara but it wasn't enough" and the anime shows these characters fighting another character, and acts like it's very significant and... we've literally never heard or seen any of these characters before.

See, turns out there was an entire light novel that was JUST about these characters. The anime completely cut that out, then threw the characters into the 3rd season anyways and treated them as though we already knew who they were, and made them a big part of the climax, but never actually explained their story at all.

And it wasn't just them, that happened with other characters and plotlines as well, and it made for a very surreal experience. I also understand that in addition to major plotlines a bunch of more subtle detail and forshadowing was cut out from the novels, and changes made early on that made zero sense once further plot details were revealed.

Worst part of it though is that unlike Pandora Hearts, I can't even read the source material. Viz licensed and started to release the light novels, but that was years ago before light novels were really a thing in the US, and they never released more than two volumes. The fan translation of the novels was abandoned as well. So barring the unlikely event of a license rescue or an anime remake, the only way to actually experience the full story and find out just what the heck the deal was with all those plot lines they vaguely referenced in the final season is to learn Japanese.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
And I've seen... let's see here... none of the above. (I think I read a little of the Tsubasa: RANdom CAPiTALizAtion manga one time?) I don't know if that means I'm not a real otaku, that the voters are correct about these needing remakes because no one watches them anymore, or both.

In any case, I still generally prefer new things to remakes, because it seems like remaking a thing just creates arguments over whether the original was better, which sort of defeats the purpose of trying to make an improved version. Except for the part where it makes more money for the franchise owners. So it's probably going to continue happening regardless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3