• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fruits Basket Creator Comments on Character's Hair Color Change

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Remember. Tohru's hair was never inked in the manga, yet it's so dark on covers and in the anime.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there's a color illustration in the manga with her hair as an indigo-black.
Super_M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Is hair colour in this series important for plot? Strange for me I never thought people can complain about such thing, especially if colour change fit the character.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Is hair colour in this series important for plot? Strange for me I never thought people can complain about such thing, especially if colour change fit the character.

No, it's not important for the plot. But a lot of people don't like changes to what they are used to. It doesn't matter if the change is good or bad or neither, someone out there will complain about it.

Personally, I like this change. I think the indigo hair looks a lot better, and it's nice that they are changing it back to the way the Mangaka designed it too.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Hoping the show won't be bashed like how fans did to Sailor Moon Crystal because it followed more to the manga.
Moonside

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Ironically enough the most unfaithful thing about the new anime isn't something as facetious as the colors. It's the embarassingly generic plastic look of the character designs that makes it look like every modern anime, the same cookie cutter eyes, hair and glitter filter as its modern contemporaries, as opposed to Studio Deen's unique designs of the 2001 anime that actually did resemble the manga.

This is moreso an issue with every anime now. It all looks the same.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Inconstancy in hair color between manga and anime isn't too uncommon. Like in Detective Conan Haibara was suppose to have redish brown hair. and in the anime she's had like five different hair colors. Gunslinger girl, Fullmetal Alchemist, and and in Kino's Journey some of the character designs look 100% different. But if the manga artist is giving the thumbs up, then all is good.
Felicia—-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Moonside wrote:
Ironically enough the most unfaithful thing about the new anime isn't something as facetious as the colors. It's the embarassingly generic plastic look of the character designs that makes it look like every modern anime, the same cookie cutter eyes, hair and glitter filter as its modern contemporaries, as opposed to Studio Deen's unique designs of the 2001 anime that actually did resemble the manga.

Wait Studio Deen had a unique design? To me it’s as generic as can be.
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
As long as the story and everything is the way the creator intended it to be, I'll be fine with it because I've always wanted to know (and see) the full FruBa story (without having to read the entire manga). ONE MORE WEEK! Very Happy

I'm curious if she's going with the Akito spoiler[from her manga] though.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Moonside wrote:

The manga artist has said very specificly that she would not allow the old character designs. She was not happy with her art at the time. Also, do you mean the character designs at the begining or the end of the manga as they are not the same.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Super_M wrote:

No, it's not important for the plot. But a lot of people don't like changes to what they are used to. It doesn't matter if the change is good or bad or neither, someone out there will complain about it.

Personally, I like this change. I think the indigo hair looks a lot better, and it's nice that they are changing it back to the way the Mangaka designed it too.

Hair color in Fruits Basket IS important at least for Kyo and the 12 horoscopes. Sometimes for plot. For example, Kisa, the tiger got bullied in school because her hair color. Maybe because of this people argue about Motoko's hair.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
For once I'd just like to hear an author say "Get over it," just to put all us whiny fans in our places.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Hoping the show won't be bashed like how fans did to Sailor Moon Crystal because it followed more to the manga.

I thought people were bashing it because of the iffy art Razz

prime_pm wrote:
For once I'd just like to hear an author say "Get over it," just to put all us whiny fans in our places.

Judging by the butthurt that ensued after Zack Snyder essentially did the same to DC fans that won't go over to well either.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Some of them already have if not indirectly or subtly.

Gintama is one of them that comes straight to mind. It's one of the gags he uses often (or at least is brushed off as such).
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Yeah, I don't want our fandom to become the equivalent of that Star Wars fan who told Frank Oz that he was "more familiar" with the Yoda character than Oz was. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3