• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - No Foolin'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the P5S is obviously some type of Switch version. Not only is Joker a Smash character, but the Persona Q games are on the DS, so it's not like Atlus is opposed to working with Nintendo. The Arena games were on both Playstation and Xbox, so it almost seems strange that Atlus stuck with Sony exclusivity for the main Persona games.

I guess it is a decent question right now if it will be a port of the original P5 or not. If it's actually P5R, then it seems pointless to distinguish it in the title. If it is a port of the older game, then I could see people deciding not to buy it when an improved version is in the works for other systems.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
-Persona 5S: Yeah, it's totally plausible that Persona 5 would get a Switch port. The system is selling like mad in Japan and Joker being in Smash is the perfect opportunity for promotion. I'm also not surprised at Metroid Prime Trilogy due to its popularity. Link to the Past is really what raises my eyebrows. Maybe an anniversary edition due to the remake of Link's Awakening?

-Project Sakura Wars: Samantha Ferreira over at Anime Herald has been gushing about this for the past week and it's easy to see why. This is getting a pretty big push from SEGA what with it headlining SEGA Fes, being the cover story of Famitsu, and Kubo even making a poster and showing concept art for next week's issue of Jump.

Speaking of which, Kubo being the new character designer is really what threw me for a loop. Though, considering it's supposed to reintroduce people and invite newbies it does make more sense to bring in a more recent creator who also has international appeal (even if Bleach's ending was a mess, to say the least). Still, he always knew how to draw interesting designs. Looking forward to this.

-Genesis Mini: Man, this looks great. 40 games is more than enough, especially if they put in stuff like Phantasy Star IV, the Sonic games, Shining Force games, etc. I'll be waiting until the full roster is revealed before committing, but they're off to a good start.

-Samurai Shodown: Arrrr, matey! Looks great and having a woman named after a Jimi Hendrix doesn't hurt
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
-I'm hyped for R-Type Final 2 being a real thing that's in the works. I know that the more hardcore shooter fanbase isn't as big on it, but Final is easily one of my favorite shooters of all time. Great atmosphere, tough-but-not-unfair difficulty, & just a boatload of different ships to unlock & choose from; you can even play as Mr. Heli! Definitely going to be a part of the crowdfunding campaign, if possible.

-The new Sakura Wars looks neat, though it reminds me that I only ever played a little bit of V on the Wii. I did like what I played of that, though, so maybe I'll try to give it another go at some point. As for Kubo doing the designs, I think it makes sense, honestly. Sega obviously wants to try to more directly appeal to an international audience, which Kubo's style will attract more than Fujishima's, and I think it also works well in terms of being a "new generation" title.

-I'll probably wind up pre-ordering a Mega Drive Mini, simply because I don't know why Sega of America (& Europe) is going with the 3-button controller, especially since it all-but-officially confirms that we won't be seeing a Street Fighter II game on it, since that plays terribly on the 3-button. Thankfully, it was already confirmed that you can play any region of a game on any of the Minis, with Castlevania Bloodlines used as the direct example, which is totally brilliant of a move by Sega & M2. Also, Herzog zwei is a perfect choice for the Sega Ages brand.

-Samurai Shodown totally looks awesome, and I am seriously curious as to how today's set of professional fighting game players will be handling it come Evo, because it's the complete & total opposite of the style that those people love when it comes to fighting games. Darli Dagger looks cool, though, & I am looking forward to the Neo Geo collection when it comes out. Sure, it would have been nice to see VI included, but it's not a deal breaker, by any means.

-Finally, as for other April Fools jokes this year, the two that really annoyed me the most would have to be the "All-in-One Device that can play CDs, DVDs, BDs, 4K BDs, & even LDs", because I feel like it could (theoretically) be doable, & Hyperkin's RetroN SwaN, a replacement for the Bandai WonderSwan; such a tease for a device that would have a market (as small as it would be).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Yeah, the P5S is obviously some type of Switch version. Not only is Joker a Smash character, but the Persona Q games are on the DS, so it's not like Atlus is opposed to working with Nintendo. The Arena games were on both Playstation and Xbox, so it almost seems strange that Atlus stuck with Sony exclusivity for the main Persona games.

Not so much when you remember the original SMT games were regularly released on Nintendo systems (sans Nocturne).
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
One theory about P5S that makes sense is that Royal is an add-on only (hence PS exclusivity) while S is the "complete" version (and is available on non-Sony platforms). But, if that's all P5S is, then why would they save it for the second day of the upcoming Super Live and not on the same day as finally showing off P5R? That's the one thing that makes me think it might be a new game instead. Possibly a "Persona 5-II" in all but name? ("Persona 5 The Second?") Oh well, we'll find out in 3 weeks.

My one concern with New Sakura Wars right now is whether or not the combat is still going to be strategy-style, or if they're going to do something completely different. I'm really hoping it's still strategy.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah if they are going to release Persona on Nintendo, then I want Shin Megami on the Playstation. Its kind of sad how many good and even great RPG series were relegated to handhelds, whether the vita/psp or any iteration of ds. Shin Megami, Eterian Odyssey, all the dragon quest games US releases, and many others.

I dont oppose the port for the switch as long as it didn't take resources from any other project.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

-I'll probably wind up pre-ordering a Mega Drive Mini, simply because I don't know why Sega of America (& Europe) is going with the 3-button controller, especially since it all-but-officially confirms that we won't be seeing a Street Fighter II game on it, since that plays terribly on the 3-button. Thankfully, it was already confirmed that you can play any region of a game on any of the Minis, with Castlevania Bloodlines used as the direct example, which is totally brilliant of a move by Sega & M2. Also, Herzog zwei is a perfect choice for the Sega Ages brand.

I missed that info about multiple regions, so that's good news. I'll probably still take a wait and see approach as I already purchased the genesis collection on pc and prefer the genesis 2 version of the console as that's what I had.
Still, if the Japan version of the console has english versions of all the games that need it (like RPGs), then I'll probably end up picking that up at some point.
DLH112

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'm super excited for Sakura Wars, my backlog is already huge though D: .

The genesis/mega drive mini is... weird? awkward? Maybe I just don't have as much nostalgia for it as NES/SNES? Sega has tons of collections of these games on other platforms, and analogue's mega sg just released. The novelty of it feeling like a real console / being a quality product is nicei guess, but there are other equally good and more convenient ways to play the games.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
I preloaded Yu-Gi-Oh Legacy of the Duelist Link Evolution on the Japanese eshop yesterday, and it has English listed as a language option in the details. If you want this game asap, then you may want to go for it now.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I missed that info about multiple regions, so that's good news. I'll probably still take a wait and see approach as I already purchased the genesis collection on pc and prefer the genesis 2 version of the console as that's what I had.
Still, if the Japan version of the console has english versions of all the games that need it (like RPGs), then I'll probably end up picking that up at some point.

So far it's only the Mega Drive Mini that's confirmed to include any regional variants of the games being included, but I don't see why Sega wouldn't make that a standard across all versions of the Mini.

Then again, though, we have the whole "3-button controller" issue, so I could be wrong, & only the Mega Drive Mini will be that awesome.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

So far it's only the Mega Drive Mini that's confirmed to include any regional variants of the games being included, but I don't see why Sega wouldn't make that a standard across all versions of the Mini.

Then again, though, we have the whole "3-button controller" issue, so I could be wrong, & only the Mega Drive Mini will be that awesome.

With this info I'd guess (and hope) that M2 is just making one thing for all regions and just letting the player select what they want when they first turn it on or when each game is started. So the actual internals would be exactly the same (including the software) and it's just the shell and controllers that are different.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:43 am Reply with quote
I was very happy to see Sakura Wars again, but I was honestly very shocked by the return of R-Type.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1