• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wise Man's Grandchild

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I like this show so far. Going to keep checking it out.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I have said and thrown a lot of trash about this show, but I prefer this to a light hearted idiot harem that knows what it is over the pretentious so-edgy-it-cuts-itself idiot harems like Golbin Slayer and Shield Hero especially because of the enormous hypocrisy that Nao ended up giving.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The top comment on the Funimation page for episode sums it up best:

If the main character has a vague memory of a past life then why doesn't he have even a bit of common sense?

I'm one and done with this one, a mishmash of previous isekai stories. Too bad because it'd be watchable as a straight fantasy. A guy who spent his life studying the power of magic to the point he's the most powerful wizard in the world- without needing the extra bit of knowledge from "science" to make him oh so super special....

Wait, it also turns out he's royalty? Ok, that would have to be taken out because NO ONE would allow people in line for the throne not to study or at least have some knowledge of practical politics.

OP MC with OCD. No need for a royal pedigree.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
It is an entertaining show though it feels like an even tamer version of In Another World with My Smartphone. So far it is a typical fantasy story in that the heroes are very heroic, the villains are clearly villainous, and the protagonist falls in love in the first episode. They are still introducing the various characters so maybe there will be more to it but this might be the tamest isekai show I have seen in the last few years.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Thus far I haven't seen any reason this needed to be an isekai. It's basically just a standard fantasy anime. The MC technically being a reincarnation from another world doesn't seem to matter in the slightest, and he never acts like it either. This kinda feels like someone wrote a fantasy story, his editor told him, "Hey, those isekai are real popular right now. You should do one of those," and he tacked on a random generic isekai backstory (complete with a truck-kun cameo! [note: apparently this part wasn't even in the original novels]) prologue so he could say it was an isekai.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Wait, it also turns out he's royalty?

Nah, the old man who adopted him as his grandson just happens to be good buddies with a king, so he grew up thinking of that king sort of as an uncle. He was referring to that semi-flippantly when he said that would make him and the prince cousins.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I read all the available manga I could after episode 1 and honestly the series is straightforward enough (doesnt do anything wrong really but doesnt blow you out of the water with creativity neither)

But the main villain they show in the opening is worth keeping an eye on depending on how far they choose to adapt. His backstory is pretty interesting

Also it's worth noting funimation Is doing a same day simuldub of this and the cast seems decent enough. Would love to hear this writers and other commenters opinions on it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first two episodes of this show a lot more than I thought I would. Even though it's pretty predictable and the MC is ridiculously OP, the characters were just so charming and I enjoyed how much detail they put into the show's world building, and the animation looked pretty good to me. This is the kind of show I would probably drop in a stronger season, but there's only a few real stand outs to me this spring, so this show is harmless enough for me to keep watching it for now.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I've read some of the source webnovel and manga for this.It does a few minor things differently from other shounen-oriented webnovels of its kind.

- There's NO harem. The MC and other characters will group into respective romantic pairings (as opposed to most that designate nearly all its female characters as romantic partners for the MC.)

- Other male characters get to take the spotlight and shine. It's very rare for shounen webnovels to have a male supporting character ("the cool bro") that gets to contribute to the plot. Majority of these novels will have just have the male MC surrounded by his contributing girls while the side males get put aside, since 1 guy; many girls is often the appeal point for male webnovel readers.

(Supporting males exist more in shoujo/otome webnovels, not just to appeal to women readers, but also to introduce male characters without breaking the commitment to the female MCs one true pairing with the designated lead.)
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why there's a lot of people who miss the point of this story. The MC only forget how he die, he remember the rest, he got something to do with science and some other earth's knowledge in his past life and use it to power up the new world's magic and make it more efficient. Oh, and he also use it to make new magic because from what he know, that world's magic rely mostly from something like imagination. That in itself is a "how he revolutionaze other world's magic" kind of plot. The common sense he doesn't have is only about 'the thing exclusively in the new world' + 'there's no one who tell him' like the currency, power level of 'ordinary' people(not his grandpa standard), and about if other people know what he know or not.

Well, even after I say all of that...yes, this story is still cliche af. But that's the point, and I'm fine with it...sadly.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

- Other male characters get to take the spotlight and shine. It's very rare for shounen webnovels to have a male supporting character ("the cool bro") that gets to contribute to the plot. Majority of these novels will have just have the male MC surrounded by his contributing girls while the side males get put aside, since 1 guy; many girls is often the appeal point for male webnovel readers.

(Supporting males exist more in shoujo/otome webnovels, not just to appeal to women readers, but also to introduce male characters without breaking the commitment to the female MCs one true pairing with the designated lead.)

This only really true of harems tho. In shounen manga and such it's very common for other male characters to shine. Also harems usually only exist because there is no commitment until the very end of story (if any at all). You make sound if the MC is picking one girl and chasing the next one afterwards. The romance are just teases and nothing else.

Beyond that none of what you said necessarily means this will be a quality story. It just means that it is slightly wishfullment than some of it's peers. It doesn't mean writing itself will be any good or any of characters raise much beyond their archetypes.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Like Rebecca, I'm most annoyed by the school stuff being structured too similarly to the way it's done in Japan; it doesn't feel like the series was even trying there.

Otherwise I'm finding this one to have just enough different flavor to be worth following, at least for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:38 am Reply with quote
RegisterJustForComment wrote:
I don't know why there's a lot of people who miss the point of this story.
Well, even after I say all of that...yes, this story is still cliche af. But that's the point, and I'm fine with it...sadly.

I pretty much agree with your whole post. The reincarnation mechanics are lifted almost verbatim from Knight's & Magic, i.e., not a big deal to the story.

So far, with the exception of the whiny boob love interest, I like all the characters I'm supposed to like. Everything seems relaxingly pleasant, and sometimes that's just the ticket.

My only reservation at the moment is that I'm not sure I can get past a butler named Steve.
GhostOfShowsPast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:55 am Reply with quote
I remember reading some of the novel and thought it was a fine light hearted series only major issue I remember having was Sizilien as I could not stand her.
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
zztop wrote:

This only really true of harems tho. In shounen manga and such it's very common for other male characters to shine. Also harems usually only exist because there is no commitment until the very end of story (if any at all). You make sound if the MC is picking one girl and chasing the next one afterwards. The romance are just teases and nothing else.

Beyond that none of what you said necessarily means this will be a quality story. It just means that it is slightly wishfullment than some of it's peers. It doesn't mean writing itself will be any good or any of characters raise much beyond their archetypes.

My apologies, I should've explained myself better for those points. Razz

Shounen manga like Black Clover do make their male characters shine, like Asta and Yuno. I think you might be conflating shounen manga dynamics with webnovel dynamics.

I was specifically referring to Narou webnovels aimed at male readers (what I refer to as shounen webnovels) working more on wish fulfullment harem dynamics, like what you see in titles like In Another World With My Smartphone. Plus those harem romances will end up turning into full on romances with all the girls (at least for those webnovels.)

I agree that what I said doesn't guarantee quality, this is just to show how the author chose to shake things up a bit. The fact that other readers point this out show how often most recent webnovels tend to follow certain cliches and tropes established by previous, more successful webnovels. For example, author sees people like reading titles with harems in them, so they'll also use harems in their works to get reader attention and popularity as well.

I hope this clears up any confusion you might have had on my post.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying this anime so far.

Super op character in another world.

Comedy is pretty good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6