• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Animation Producers Practice Their Pitching Skills In English

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
So if I ever win the lottery they can pitch an idea to me.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty neat idea and with anime becoming more global than ever actually makes a lot of sense.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They were puzzled by the fact that the story seemed dark but the artwork gave the impression of a family-friendly story. Nagano explained that this was Oshiyama's style as an auteur, but the (international) producers were still bothered by the disparity between the teaser footage and the pitch, and said that the pitch should have been up-front about the target audience and tone of the film.

If it were up to western (or American film) producers we would never have Puella Magi Madoka Magica at all and other similar anime since then. In fact "family friendly" should not exclude dark themes at all. There's already signs of producers censoring creative staff for international audiences and I just hope this doesn't increase.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This was the only pitch that pushed the director's name as a selling point. However, it didn't appear that any of the international producers giving feedback knew of Kiyotaka Oshiyama. They were puzzled by the fact that the story seemed dark but the artwork gave the impression of a family-friendly story. Nagano explained that this was Oshiyama's style as an auteur, but the producers were still bothered by the disparity between the teaser footage and the pitch, and said that the pitch should have been up-front about the target audience and tone of the film.

Goddamn, seriously? Are they even interested in anime or watch anything exept for a few popular titles? His flip flappers is awesome and I would give him whatever he wants so he would make another masterpiece.

Also, looks like they haven't see madoka, hunter x hunter, girl's last tour, don't know about the promised neverland. Shame on those people with narrow mind and lack of imagination. Hopefully Oshiyama's project would be funded by other investors, that care about anime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

If it were up to western (or American film) producers we would never have Puella Magi Madoka Magica at all and other similar anime since then.

Well they would make sense as PMMM is a twisted subversion on a genre that's not exactly established outside of Japan. Plus it's also an anime and you know well that's regarded in some places.

configspace wrote:
In fact "family friendly" should not exclude dark themes at all.

Family friendly material even in western works doesn't always exclude dark themes but also something that's doesn't need to be in all family family works either. Since as it is your primary audience for these type of works are still children who not every parent is going to want to expose to certain things (not unless they want to be stuck sharing their bed with their kids for an extended period).
Grammaton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 am Reply with quote
I work on animation and I've had the oportunity to pitch projects to various major networks (CN and so) several times, and I can tell you that most of the time the executives attending the pitches are oblivious about what people are watching nowadays. Sometimes the last animation shows they actually watched were something from the 90s, and try to compare everything to that. Plus, none of them are actually trained in anything related to animation, cinema, narrative or art, and they love to talk about what they need in relation to that, but the truth is, if they really knew what they need, they would do it themselves and wouldn't need to travel the world in search for the "next big thing".
In some very limited occations, you may get a veteran animator, director or producer in among the listeners who can actually give you some very valuable feedback, but even so, most of the time they don't have a say in the decission making, they bring them just for show.

That being said, it doesn't cease to amaze me (and sadden me), how easely animators, directors and producers bend like noodles in front of these executives. It's a real inferiority complex in the industry that can nullify all their previous passion and conviction for a project, just to please these superior beings.

(Sorry if it was super long, but I felt I could give a bit of context about what happens in this kind of events. All being said, I've actually had very good results myself. Once you know your audience, you know what to sell them and how. )
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:

Goddamn, seriously? Are they even interested in anime or watch anything exept for a few popular titles? His flip flappers is awesome and I would give him whatever he wants so he would make another masterpiece.

Also, looks like they haven't see madoka, hunter x hunter, girl's last tour, don't know about the promised neverland. Shame on those people with narrow mind and lack of imagination. Hopefully Oshiyama's project would be funded by other investors, that care about anime.

Now that trailer is out, holy crap! This is crazy intense like a small scaled Princess Mononoke! Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1