• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Academy Reveals Eligibility Rule Changes for Animated Feature Film, Short Film Categories

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
The biggest problem is you have people voting in the category who haven't seen the films nominated. Now, I'm not saying Mirai should have won (I didn't love it), but that there's a definite Disney/Pixar bias nearly every year.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Does that mean if "Insert Animated Film" releases in 2019 but also has showings in 2020 it is eligible for an Academy Award in 2020 (presuming it doesn't get nominated/shortlisted in 2019)? This would help titles like Your Name which had theatrical showings all over the place; Japanese, Premiere US Run, and then Full U.S. Run.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
The biggest problem is you have people voting in the category who haven't seen the films nominated. Now, I'm not saying Mirai should have won (I didn't love it), but that there's a definite Disney/Pixar bias nearly every year.

need to sneakily add Akira and see if it is voted for over a Disney style one....if it loses then thats a serious issue revealed.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the voters need to at least have seen all of the nominated films to make their decision. And it shouldn't just be the technical experts in the field, but voters who are general critics and general film-makers too to get the most suitable aggregate of both artistry, tech and storytelling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1