• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Revenge of the Phantom Thieves

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MegaMooseJam2008

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Moero Chronicle is actually a bit different than your typical Compile Heart JRPG in that it's not in the Explore FIeld -> Hit Enemy Symbol -> Turn Based but Free Moving Combat that their other titles have. (Like Neptunia, Fairy Fencer F, and the more recent Death End Re;Quest.)

It's a full-on dungeon crawler in a similar vein to Etrian Odyssey (or more like Dungeon Travelers 2.) It doesn't have a very complicated battle system, standard turn-based RPG stuff for the most part. But with the sheer number of party members available, making cool team comps is fun, and it's an all around competent entry for the genre. (As long as you can appreciate or at least stomach the stripping and bouncing.)
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, given that Musou games always have like a bazillion characters, how many of you are betting that some older Persona cast members (and maybe even some general MegaTen representatives) turn up? It'd be interesting to see how they slot into whatever story the game gives us.

I doubt P1 & 2 characters would show up given that Atlus keeps them separate outside of the key art for the 20th anniversary event. Best case scenario, we get P3 & 4 expansions. But if the use of "action RPG" isn't just marketing and this is a more ambitious Musou game than usual, maybe this really will just star the P5 cast.

Or maybe they'll throw us for a loop and the only DLC character will be from DOA. Because why have one pony-tailed Kasumi running around when you can have two?
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I know people were disappointed that P5 isn't coming to switch, but while I wouldn't have been disappointed if it did, so more people could play it, I'm happy to see we're getting a new game instead. I had a lot of fun with Zelda, Fire Emblem & One Piece warriors games. I wonder if there's any chance of it coming out this year...

DRWii wrote:
I doubt P1 & 2 characters would show up given that Atlus keeps them separate outside of the key art for the 20th anniversary event. Best case scenario, we get P3 & 4 expansions. But if the use of "action RPG" isn't just marketing and this is a more ambitious Musou game than usual, maybe this really will just star the P5 cast.

Or maybe they'll throw us for a loop and the only DLC character will be from DOA. Because why have one pony-tailed Kasumi running around when you can have two?

I'd be surprised if they didn't have some P3 & P4 characters "in the box" just to keep the playable characters above a certain number. I could definitely see P1 & P2 characters being DLC though.

They did a good job adapting Fire Emblem to bring in the class advancement and strategy elements with FE Warriors, so it should be interesting to see how they adapt Persona's RPG elements =)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
-Persona 5R: Yeah, pretty much expected an update, though I am disappointed the new girl is just another Phantom Thief instead of an alternate Joker. I just hope they allow it to be a DLC expansion instead of forcing me to buy the game again.

-Persona 5S: Ah, good to see another crazy Warriors collaboration. Hyrule Warriors is still the gold standard, so hopefully they have that amount of craziness in it
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
p1 & p2? What's that? doesn't the persona series start inexplicably at p3????

Crying or Very sad
i'd actually buy (heck, even care about for starters) the game if i could play as p1 and p2 characters...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Burgertime was a very early international hit for Data East, and odds are you'll still find plenty of old arcade junkies who fondly remember the trials and tribulations of Peter Pepper in his war against mutated meats and veggies.

Although probably remembered more for its ad for the Intellivision cartridge in the 80's: Laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeRFnkelBI4 ("We're closed now!")

harminia wrote:
p1 & p2? What's that? doesn't the persona series start inexplicably at p3????
Crying or Very sad

I actually didn't even know there WAS a Persona 1 & 2, until the (ahemNEETstereotype) Hermit Arcana girl in P3 kept talking about being hooked on "Innocent Sin".

I'd just assumed Atlus had made P3 the "third" game after the first two Digital Devil Saga games. Confused
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-Persona 5R: Yeah, pretty much expected an update, though I am disappointed the new girl is just another Phantom Thief instead of an alternate Joker. I just hope they allow it to be a DLC expansion instead of forcing me to buy the game again.

-Persona 5S: Ah, good to see another crazy Warriors collaboration. Hyrule Warriors is still the gold standard, so hopefully they have that amount of craziness in it

There's no DLC for P5 for Royal. Considering the amount of changes they are making, it'll be reflected throughout the entire game and wont just be sectioned off as its own thing, so I can see why... Best hope would be that it at least carries over some stuff from your old save file like completed social links, stats, cash and persona list.

As for Musou characters, I feel some P3/P4 characters are guaranteed as cameos. So Mitsuru and Akihiko from P3, and likely Rise from P4, and I'd guess Kanji, as he fits that bad boy rebel vibe. I can see some new characters being created and maybe giving some of P5's social links a go, like Iwai with a gun, Shinya in a game-like level, Hifumi, Mishima, just because lol, and spoiler[Sae's] shadow form.

And of course,spoiler[ Akechi] will return... as will Caroline and Justine and spoiler[their fused form.]
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

There's no DLC for P5 for Royal.

then quite frankly ATLUS ARE FREAKING MORONS
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess I shouldn't hope that River City Girls doesn't use the played out graphical style of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari.

Seriously can we get a Kunio Kun game that uses another graphical style.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Time to double dip on Persona 5 and I don't even mind I love the characters so much.

I wonder since the dialogue change with Akechi the first few seconds of the trailer and we get to spend more time with him compared to the original game in some new screenshots if that means spoiler[he will live and not die (or have the option to save him if you play your choices right) cause you see someone inside the Mona bus with Haru with his exact same pants design as his Loki form.]

Also a supposed human form of Morgana and someone that looks like Wakaba with Sojiro and Futaba. So maybe this is what leads to the new events for the third semester. They are supposedly dropping new info on Royal on the 9th of May. I just hate that I have to wait until next year to play it even if a good part of the game will remain unchanged.

As for Persona 5 Scramble I will always be Haru once she is either unlocked or she is available from the start. xD
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Wanted to ask, since I've yet to play P5 (but own the game), would it still be worth playing when I plan to get Royal? I've never played a Persona game before, but decided to grab this one on a whim, and now an "expanded" version has come out. Laughing

I know, P4 became Golden, in the past. And heard there are differences in the games. So, based on that, it does seem like checking out the original is still worth the time.
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Wanted to ask, since I've yet to play P5 (but own the game), would it still be worth playing when I plan to get Royal? I've never played a Persona game before, but decided to grab this one on a whim, and now an "expanded" version has come out. Laughing

I know, P4 became Golden, in the past. And heard there are differences in the games. So, based on that, it does seem like checking out the original is still worth the time.

If you already own the vanilla version, I'd say it's worth going through it to see/appreciate the differences when Royal comes out. The main argument against is that P5 is a long game; my first playthrough came in over 120 hours, it seems pretty common for others to come in over 100, and I'd be surprised if anyone finished it in under 80 (without constantly skipping text). If your schedule and/or backlog is such that you're not likely to finish until Royal is almost out, I could see it being hard to justify jumping in to a new version of a game you just spent so much time on.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that. If I were to start on the game soon, I think I could get it done in about a month or two (depending on how busy I get/if I decide to take a break). Since Royal isn't till 2020, should have plenty of time to play it.

I've heard that it is a great game, with many loving the storyline. Think I will give it a go myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1