• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino Expresses Thoughts on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Fi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
As incredibly vague as usual, thank you, Mr. Tomino.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
He is probably sad because Leopardon didn't make it to the film.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
He is probably sad because Leopardon didn't make it to the film.

At the beginning of the movie, Miles has a drawing of a giant robot on his desk that's likely a Leopardon easter egg. And given how many fans want Leopardon in a sequel...probably going to happen.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
He's right tho...

It's Amazing that Spider-Verse exists in the form that it does.

In the gallery of typical big budget big franchise North American animation, it is really weird that it ever happened on the scale that it did.

And that's precisely why it's awesome!

However what's not awesome is Sony's decision not to release the 3-D blu-ray version in North America and the UK.

WTF Sony?
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=299919
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
He's right tho...

It's Amazing that Spider-Verse exists in the form that it does.

In the gallery of typical big budget big franchise North American animation, it is really weird that it ever happened on the scale that it did.

And that's precisely why it's awesome!

However what's not awesome is Sony's decision not to release the 3-D blu-ray version in North America and the UK.

WTF Sony?

Basically no one in America has 3D TVs, so it makes sense.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, the creator of Garzey's Wing, Victory Gundam, Turn A Gundam, Brain Powered, Gundam Reconguista G, Ideon and ZZ Gundam thinks you are one weird anime. Though probably because there wasn't a major body count to said movie was why he thought it was weird. OK, maybe not, he's gotten past that portion of his career at least.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
'I'm going to surpass Star Wars.' I'd be very happy if you were to make something that could beat it."
Is that what motivated him to make Gundam in the first place?

It's odd that he calls these modern animators flashy, when flashy Anime has been a thing for years, Yoshinori Kanada was the first of that type of Anime back in the 80s, unless someone predates him?.
jdnation wrote:

WTF Sony?
That's awful news, that means the owners of 3D TVs won't be able to watch it in 3D... All one hundred of them.
j_plex

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Congratulations, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, the creator of Garzey's Wing, Victory Gundam, Turn A Gundam, Brain Powered, Gundam Reconguista G, Ideon and ZZ Gundam thinks you are one weird anime. Though probably because there wasn't a major body count to said movie was why he thought it was weird. OK, maybe not, he's gotten past that portion of his career at least.

I am not as big a fan of Spider-Verse as everyone else is - I don't think that it is bad or even average or even good, I think that it is very good just not great, although it is better than Mirai no Mirai which isn't even close to being the best Hosada film - but good grief it absolutely had a very high body count for a western animated film aimed at kids (yes it had a PG rating but so did Ugly Dolls ... the only G rated films these days are sequels of early Pixar movies).

spoiler[ON SCREEN deaths included nearly all the villains - including the hero's uncle who was shot in the back and bled out in front of him! - that dimension's Spider Man (whose neck was broken in front of the hero) AND the bad guy's totally innocent wife and child! In other words, more deaths than many live action MCU or DC films with a PG-13 rating! And those were merely the onscreen deaths, not the ones offscreen, implied or discussed.]

So not exactly Kill em all Tomino like Victory Gundam - but then again that series had like 45 episodes to use to kill off characters starting like in episode 3 (plus come on it was an anti-war show designed to deglamorize war as much as possible so what do you expect) but for a western kids cartoon you aren't going to see a higher body count.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 pm Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

I am not as big a fan of Spider-Verse as everyone else is - I don't think that it is bad or even average or even good, I think that it is very good just not great, although it is better than Mirai no Mirai which isn't even close to being the best Hosada film - but good grief it absolutely had a very high body count for a western animated film aimed at kids (yes it had a PG rating but so did Ugly Dolls ... the only G rated films these days are sequels of early Pixar movies).

spoiler[ON SCREEN deaths included nearly all the villains - including the hero's uncle who was shot in the back and bled out in front of him! - that dimension's Spider Man (whose neck was broken in front of the hero) AND the bad guy's totally innocent wife and child! In other words, more deaths than many live action MCU or DC films with a PG-13 rating! And those were merely the onscreen deaths, not the ones offscreen, implied or discussed.]

So not exactly Kill em all Tomino like Victory Gundam - but then again that series had like 45 episodes to use to kill off characters starting like in episode 3 (plus come on it was an anti-war show designed to deglamorize war as much as possible so what do you expect) but for a western kids cartoon you aren't going to see a higher body count.

Still not as many deaths as Ideon could claim. Really I was more thinking how hilarious the man behind some pretty wild and weird anime actually calls Into the Spider-Verse weird.
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:22 am Reply with quote
Tomino wrote:
Tomino said that he spent a week thinking about why the film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. "At first glance, it looks like a live-action film, and it's very experimental in various places. For American film goers, it may be their first time watching an animated film that isn't expressly for kids. I won't appraise the film's quality, but on a technical level, I can see how much hard work the staff put into it."

It didn't used to be that way. I remember when Batman Mask of the Phantasm was in theaters, and it was great. It's a shame animation like that doesn't exist anymore in the west. But I guess with the success of the MCU they all want to focus on live-action movies and shows based on comics these days rather than make a new DCAU-like animated continuity of mature storytelling and writing.

I thought Spider-Verse looked super ugly myself, but at least it tried something different and wasn't just another Disney or Pixar animated film. So it probably deserved to win based on that alone.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 am Reply with quote
King Pickle the Wise wrote:
Tomino wrote:

Tomino said that he spent a week thinking about why the film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. "At first glance, it looks like a live-action film, and it's very experimental in various places. For American film goers, it may be their first time watching an animated film that isn't expressly for kids. I won't appraise the film's quality, but on a technical level, I can see how much hard work the staff put into it."

It didn't used to be that way. I remember when Batman Mask of the Phantasm was in theaters, and it was great. It's a shame animation like that doesn't exist anymore in the west. But I guess with the success of the MCU they all want to focus on live-action movies and shows based on comics these days rather than make a new DCAU-like animated continuity of mature storytelling and writing.

DCAU movies have continually been released for years straight-to-video:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Basically no one in America has 3D TVs, so it makes sense.

MarshalBanana wrote:
That's awful news, that means the owners of 3D TVs won't be able to watch it in 3D... All one hundred of them.

When one can easily find every Disney/Pixar film, and we even get box-office bombs like Blade Runner 2049 on 3D blu-ray (and that film in 3D is glorious), obviously there are people buying these. And considering they all come at a higher retail price, then obviously studios are making money on that niche. Heck, it's even finding new life in the VR goggles market. All of which is part of Sony's market. Maybe considering Sony's films have performed much better in international markets than the English ones, they went with that for stuff like Venom. But Spider-Verse was a hit everywhere. This makes no sense.

And I feel extremely certain that there are more hundreds of 3DTV owners in North America and the UK than abroad, unless something magical, but possible, happened in India where there are apparently hundreds more than in North America. It would be interesting to know the statistics.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
King Pickle the Wise wrote:
Tomino wrote:

It didn't used to be that way. I remember when Batman Mask of the Phantasm was in theaters, and it was great. It's a shame animation like that doesn't exist anymore in the west.

It probably does still exist, but it's harder to find. Even as far back as Pinocchio and Fantasia, animated films in America seem to have struggled at connecting with audiences if said films aren't just some kind of comedy. I don't know why this sort of prejudice exists, but it would be nice if Spider-verse heralded a genuine shift for once.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
It probably does still exist, but it's harder to find. Even as far back as Pinocchio and Fantasia, animated films in America seem to have struggled at connecting with audiences if said films aren't just some kind of comedy. I don't know why this sort of prejudice exists, but it would be nice if Spider-verse heralded a genuine shift for once.

We are seeing some efforts. The latest being Love, Death + Robots. While Spider-verse is more than your typical kids film, it's still largely a family-friendly affair. So while stylistically it's a breakthrough, in terms of content, it's nothing outside of the norm. And also being based on a big Spider-Man franchise certainly helps. And Spider-verse is still an action comedy.

A big reason why you get those is more a prejudice of the consumer market, where these films also sell toys and merchandise, and that's another big reason they get made. Which is not really something more adult fare can really pull off, outside of the Otaku market in Japan.

I'm guessing in terms of more adult animation, we're likely to see more efforts coming from the streaming networks or tie-in products with games or other film franchises. Basically things designed to get you subscribing or as part of another marketing effort.

The upcoming Blade Runner anime is one sign of that. Though there's been precedent with Batman, The Matrix etc.

Also I've noticed that here in Toronto, that there are more outlets playing anime films and other foreign market products, which could be due to changing demographics due to immigration, as the growing Asian population has no problem going to watch anime or other foreign language films. So depending on the area these things play in, you could see more.

Anyway, overtime, lots of people getting into the industry will have grown up on anime etc. and at some point they will pitch a variety of projects, and someday there will be a perfect storm where an animated film not aimed at children will be a big hit. And as soon as one or two set a precedent, the industry will react to churn out more.

Video games have already escaped the stigma of not being just kids products. And with the rise of more real time graphics and the barrier lowering for more people to tinker with animation, it's only a matter of time. Of course it's not necessary that one needs the theater to be successful with all kinds of new distribution models, but I believe the big screen experience will still be around and is irreplaceable.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
While Spider-verse is more than your typical kids film, it's still largely a family-friendly affair. So while stylistically it's a breakthrough, in terms of content, it's nothing outside of the norm. And also being based on a big Spider-Man franchise certainly helps. And Spider-verse is still an action comedy

A big reason why you get those is more a prejudice of the consumer market, where these films also sell toys and merchandise, and that's another big reason they get made. Which is not really something more adult fare can really pull off, outside of the Otaku market in Japan.

But even children shows seem to lack merchandising these days. Steven Universe's concept of fusing to create new forms was practically made to sell toys, yet all it has is some basic Funko Pops. No figures at all. She-Ra: Princesses of Power don't seem to get any merchandise either. They've actually put out more toys for the original 80s She-Ra than the current reboot over the past year.

I think companies just don't see the value in merchandise for animated shows anymore.
Marvel movies have numerous figures, as does Stranger Things. The market is there, whether its for kids or adults. The biggest hurdle seems to be applying it to animation rather than live-action. I guess animation is too uncool for kids these days. They'd rather watch Marvel movies, Star Wars, and live-action shows, and buy the toys for those. Literally the only people I see talk about these cartoons are grown adults on Twitter and Tumblr. It's like the market has completely swapped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2