• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation President States in Interview That All Materials, Computers Were Destroyed in

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like all of the archives of anime will not be available to worldwide anymore. I hate what this guy has done to the Kyoto animation studio, why did he try and attempt to destroy the KyoAni headquarters is certainly no fair? Crying or Very sad
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
So I take it that means that the master tapes of Haruhi Suzumiya, K-On, Lucky Star, Clannad, Nichijou, Free!, Sound! Euphonium, Dragon Maid, Violet Evergarden, etc are now lost forever?
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
I truly hope they recover from this huge tragedy it will take time and its gonna be painfull but as they say time can heal wounds as to which I hope will do for all that were hurt physically and emotionaly at this. because the whole anime community stands behind them and support them.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
Surprised they had no offsite backups.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:26 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
So I take it that means that the master tapes of Haruhi Suzumiya, K-On, Lucky Star, Clannad, Nichijou, Free!, Sound! Euphonium, Dragon Maid, Violet Evergarden, etc are now lost forever?
That's not what he's saying. he's saying the equipment used to make productions, which could include any new production that was in progress, were destroyed. Nothing about any archives. Besides a copy can become a master as long as it's good enough. However let us morn the dead, before we morn the possibly lost masters. Wink
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:28 am Reply with quote
What a tragedy! So many innocent, hard working lives lost.

I expected a complete loss of all the materials but it's still hard to hear it from the CEO himself. I hope they've a backup offsite but considering the Japanese work system, I highly doubt it.

I really hope that KyoAni can comeback stronger. It'd bring them some sort of normalcy and focus.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
I hope the suspect gets what's coming to him for this. He's literally ruined the lives of a bunch of people.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:36 am Reply with quote
I'm still struggling to take this in.

I've had a pretty good life by most standards. No depression, no suicidal thoughts, no serious illness and no close relatives dying from anything but old age. But even so, KyoAni's shows, which have warmth, heart and humanity, have been a much-needed pick-me-up after many a crap day at work.

How anybody can get up in the morning and think "I'll go murder the people who made K-On, Clannad and Amagi Brilliant Park" is beyond me. I'm actually surprised by how distressed I feel about this.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
Well not everything was stored in the orignal kyoto building but some of the master materials and animation equipment used in some of there older titles are definitely gone forever.

The question is which of there products were the ones effected and which products that are in current production are the ones that will be effected the most.

However at the end of the day, that is nothing compared to the lives lost, materials can be replaced but lives are lost forever, huh this is so depressing.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:43 am Reply with quote
A drawing can be redrawn.

A lost life can never return.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:43 am Reply with quote
Such a horrible tragedy happened on a great anime studio. My condolences to the victims and I hope KyoAni recovers from this.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:48 am Reply with quote
Oh no...
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
I feel really cynic about Sentai's gofundme. they seemed to jump extremely quickly into a fund raising no one (of the people actually affected) asked for. as this article mentioned kioto ani has not even stated that they intent to accept the funds. we don't know about the company's insurance coverage or weather the family members find it within their values to accept charity from complete strangers, something very sensitive in Japanese culture
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zeino wrote:
That's not what he's saying. he's saying the equipment used to make productions, which could include any new production that was in progress, were destroyed. Nothing about any archives. Besides a copy can become a master as long as it's good enough. However let us morn the dead, before we morn the possibly lost masters. Wink

Even with what Zeino asked was true, there are still used DVDs of those shows out there for people to enjoy.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I feel really cynic about Sentai's gofundme. they seemed to jump extremely quickly into a fund raising no one (of the people actually affected) asked for. as this article mentioned kioto ani has not even stated that they intent to accept the funds. we don't know about the company's insurance coverage or weather the family members find it within their values to accept charity from complete strangers, something very sensitive in Japanese culture

Probably because they didn't want for a false gofundme/etc to circulate around net - some people would believe scammers and send them money/retweet their links. At least I know for sure, that if KyoAni won't accept those money, sentai would send them back to backers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4