• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Anime's New Promo, 10th Anniversary Ad Strea

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
I hope Asuna will have a bigger role in the new season as she didn't do much during Alicization and I missed seeing her in action.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I hope Asuna will have a bigger role in the new season as she didn't do much during Alicization and I missed seeing her in action.

Do you see her on the new art? That's your answer.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Do you see her on the new art? That's your answer.

I think the rest of Kirito's friends should have bigger roles in this too, not just Asuna.

Last edited by vgiannell5 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:

I think the rest of Krito's friends should have bigger roles in this too, not just Asuna.
Especially Silica and Lisbeth who seem to have only gotten bigger roles in the movie so far.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:20 am Reply with quote
I would like to see the other cast members get moments to shine to be sure. But at the very least I look forward to Asuna presumably (from the art) getting more involved. She should be a major player in this story.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
I’ve heard great things about the latter half of this saga so I’m very excited. Some days I still can’t believe they took a gamble and killed off one of arc’s main characters so early. I’m hoping that has a long-lasting effect on the world, and Kirito as well. I do enjoy ballsy decisions like that, though.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
I’ve heard great things about the latter half of this saga so I’m very excited. Some days I still can’t believe they took a gamble and killed off one of arc’s main characters so early. I’m hoping that has a long-lasting effect on the world, and Kirito as well. I do enjoy ballsy decisions like that, though.
Killing off Alice would have been a gamble. Killing off the only other male character in the whole franchise to get more than a few token lines doesn't read to me as a risky and bold move, it reads as weeding out an extraneous, less marketable character so that we can focus on Kirito and his waifus.

But then, I'm pretty cynical about these things.
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
I would like to see the other cast members get moments to shine to be sure. But at the very least I look forward to Asuna presumably (from the art) getting more involved. She should be a major player in this story.

Maybe this is like the previous seasons. Certain story arcs focus on certain characters.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
Killing off Alice would have been a gamble. Killing off the only other male character in the whole franchise to get more than a few token lines doesn't read to me as a risky and bold move, it reads as weeding out an extraneous, less marketable character so that we can focus on Kirito and his waifus.

Yeah the moment I heard what happened to Eugeo all my hype for the show evaporated before it even began. It felt like a sign that nothing really was improving & everything was just the same as it was before. I too am rather cynical about these things.

So this new season, hmmmh. I admit I found the first half of Alice kinda dull so here’s hoping the new season spices things up.
Pedram

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:11 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:

Scion Drake wrote:

Yeah the moment I heard what happened to Eugeo all my hype for the show evaporated before it even began. It felt like a sign that nothing really was improving & everything was just the same as it was before. I too am rather cynical about these things.

So this new season, hmmmh. I admit I found the first half of Alice kinda dull so here’s hoping the new season spices things up.

But you gotta admit killing off Alice would not give much effect to Kirito tho.

On the other hand if author killed Alice but not killed Eugeo it made the story kind of pointless.

I mean the whole plot was for Eugeo to go on a journey to save his childhood friend, it works now because Eugeo and childhood Alice both died together in the end while Eugeo find a new propose for himself that he believed was correct, a reason for his existence.

Sadly anime did not showcase this, but since EP10 when he damaged someone else's life he had already lost hope and reason to live, the only thing driving him forward was only his goal of saving Alice, you can see him being pretty unstable in the anime as well later,

he thought he is a monster, he didn't knew his propose, when they went to Cardinal's room he asked to read the history books and then he search ALL of the books to find anyone like him, anyone who harmed another person's life in UnderWorld, but he found NON ! he took himself as some kind of unique criminal or monster. and he knew his family will hate him for what he became and he felt guilty of never becoming a knight after this and never giving his salary and help to his family again.

it all end up in EP23... when he see Cardinal can't attack the Sword Golem since it's "harming someone's life" everything for him click into place...

This is his reason of existence, He was to be forced into being able to damage other human's life only so he can now fight the Sword Golem and defeat it, to save all of UnderWorld's human's life from Quinella's madness.

In the end, Eugeo died content thinking he did his propose, he also reunited with his childhood friend and they both died together, Alice Zuberg's crystal broke along with Eugeo and Knight Alice will never regain her old memory.

btw, we already had 2 female death ( Sachi and Yuuki ) and most importantly :

Eugeo's death parallel Yuuki's death, both of which were close friend of the main couple, Yuuki for Asuna and Eugeo for Kirito.

Eugeo's death was also the final straw that completely broke the already traumatized and guilty Kirito, The anime might show kirito fine most of the time, but he is not in the novel and I'm sure anime can't keep on not showing it now since Alicization 2nd half is the climax of Kirito's trauma and suffering.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
For those wondering, Asuna will have a bigger role in the second half of the series but not right away; except for maybe at the beginning, you won't see much of her until deep into the first cour. However, she should be a regular player from that point on. The others (except for Yui) you may not see at all until the very end of the first cour unless the adaptation team adds in an extra scene or two, like they did early on in the first half.

So if you're wondering, "well who IS the second half going to be focusing on?" Well, Alice and beyond that. . . you'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1