• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Weekly Shonen Champion Reveals Baki, BEASTARS Creators Are Father-Daughter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Keisuke Itagaki's Baki manga first anime season debuted exclusively on Netflix in June 2018 in Japan.
Actually, Baki 2018 is the third anime season.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
Quote:
Keisuke Itagaki's Baki manga first anime season debuted exclusively on Netflix in June 2018 in Japan.
Actually, Baki 2018 is the third anime season.

Well, if we're going to be pedantic like that, it's actually the FOURTH anime season, since the first anime was also spread across two series, and the second half even had its own subtitle, Maximum Tournament.

But, seriously, what's on Netflix is indeed the first season of Baki, as the original anime was called Grappler Baki, which is what the first manga series was called. The second manga series was just Baki (or New Grappler Baki: In Search of Our Strongest Hero, if you want to be technical), which is what the new anime adapted, so ANN wasn't wrong on this one.

Anyway, I always joked to myself that the Itagaki's should be related, if only because that last name isn't exactly super common, so it's amusing to find out that they were actually related. It also make me a bit more interesting in Paru's biographical manga, because now it's confirmed that we'll be getting stories about living with Keisuke Itagaki! We better get an English release for Paruno Graffiti, at some point.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd already seen some people theorize that they were father and daughter, but I'd never seen any official confirmation until now. What's next, is Shin Itagaki related to them as well?
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It's weird that the daughter doesn't want to show her face but the father is showing his face. Mangakas are sometimes weirdos. Confused
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
That's actually really cool. Also Baki author looks like K-pop Jackie Chan
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
It's weird that the daughter doesn't want to show her face but the father is showing his face. Mangakas are sometimes weirdos. Confused

Maybe it's a request from the father? If she looks too much like him someone might have put 2 and 2 together earlier...
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe she's shy. It's her choice.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

A lot of mangaka are shy and even the majority of guys in the field never post their picture. Since Japan has strong privacy laws this is something that makes more sense than the western world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1