• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 3DCG Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
The Land of Lustrous anime was fantastic, really kept the feel and look of the manga.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The Land of Lustrous anime was fantastic, really kept the feel and look of the manga.

Seriously, season 2 when?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who feels the videos at the top of the list are kind of unnecessary? Unless there's a good reason for them, I just don't see the point.

I liked this column better when it had pictures for each entry, user polls at the end, and Saturday release dates.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
^ I don't ever watch the videos but I don't mind them as long as I can still read it. I do prefer having pictures/gifs/webms/whatever of each entry though, and having the surveys made me a lot more engaged in whatever subject the list was dealing with, for sure - right now I barely have reasons for reading it if it's not a subject I'm particularly interested in
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Gantz: 0 was really good--especially the battles against the aliens and the realization of the futuristic weaponry. Final Fantasy: Advent Children has some really cool action sequences, too.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd put Ajin: Demi Human over the advertisement, that was Kingsglaivem. Solid list otherwise.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Am I the only one who feels the videos at the top of the list are kind of unnecessary? Unless there's a good reason for them, I just don't see the point.

What constitutes a "good reason" to you, user Takkun4343 who complains about virtually everything we do?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
What constitutes a "good reason" to you, user Takkun4343 who complains about virtually everything we do?

Hey, it's a little brash to assume I complain about everything on this site - then again, it is you, and you did say "virtually" - but to tell the truth, I'm probably only complaining about the videos because they just showed up out of nowhere without in-article warning, and the fact that they're at the top of the list embedded in the article makes it seem like I have to watch it to truly appreciate the list. When it comes down to it, my ideas of "good reason" for the videos are A) the videos contain information that was left out of the written list proper, and B) they exist for those who would rather watch a video version of the list and not a written one because reading is hard for some people. In either of those cases, I'd prefer the videos being moved to the bottom to illustrate their supplemental/alternative nature, and a written indication that the videos are for those reasons located between the introduction and the written list proper.

I'm not saying you absolutely have to take my advice and/or do any of that - hell, as I'm writing this, I'm wholeheartedly expecting a volley of insults to be hurled my way - but all in all, those are my expanded two cents on the matter, as you queried.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
TravellinMatt77 wrote:
I thought that Gantz: 0 was really good--especially the battles against the aliens and the realization of the futuristic weaponry. Final Fantasy: Advent Children has some really cool action sequences, too.

I was just about to mention these two special titles that felt missing, especially when they succeeded at being standalone enough that I didn't necessarily have to check out the original source material in order to fully appreciate them! Land of the Lustrous and Blame certainly deserve their special mentions. I'm also a fan of all the Resident Evil and Appleseed movies, and while not as good as the other titles I happened to like Expelled from Paradise and thought Revisions on Netflix was actually pretty decent for what it was.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
-Sees Kingsglaive-

Man, talk about Winner by Default (so to speak). Still, 3D anime is definitely getting better, bit by bit. There have been stumbles, but it's clear animators are figuring out how to better utilize the unique advantages 3D animation has.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime artistically needs experimentation, so working 3d and 2d together is just a natural progression. Artists will develop new things and find which ones serve the art's needs. I'm not a big Precure fan, but I thought the clip of that looked really good.

I can't predict what the art will look like in 40 years, but it will be at least as different as current stuff is from the typical stuff of 1980. I will say this, the rate of change has left some like 10 year old 3d looking oddly dated, which is too bad, but I think that is just the price of experimenting. Where something like Project A-Ko was done at the height of the 1980's art, and so it is sort of timeless, even though it is obviously from the 1980s.

For my two bits, I thought the video at the top of the column was really well done, including the narration, which must have been a lot of extra work. So congrats for that. And I don't normally watch videos like that, I keep them turned off in my Firefox browser.

I Liked the animation in Appleseed Alpha, the plot not so much. The characters were... ok?

Loved Season 1 of Land of the Lustrous. The animation took some getting used to, but I like it now. An aside; as for season 2, I read a couple of volumes ahead into the manga, and now I'm not so sure that a season 2 will be nearly as much fun. It could still be very dramatically satisfying for most people. I hope it turns out ok.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

Hey, it's a little brash to assume I complain about everything on this site.

Not when it's the truth. You routinely go into threads just to complain about something, usually minor, while adding nothing to the actual conversation and topic. Often the complaints are in themselves off topic from the actual discussion. Almost anytime there's a change in something you're there complaining in some fashion as well. You also routinely phrase your complaints in a manner that is neither constructive or supportive, but rather condescending and imperious. From here on I suggest you stick to posting on the actual topic of threads, and if you have a suggestion put it in the Feedback section where it belongs.

Moving on.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

I liked this column better when it had pictures for each entry, user polls at the end, and Saturday release dates.

Seems obvious to me. Times are changing. Or more accurately they've already changed. Most people get their news and views from anime YouTubers these days and not websites. Nobody really reads websites or articles much anymore and this is basically a way to try to compete with YouTubers. You either learn to adapt or get left behind.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Okay. I apologize for screwing up this discussion by acting like an off-topic jerk who doesn't care about others' feelings, to the point where a staff member and forum moderator hate my guts now, so I'm just gonna leave this thread behind and try to act like a better person elsewhere.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
While there have been some amazing photo-realistic CG shows, I nominate BBK/BRNK as a full CG anime that turned out to have a good story after an almost train-wreak start and didn't look half-bad either. Not as impressed as others by Land of the Lustrous but it was OK. While not technically an anime, Final Fantasy:Spirits Within was way ahead of the industry both artistically and conceptually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2