• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gen Urobuchi Writes Robotic Mecha 3D CG Anime 'OBSOLETE'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote
Well, this has my attention for sure. Kinda wish it had been 2D though but I really like the overall concept
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:16 am Reply with quote
Well that's a shame, the designs of the mechs look good and "hardcore mecha" sounds awesome. But alas they've taken no care where the production is concerned.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:35 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of sad that this is going to be full CGI, but at least it will be available to everyone on Youtube for free. Smile Unless they region-block it... Anime dazed
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:02 am Reply with quote
Gen and director of PriPri? Wow, I couldn’t even think of the idea of ​​such an interesting collaboration.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
Interesting. On the one hand the mecha seem somewhat "organic" in form rather than the more standard blocky, mechanical-looking mecha designs with obvious mechanical features. Plot-wise that makes sense if they're supposed to be based on "alien tech", but personally I prefer more classical designs. On the other hand, the weapons do look a lot more traditional and realistic, with more emphasis on mechanical design and less "organic" sort of style. It reminds me a bit of Gasaraki.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 3D; it's not horrible, but I have to agree with MarshalBanana that the production values aren't the the greatest. I am interested in checking it out, but I must admit I'm disappointed it's not a standard 2D anime.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
This is what those methane wanzers from Front Mission 3 should've been. The CG is much better than already announced anime but it's from Bamco and then YT may have given them some funding, which is more than enough budget for good CG.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Well, this has my attention for sure. Kinda wish it had been 2D though but I really like the overall concept

Urobuchi's work lives and dies by his writing. Look what he did with a Karmen Rider series.
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious what the reason they come up with for the aliens only wanting lime stone.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
I'm curious what the reason they come up with for the aliens only wanting lime stone.

Limestone is a rock which is the result of biological processes. I could give you the long "WARNING: SCIENCE CONTENT" version, or you you could just look up Calcium Carbonate, or just take my word for it.

In the Greater Cosmos it only occurs on planets where life took hold for hundreds of millions of years. We have no idea how rare this is in reality, but limestone is certainly a much scarcer commodity than water, which every silly sci-fi invasion flick has the aliens coming to Earth for, when they aren't after our brains.

Besides being potentially rare, it has a lot of uses. It makes up the foundation, quite literally, for all of our civilization, and that's just for starts. It makes sense that some alien race would want it.

What is a head-scratcher for me is the deal itself: We'll take this rock which is rare for us but you have in abundance and in exchange we will give you weapons with which to kill one another more efficiently. What sick genius would think of a plotline like that? Oh...Gen Orobuchi. Right.
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
chronium wrote:

Limestone is a rock which is the result of biological processes. I could give you the long "WARNING: SCIENCE CONTENT" version, or you you could just look up Calcium Carbonate, or just take my word for it.

In the Greater Cosmos it only occurs on planets where life took hold for hundreds of millions of years. We have no idea how rare this is in reality, but limestone is certainly a much scarcer commodity than water, which every silly sci-fi invasion flick has the aliens coming to Earth for, when they aren't after our brains.

Besides being potentially rare, it has a lot of uses. It makes up the foundation, quite literally, for all of our civilization, and that's just for starts. It makes sense that some alien race would want it.

What is a head-scratcher for me is the deal itself: We'll take this rock which is rare for us but you have in abundance and in exchange we will give you weapons with which to kill one another more efficiently. What sick genius would think of a plotline like that? Oh...Gen Orobuchi. Right.

Thanks for the explanation.
tailor31415

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:

unless the aliens want all of humanity to kill each other so they can take all the limestone in the end....
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
tailor31415 wrote:
Fred Lougee wrote:

unless the aliens want all of humanity to kill each other so they can take all the limestone in the end....

That was rather the point, yes. I was phrasing that way to heap more praise upon Urobuchi-Sensei.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I won't lie that I miss when mecha was done in 2D. I'll still likely at least check this out because of Urobuchi. Is there some reason this isn't streaming on Crunchyroll instead of YouTube?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I won't lie that I miss when mecha was done in 2D. I'll still likely at least check this out because of Urobuchi. Is there some reason this isn't streaming on Crunchyroll instead of YouTube?

The article states that it's a "Youtube Original", so I take that to mean that Youtube put up at least some of the money for it and is on the production committee.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
chronium wrote:

While all that is true, it's also dead easy to synthesize if you have the kind of technology it would take to build combat mecha and cross interstellar distances, since fundamentally it's no more complex a molecule than something like baking soda or really simple alloys. So the real reason is likely to be either a handwave involving anime science or just the aliens asked for something random in return for their real objective, which was to give humans the exoframes in order to manipulate us in some scheme of theirs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2