• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release New Yu Yu Hakusho OVA With Subtitles, English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Neat. I'm glad we're finally getting this over here.

Though I imagine working with Chuck Huber was awkward for Funimation staff, given that he accused them of having a casting couch in court.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I totally called they were going to announce a license for this OVA when Funimation first announced they were going to have a big YYH panel at NYCC. I hope they can also eventually rescue license the second movie as no one rescued licensed it back when CPM went under and it would be great to have it back in print again.
HieiFan13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Neat. I'm glad we're finally getting this over here.

Though I imagine working with Chuck Huber was awkward for Funimation staff, given that he accused them of having a casting couch in court.

I met Chuck Huber at a convention in May and he let it slip that they had already dubbed the OVAs at that point. It was before all the sworn affidavit drama in the court case. If they dub the last movie at some point in the future then it might be a problem.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I’m over the moon Sabat is reprising his role as Kuwabara; always had a soft spot for his endearingly goofy performance! Very Happy
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:55 pm Reply with quote
HieiFan13 wrote:
I met Chuck Huber at a convention in May and he let it slip that they had already dubbed the OVAs at that point. It was before all the sworn affidavit drama in the court case. If they dub the last movie at some point in the future then it might be a problem.

The OVA is almost a year old and was fansubbed ages ago. Not surprising they've had it in storage waiting for the OK to release it.

Although in general firing whistleblowers is a pretty bad PR move. Laughing I wouldn't recommend it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching the series for the first time and having a massive amount of fun with it, so this is great to hear!
MeliodasWarrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
I sense a Yuyuhakusho console game coming.......
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:22 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Although in general firing whistleblowers is a pretty bad PR move. Laughing I wouldn't recommend it.

It's only whistleblowing if there's any evidence whatsoever. Otherwise, Huber is just muddying the waters to help his sexual predator friend by lying about a long-time employer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
I've been rereading the manga recently and Kurama/Hiei's first meeting is covered in, like, six panels. How'd they stretch an entire OVA outta that?
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:54 am Reply with quote
Indeed glorious to hear now just give us a proper release date so we can buy it!
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
HieiFan13 wrote:
I met Chuck Huber at a convention in May and he let it slip that they had already dubbed the OVAs at that point. It was before all the sworn affidavit drama in the court case.

Had a feeling this dub was a few months old the moment I saw him promoting it on his Twitter.

Guess that leaves Laura Bailey now since AFAIK, she has been recording her Fruits Basket lines while in LA so nobody's sure if she recorded for this at the same time.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I've been rereading the manga recently and Kurama/Hiei's first meeting is covered in, like, six panels. How'd they stretch an entire OVA outta that?

Same way they condensed 2 volumes of manga into 4 episodes of anime: completely changing stuff.

But expanding on stuff is much easier. Naruto did that in spades. Like, Tenten's Infinite Tsukuyomi dream was one panel in the manga, and the anime made it a 2 episode arc.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
All we need is a new dub of the feature film, and we’re set. There has to be some kind of licensing issue involving that film at this point.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
This is ok but the full length movie would've been so much better. I rented that movie on VHS at Blockbuster when it came out but haven't watched it since because I can't stand that CPM dub.
Demonskid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
This is such good news! >w< Wonder if Laura Baily will be coming back for Keiko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2