• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best My Hero Academia Battles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Todoroki vs Deku wasn’t season one
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Iida's (EE-DA) [...] Deku (DEH-KOO) rushes in with a powerful punch with Todoroki's (TOH-DOH-ROH-KEE) [...]

Bakugo (BAH-KOO-GO)

What the hell are you doing here

Quote:
What are your favorite moments from My Hero Academia

Not a fight. All Might bowing to Deku's mom and just saying "sorry, but I really want to mentor your son, even if it's dangerous" was the best the MHA anime has gotten yet. I also really liked the episode Rie Matsumoto directed.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

What the hell are you doing here

I think they just flat-out posted the script for the video, complete with pronunciation guide. That's...less than ideal.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Vault Boy didn't wreck 18 kids with his wang out to get ignored like this.
Nakottih

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
Vault Boy didn't wreck 18 kids with his wang out to get ignored like this.

Agreed. Cool
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I guess we're taking 'best' here as in 'because of the animation and whatnot' and not 'because of what the fight meant for me or the series', because 'best' can mean several different things. Having not seen the movie and Bakugo being a trash boy, my list would go more of the latter anyway, so:

5. Students vs League Minions in USJ (Season 1) - I always prefer fights that don't only focus on one student, in particular with MHA because the UA class is about being a team rather than the individual. This first big group fight was brief for each character, but it was their chance to show off all of the players and what they can do in an unprepared situation, and show why they deserve to be future heroes.
4. Mirio vs Students (Season 3) - the final fight of S3, the fight's outcome was incredibly obvious, but I love what it was meant to show. Mirio had what, if I had it, would very much consider a garbage Quirk. Very few would be able to turn such a complicated Quirk around and make it legendary, and that only shows Mirio's dedication to his craft.
3. Students vs League (Forest Training, Season 3) - Like pick #1, but the students are in direr straights. Not only caught off guard, injured, and tired, they also had to deal with being completely separated, being picked off one by one by serious criminals, and they had to fight off against one of their own (Tokoyami).
2. UA vs Everyone Else (License Exam, Season 3) - If my bias with UA fighting together hasn't been obvious yet... this is like picks 5 and 2, but now they have a chance to show off how they've been since they started. Everyone else may have been ganging up on them, but they showed just how little they can be understimated here and managed to succeed all together. Also, that scene with Iida and Aoyama.
1. All Might vs One For All (Season 3) - It's predictable... but it's not wrong.

My honourable mentions. Also fantastic fights, but couldn't fit in a top five.
All Might vs Nomu (Season 1)
Students vs Stain (Season 2)
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
Favorite fight.

Toga's limit break.

It puts some theories to rest by showing them being partially correct but because of the timeline, wrong as well. she can do what she is supossed to do, but she only learns to do that after the fact.

spoiler is about the theory.
spoiler[The theory being that toga has infiltrated the heroes school and that she being unable ot use copied people's powers is just a red herring, her limit breaks shows that she can copy people's powers, but only after a fight that happens after the current anime's events]
YZebura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I also really liked the episode Rie Matsumoto directed.

She didn't direct the episode, only storyboarded it. It was episode #2 of S3 iirc.

I'm surely in the minority, but AM vs AFO is at the bottom of my best MHA fights list. You can barely call it a fight, sure the emotional aspect was great and all, but the structure and presentation of the fight was super underwhelming. Considering it's two legendary quirk users clashing I expected more in that regard. All we got was a few punches and then one mega punch. Hence why All Might vs Nomu is one of my favourite fights, mainly the anime version since the staff extended it.
M. Northstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...the fire power he gained from his violent, absentee father.

You mean abusive father. Endeavor was anything but absentee, at least as far as Shoto was concerned. His other children... that's a different matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1