• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2019

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Kingdom anime coming back with a new staff.....2020 might be interesting.
wewhomustnotbenamed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
see.. this is why. shueisha last report is conflicting with shueisha own numbers. i know something is fishy. and oricon is just confirmed it.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote

I'm more inclined to believe the publisher's data. Oricon is not Shueisha.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Oricon certainly made lots of mistakes In the past when come to sales figures of CD and Blu-ray/DVD, because they are estimates based on a semi-large sampling pool of stores and online retailers, margin of errors are to be expected, and I do believe this year’s manga figure is the same case.

Anyhow, I seriously doubt mangaka of both series stress over those numbers, but I do see lots of flame war between those two fandoms in the Chinese and Japanese forums I visit. Come on guys, we have better use of our time
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
I'm more inclined to believe the publisher's data. Oricon is not Shueisha.

Depends if one has access to online or digital sales or the other doesn't.

Altough sales by series naturally favor series who put out the most volumes in that time fame. Did One Piece and Yaiba put out the same number of volumes in that timeframe or did one have an extra 1 or 2 volume boost. I find per-volumes sales more accurate of popularity
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm a fan of Demon Slayer (and not yet One Piece, since I haven't really read it), and glad it did really well. But seriously, some people really fuss over which one's on the top in numbers, when both sold great? At this point it's just a waste of your time, please don't embarass your fanbase by doing it.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Something funny about this list is that half of the series here are all confirmed to be on their final arc or nearing the end so they should be over by next year.

Kimetsu, Neverland, Attack, Haikyuu, & from what I heard Quintuplets are all on their Endgame.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Altough sales by series naturally favor series who put out the most volumes in that time fame. Did One Piece and Yaiba put out the same number of volumes in that timeframe or did one have an extra 1 or 2 volume boost. I find per-volumes sales more accurate of popularity

Both put out 4 new volumes during the fiscal year - Yaiba's big jump in sales is mainly thanks to people buying past volumes to catch up with the current chapters. One Piece still sells nearly 2x per new volume than anything else publishing right now.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Depends if one has access to online or digital sales or the other doesn't.

The interesting thing to me is that Shueisha's figures are higher for One Piece and lower for Demon Slayer.

DavetheUsher wrote:

They both put out four volumes in the past year, but Demon Slayer had a lot more people buying the earlier volumes. Same thing that happened in 2014, when Attack on Titan almost took the crown -- the anime makes new fans, who buy all the old volumes in a short timespan, then they only buy a few volumes a year like everyone else once they're caught up. OP itself had a similar boost around the time of Marineford and the Strong World movie.
Doomroar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is the first time in 12 years that One Piece has not topped Oricon's annual comic ranking chart by series. Shueisha reported earlier this week that Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba sold 10.8 million volumes, while One Piece sold 12.7 million volumes

- Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba sold 10.8 million volumes

- One Piece sold 12.7 million volumes

?? Pretty sure 12 million is more than 10 million

Anyway checking other sources:

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191124-00000026-mantan-ent

So you got it right, however since the novelty of the news, what makes these news be about something new, is that KnY surpassed OP in sales, in the end you got it wrong.

Lol this is the Well yes, but actually no meme! or... is it the fake news meme?
barran.nugraha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Doomroar wrote:
Quote:
This is the first time in 12 years that One Piece has not topped Oricon's annual comic ranking chart by series. Shueisha reported earlier this week that Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba sold 10.8 million volumes, while One Piece sold 12.7 million volumes

So you got it right, however since the novelty of the news, what makes these news be about something new, is that KnY surpassed OP in sales, in the end you got it wrong.

Not really. Shueisha announced kny is number
2, but oricon who has their own data, said that kny is number 1. There's 2 conflicting reports here.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Doomroar wrote:

It's "publisher claim conflicts with that of the most widely respected industry tracker". I don't think that's a meme.
wewhomustnotbenamed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Doomroar wrote:

It's "publisher claim conflicts with that of the most widely respected industry tracker". I don't think that's a meme.

if only it was that simple, because sheisha data it self saying KnY increase at least 15 million in circulation during the same time period, but shueisha it self ALSO saying it's only sold 10 million? that's bullshit. i don't even care about OP numbers or their position. but oricon pretty much confirm the there is something wrong with shueisha claim on KnY sales in previous article.
gadboyz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Doomroar wrote:
Quote:

Now Oricon tell us KnY sold 12M+ while OP Editor on yahoo news said KnY just sold 10M
the fact is Oricon was tracking sales number each week.
and KnY number can be divided like this

now how can OP editor said KnY just sold 10M while Oricon was tracking it each week and even have weekly number.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
gadboyz wrote:

Now Oricon tell us KnY sold 12M+ while OP Editor on yahoo news said KnY just sold 10M
the fact is Oricon was tracking sales number each week.
and KnY number can be divided like this

now how can OP editor said KnY just sold 10M while Oricon was tracking it each week and even have weekly number.

Yahoo News is a news aggregator that posts articles from other sources; the news article was originally from Mantan Web.

https://mantan-web.jp/article/20191124dog00m200033000c.html

While Mantan Web quotes the current One Piece editor Takano at the end of its article, the sales figures are from earlier in the article, in which it cites Shueisha as the source.

Keep in mind that Oricon's weekly numbers are estimates (like Shueisha's). Despite Oricon's seeming precision down to the singles digit, its numbers are extrapolations from a survey sample of many, but not all, retail outlets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2