• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tatsuya Tokutake Retires from Voice Acting on December 31

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idgal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:20 am Reply with quote
4 years in the industry and only 1 major role, he's smart to leave it
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:34 am Reply with quote
Idgal wrote:

Both Kakegurui and Idolm@ster were huge for him. Idolm@ster in particular is a HUGE time investment (though fans don't know that). And just because one doesn't show up in anime all the time doesn't mean they're failing. There's tons of media VAs are in.

I have some friends who only show up in anime once in a blue moon, but do TV appearances, narration, announcement voices for trains and big organizations... And sometimes they aren't even credited!

There are some prolific voice actors who aren't even in the ANN database because they focus on media besides anime.

Also, Tokutake was in an idol unit with his agency buddies, and they had decent popularity.

So yeah, don't judge someone's career on just anime. Especially someone who's done so much!
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:54 am Reply with quote
I guess the big question is: Who is going to replace him as Suzui on Kakegurui? I mean, with the popularity of the series, it is DEFINITELY getting a Season 3 anime, and anyone who replaces him needs to have quite the chemistry with Yumeko's VA to live up to expectations.
Kogami

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:40 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Idgal wrote:

Both Kakegurui and Idolm@ster were huge for him. Idolm@ster in particular is a HUGE time investment (though fans don't know that). And just because one doesn't show up in anime all the time doesn't mean they're failing. There's tons of media VAs are in.

I have some friends who only show up in anime once in a blue moon, but do TV appearances, narration, announcement voices for trains and big organizations... And sometimes they aren't even credited!

There are some prolific voice actors who aren't even in the ANN database because they focus on media besides anime.

Also, Tokutake was in an idol unit with his agency buddies, and they had decent popularity.

So yeah, don't judge someone's career on just anime. Especially someone who's done so much!

^ This

@ Those saying "he's not popular that's why he retired".

He actually retired because of these reasons:

"tokutatsu originally wanted to work in a job relating to radio, and through a connection, his current agency contacted him about being a voice actor. he kept working hard at voice acting despite feeling it wasn't what he always wanted to do..."

Regardless if you're popular or not, it means nothing if you don't enjoy your job. It's never too late to quit if it's what better for you. I hope he still had good memories in his past career as a seiyuu, and will finally achieve what he actually wanted.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I wish him luck in his future endeavors at life.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope whatever he does is something he loves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1