• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Inc. Updates Timelines for Kodomo no Jikan, Delico Psyche Kickstarter Campaigns

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:35 am Reply with quote
I can get why it takes so long but this is also why I don't like Kickstarting stuff. 3+ years and counting to receive the physical goods. I could be dead before I get it!
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:49 am Reply with quote
The author's name is obviously intended to be read as Psyche Delico
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:55 am Reply with quote
When I saw this email, I laughed. I backed this and WORLD END ECONOMICA but both have been inching along with little in the way of updates. Deep down, I wish I could get the game and manga physically but most of the time I doubt it will ever happen. Apparently, only AnimEgo knows/knew how to run a Kickstarter.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:57 am Reply with quote
DirtyCircle wrote:
Apparently, only AnimEgo knows/knew how to run a Kickstarter.

Probably because Animeigo has been running "kickstarters" for about 15 years longer than Kickstarter itself has existed. I think the first time they did it was for their Urusei Yatsura LD Box release in 1994.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
It’s been what, five years since I backed this? I’m getting tired of waiting.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Meh. I've already given up on getting anything whatsoever.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:02 am Reply with quote
DirtyCircle wrote:
When I saw this email, I laughed. I backed this and WORLD END ECONOMICA but both have been inching along with little in the way of updates. Deep down, I wish I could get the game and manga physically but most of the time I doubt it will ever happen. Apparently, only AnimEgo knows/knew how to run a Kickstarter.

Considering how old AnimeEigo is, I wonder who they stay afloat seeing as how it seems and AFAIK they have not licensed anything new (anime or non-anime) in a long time.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
DirtyCircle wrote:

Considering how old AnimeEigo is, I wonder who they stay afloat seeing as how it seems and AFAIK they have not licensed anything new (anime or non-anime) in a long time.

Likely this is a case of good business sense. It is quite possible to be profitable off of existing titles, especially when your library includes one or two must own titles for those just starting their collection. It seems they designed their campaigns well to budget for a model that would pay any initial costs not included in the goal reasonably quickly. After that, it is just a matter of meeting operating overhead, which he seems to have wisely kept low. At the same time, the owner likely sees the changed media landscape. How many more years will people be buying physical releases for, even the most ardent collectors? With the proliferation of major digital services in the marketplace, is it viable to move in that direction? He also is also reaching an age where he is probably looking to retire. So, I get the feeling that he is not going to do anymore campaigns and will continue to operate with the exiting titles as long as it makes money.

I suspect that the case of Digital Manga is the opposite; it is likely the person running it has poor business sense, made poor choices, over-promised, and ended up burning through the Kickstarter money with little to show for it. As a result, they were and continue to be faced with having to dip into their gross revenue streams to subsidize the overhead required to complete them. The slow progress likely indicates that either they can’t afford to or that the owner is unwilling to sacrifice his profits to deliver what was promised. Either way, it comes off as pretty shady. I don’t buy for a minute that it is a case of “too many” projects and not enough time. They had 4+ years. Not that I shed any tears for KnJ.

Last edited by dragon695 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Actually, AnimEigo's Gunsmith Cats Blu-ray release is a new license for them. It was previously put out by ADV. It is closely related to Riding Bean and the success of that Kickstarter probably influenced their picking it up.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Actually, AnimEigo's Gunsmith Cats Blu-ray release is a new license for them. It was previously put out by ADV. It is closely related to Riding Bean and the success of that Kickstarter probably influenced their picking it up.

Just looked at twitter and I stand corrected. It does seem they are still doing campaigns.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't want this series in circulation in the states but reading this also left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to Kickstarters and the ridiculous wait time its backers have to deal with.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
Funny thing is more explicit and graphic series have come out in the 15+ years this series has been the target of so much opposition and detraction. Laughing I guess at this point it's just the principle of the thing. Especially in the digital era where print is getting obsolete.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1