• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cells at Work Characters Want to Check Your Temperature

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:20 am Reply with quote
This seems EXACTLY like the kind of thing Cells at Work was made for. Nicely done.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
This is a good example of how anime can be used pedagogically (a public health campaign is a form of pedagogy). I've been thinking through three broad types of instruction that anime can be used for.

1) Direct instruction: Information is intended for direct dissemination to a wide audience, usually for the purpose of informing or altering behavior or dispositions. Not only does this cover this instance of Cells at Work raising awareness about how colds are spread and how to threat them, but also other examples when an anime or manga title is explicitly designed for modifying dispositions or behavior. Other examples include manga illustrating how to cook food, and the manga CVN 73 published by the U.S. Navy to win Japanese public support for the nuclear-powered USS George Washington being present in their territorial waters. Arguably the Manga Classics series can be labeled as manga intended for direct instruction, even through the original stories told through them were not designed for pedagogical purposes. However, some may argue that Manga Classics better fits under my next category because their intent is to encourage students to engage in what more traditionally-inclined teachers call "real reading" that is not limited to those manga works.

2) Platform for instruction: When a public school teacher wants to use anime or manga in the classroom, this is possibly the most common form their instruction takes. The anime or title was not originally designed for pedagogy, but the teacher intends to use it to promote more traditional pedagogical objectives. Examples include Christopher Meharg's Anime Science 101 blog that uses examples from anime to illustrate and elaborate on scientific concepts, a history teacher using Hetalia as a "conversation-starter" for exploring historical events, or the multitude of examples of teachers using anime and manga to introduce students to Japanese culture, history, and society more broadly. More rarely, various anime companies are explored by students in economics or business administration as case studies. In all of these cases, anime and manga are instrumentally used as a kind of platform from which students are expected to achieve the same kinds of knowledges, skills, and dispositions that students in other classes devoid of anime and manga will achieve, albeit (according to the anime and manga-using teacher) with perhaps less success. The anime and manga in themselves are seen to have little or no intrinsic pedagogical value.

3) Intrinsic instruction: This type of instruction is rooted in the view that anime and manga and the communities that are linked to them (e.g. industry, fandom, and regulatory agencies) have intrinsic pedagogical value in themselves to warrant serious study. That is, anime and manga as media possess significant and distinct histories, artistic conventions, intertextual conversations, authorial and directorial visions, and affective phenomena that cannot be easily thought of as mere adjuncts to "film studies" or "Japanese culture". In other words, anime and manga do not exist for some education board's scheme - they are their own stuff to be unpacked and studied. Moreover, here the industry is not "an example of business and economics", fandom is not "a sociological subculture", and regulatory agencies are not "arbiters of commerce and artistic expression" as they would be in the platform model. They and their relationships to one another have their own histories, rules, functions, power structures, and forms of economic, social, and cultural capital that enrich our broader understanding when thoughtfully and critically examined.

I've noticed that college and university courses on anime often straddle the second and third models, although they more frequently located in the second. This may be because there are very few departments devoted to anime and manga studies (Kyoto Seika University's School of Manga comes to mind). By disciplinary instinct, holders of degrees in Japanese language and culture, literature, sociology, economics, and the like default to assumptions (examined or not) that they can use anime and manga as a platform for doing the "real work" of their teaching. By itself, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. However, whenever I have the opportunity, I like to have educators consider the intrinsic instruction model, because manga and anime have a life-world (or as Ian Condry puts it, a "soul") that can only be explored with a different set of assumptions in mind. Moreover, doing so helps us to expand what teaching and learning could encompass and become for a changing world in which notions like "literacy", "production", and "consumption" are evolving.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I can't find the limited edition scenario Drama anywhere on the site... Can anyone help me please ?
simona.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:
I can't find the limited edition scenario Drama anywhere on the site... Can anyone help me please ?

it says you need to "access the website with your smartphone [via qr code or url] and turn sound on + enjoy the site with your headphones on."

I suppose it's an audio drama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1