• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Brice Armstrong Passes Away at 84

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:19 am Reply with quote
I liked him. He was awesome as Captain Ginyu. Liked his various characters on YYH as well. RIP Mr. Armstrong.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:03 am Reply with quote
Brice was a fine acting talent a shame he retired before the One Piece dub started he would of suited many characters throughout the dub's long decade run.
WhiteOrochi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
Brice had one of the most unique sounding voices from my early childhood days. Since I played the original Dragon Ball Z Budokai, I always thought he was a standout from the rest. Really wish he'd stuck around the voice work scene for a while longer, but I understand why he left. Captain Ginyu was my favorite role of his, though I also enjoyed his performances as Dr. Marco, Kanji Igari, Chief Katsu, and OG Dragon Ball Narrator. RIP, old man. We'll all miss you.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Wow to have THE James Earl Jones be envious of your voice is one great achievement.

What did he before he worked at Funimation, was he a voice actor for American animation or did he work in a different field?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
RIP Mr. Armstrong.

Thank you for all the memorable characters you helped bring to life (especially Captain Ginyu).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunate. A very underrated talent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

What did he before he worked at Funimation, was he a voice actor for American animation or did he work in a different field?

He started doing radio in 1964 and did commercial VO's as well as directing and producing. It says it all in the same link. Apperently he was also in Barney the Dinosaur?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
A very underrated talent.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:

RIP to Brice. To have James Earl Jones, one of the most famous voice actors alive, give a compliment like that is truly a compliment.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:16 am Reply with quote
Brice was unbelievably talented, and he had such a memorable voice that helped bring the classic Dragon Ball to life for US audiences. His Captain Ginyu was also delightfully hammy and so much fun to listen to. I also loved him as Principal Takanaka from Yu Yu Hakusho. The speech he gives in the first episode at Yusuke’s wake was so touching, and really showcased his acting chops. I wish he did more anime before he retired, but I’m glad we got some nice work from him. It looks like he had a very long and respected career in radio, which is certainly something to be very proud of. He mentioned in a behind-the-scenes featurette for DBZ: Budokai 3 that he was very happy to be having fun for a living, and I can tell he brought that positive energy to the microphone. May he Rest In Peace.
ThugsBunny3840

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 am Reply with quote
Always dug hearing the dude in the stuff I watched him in. Hope he did pretty well in his retirement years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1