• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Golden Kamuy Season One [Limited Edition]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm very pleased that there will be a season 3. Going into 2018, I was excited by how many series I liked were getting new seasons. I didn't expect that the series I probably enjoyed the most would be something new.

It is too bad about the animation, though. There must have been a pretty limited budget since it's hard to believe that things like that bear got approved otherwise.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I usually pick up on animation but I never thought of this as being a bad looking series.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:17 pm Reply with quote
It's a really well done western, even more Western like than most chanbara films.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
This review pretty much sums up my feelings about Golden Kamuy. It’s an exciting well written show that deserved a more popular anime adaptation if it only had actual good animation. A lot of the show’s problems can be explained by the fact that the studio who made it, Geno Studio, is new and has only worked on two others shows. One of which is this season’s Pet which seems like a better animated show so far. But Golden Kamuy feels like the type of work that should have gotten the Studio Wit treatment as this seems right up their alley. One aspect I especially enjoyed about the show that wasn’t mentioned in the review was how at one point it becomes a cooking show of the week anime where they go into heavy detail about Ainu cuisine which I often ended up enjoying more than the main plot itself.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:43 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show a lot more at the end of season 1 and throughout season 2. This season just looks ugly. Geno have a hard time with backgrounds and they way they colour them, they have this unnatural look to them, they did improve on this but Pet has the same problem.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm hyped for S3.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I usually pick up on animation but I never thought of this as being a bad looking series.

Really? I didn't even need to see it to feel the massive reaction to the animation quality (and I'm not even particularly plugged in, sticking to the CR free delay and avoiding discussions where I'm behind). Then CR put out an add for the show that for some reason featured the bear as its emphasis shot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1