• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SIU's Tower of God Manhwa Gets Animated Adaptation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
But not in Europe?
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:14 am Reply with quote
On one hand I'm excited that the possibly best shonen finally gets animated, but on the other hand I'm scared that they will bungle it.
The problem with Tower of God is that the design visuals are incredible important to transport the world and enhance the story and that is the part I'm worried about, because if they go with standard basic designs barely anything will get transported over.
For people that may not know it, here is some of the visuals for the very early part of the webtoon (the art improved like in most long running stories). You can already see the scale and grandiose that makes Tower of God what it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIOoiCumbRE
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:42 am Reply with quote
ugh why do a visual with one of the most hated character in history...
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:53 am Reply with quote
Manhwa? For what purpose? No thanks.
Saury

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:

While I also hate Rachel's guts, she is one of the most important characters (especially in the first season), and it is still important to introduce her.

dragon695 wrote:

wtf does this mean?
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
Saury wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:

While I also hate Rachel's guts, she is one of the most important characters (especially in the first season), and it is still important to introduce her.

dragon695 wrote:

wtf does this mean?

I agree she is important, but this does not make this visual appealing. Especially for those who knows the web comic.
Its subjective but I would have preferred to see the others ... girls Anime hyper
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
Saury wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:

dragon695 wrote:

wtf does this mean?

Manhwa series are not good generally. They look like manga, but their stories are not good.
Telu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Saury wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:

dragon695 wrote:

wtf does this mean?

Manhwa series are not good generally. They look like manga, but their stories are not good.

You just described the average manga perfectly.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:

I agree she is important, but this does not make this visual appealing. Especially for those who knows the web comic.
Its subjective but I would have preferred to see the others ... girls Anime hyper

Animes are not made for the people that already consume the source material. It's meant to attract new peope and introduce the story from zero (and eventually get them into the source material). So yeah, people who know nothing about the show or the character feel absolutely nothing when seeing her. Which might change in the future, but that's the point.

Anyway, I'm kinda excited about this, hope they don't screw it up Smile
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm always a little iffy about manhwa's because oftentimes I find that very narrow, vertical-only format really hinders the way a manhwa can be paced. For simpler stories like For the Sake of Sita, I think it works well, and some really excellent artists like the people behind Noblesse or the improperly titled Girls of the Wild's can make really smart use of the vertical scrolling format, but the latest chapters of Tower of God seem to be wildly uneven, sometimes really nailing the pacing and other times really struggling with having multiple characters on the page.

Having said all that, I'm still hopeful this gets a decent shot at a good-looking adaptation because it's always nice to see a variety of stories on-screen.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
nice!... wish they did this with the Noblesse too, back than while it was still gud.. (not counting that 2 episode experiment)

seems like the Weebtoons are inspiring atm (looking at the new Netflix anime "Cagaster of the Insect Cage" feels like it's been inspired by the Weebtoon "Hive".., just the the Netflix anime is trash sadly..., unlike Hive, which is great)
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Prejudice much? There are bad manga and bad manhwa, there are also good manga and good manhwa.

Last edited by 12Zwolf12 on Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the best sequential work around, and I hope they do it justice. In the meantime, I recommend everybody tries the webtoon.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been wondering for a long, long time when this would happen.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:46 am Reply with quote
I love the fact it presented as if it wasn't annouced last augustus. I'm really waiting for the annoucement of the studio and a first trailer. Anyway, The charac design seem to change Baam's face proportions, it's weird. The hair take too much place, and it seems his face has been lowered on his head compared to the original model. I'm really curious to see more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2