Forum - View topic
NEWS: Island of Giant Insects Anime Film Launches Kickstarter for English Dub


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4507
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be easier for Crunchyroll to pay for this dub? If I am not mistaken they co-produced this anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Ryuji-Dono



Joined: 26 Apr 2018
Posts: 167
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier for Crunchyroll to pay for this dub? If I am not mistaken they co-produced this anime.


Maybe they're not interested with this one...or something.

Either way, they better include vocal coaching and practice for the backer in case if they're not an avid VA, indie or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2577
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote
Anyway they can get the people in charge of ghost story dub to handle this? I'd pay for that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryuji-Dono



Joined: 26 Apr 2018
Posts: 167
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Anyway they can get the people in charge of ghost story dub to handle this? I'd pay for that.


That would be Sentai atm, but not sure given the director retired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peno



Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 276
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Anyway they can get the people in charge of ghost story dub to handle this? I'd pay for that.

Thank you but no. If they did that and I backed them (which I really consider to do, though I am not sure how that would work, since I am from Central Europe), I would've demanded my money back. No more Foster dubs for me. I think that man did enough damage to the dub scene already. If I will back this up, I want them to hire professionals who will keep it as close to original as possible. Dubs like Ghost Stories simply don't do it for me. Actually, I can even tell they offend me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sevokevo Royuki



Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
To actual get yourself animated into the series.. I would love to see that.. But I don't have the $2,000 for it.., (Just rounding the price up from the 200,000 Yen Price point)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ryuji-Dono



Joined: 26 Apr 2018
Posts: 167
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
To actual get yourself animated into the series.. I would love to see that.. But I don't have the $2,000 for it.., (Just rounding the price up from the 200,000 Yen Price point)


I think they meant voicing a minor character of sorts or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maximilianjenus



Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 2080
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:06 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
meiam wrote:
Anyway they can get the people in charge of ghost story dub to handle this? I'd pay for that.

Thank you but no. If they did that and I backed them (which I really consider to do, though I am not sure how that would work, since I am from Central Europe), I would've demanded my money back. No more Foster dubs for me. I think that man did enough damage to the dub scene already. If I will back this up, I want them to hire professionals who will keep it as close to original as possible. Dubs like Ghost Stories simply don't do it for me. Actually, I can even tell they offend me.

now I am curious about what do you think about "abridged" series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sevokevo Royuki



Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
To actual get yourself animated into the series.. I would love to see that.. But I don't have the $2,000 for it.., (Just rounding the price up from the 200,000 Yen Price point)


I think they meant voicing a minor character of sorts or something.


Nope.. look at Rank 6 at the 2:08 point on the video.

The Screaming one is the Rank 5 for 48,000 Yen. which Is around $450
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ryuji-Dono



Joined: 26 Apr 2018
Posts: 167
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
To actual get yourself animated into the series.. I would love to see that.. But I don't have the $2,000 for it.., (Just rounding the price up from the 200,000 Yen Price point)


I think they meant voicing a minor character of sorts or something.


Nope.. look at Rank 6 at the 2:08 point on the video.

The Screaming one is the Rank 5 for 48,000 Yen. which Is around $450


Oh, I stand corrected then.

That feels a bit...fascinating to be honest. But I wonder if these modeled characters would be just for background shots, and if they're voiced, then either by other VAs or the backers themselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sevokevo Royuki



Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
To actual get yourself animated into the series.. I would love to see that.. But I don't have the $2,000 for it.., (Just rounding the price up from the 200,000 Yen Price point)


I think they meant voicing a minor character of sorts or something.


Nope.. look at Rank 6 at the 2:08 point on the video.

The Screaming one is the Rank 5 for 48,000 Yen. which Is around $450


Oh, I stand corrected then.

That feels a bit...fascinating to be honest. But I wonder if these modeled characters would be just for background shots, and if they're voiced, then either by other VAs or the backers themselves.


Yes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DavetheUsher



Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 284
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:40 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Thank you but no. If they did that and I backed them (which I really consider to do, though I am not sure how that would work, since I am from Central Europe), I would've demanded my money back. No more Foster dubs for me. I think that man did enough damage to the dub scene already. If I will back this up, I want them to hire professionals who will keep it as close to original as possible. Dubs like Ghost Stories simply don't do it for me. Actually, I can even tell they offend me.


I doubt dubs like those would even be possible anymore. One, because the Japanese side is more hands on these days and wouldn't allow a frivolous parody dub like that to ruin their brand, and two, because most of the jokes in that dub would be deemed highly problematic by the anti-fun crowd these days. Pretty sure they made the main character's brother have Downs and mocked him for it. That ain't happening in 2020.

People gotta get out out of the mindset of "show I don't like = deserves to be mocked and humiliated".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrono1000



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Posts: 1420
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier for Crunchyroll to pay for this dub? If I am not mistaken they co-produced this anime.

Crunchyroll was on the production committee but that is true for several shows each season and only a fraction of them get dubs. I think using Kickstarter to pay for the dub is a reasonable idea and the costs for dubbing are low enough that it could work for a good number of recent sub only shows.

I do hope their Kickstarter does well though a B-rated horror anime is going to be a bit of a tough sell. I will support this if only because there are a lot of sub only shows that I would like to see get a dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3689
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
I doubt dubs like those would even be possible anymore. One, because the Japanese side is more hands on these days and wouldn't allow a frivolous parody dub like that to ruin their brand
That's a shame as this looks like a title that would benefit from a mock dub, the thing looks like an accidental comedy with the laughable 90s looking effects.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4055
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Huge set of brass for the guys who launched this.

DavetheUsher wrote:


People gotta get out out of the mindset of "show I don't like = deserves to be mocked and humiliated".


By the same token people have to get out of the mindset of "I didn't think it was bad (offensive), so how can anyone else find it bad?".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group