• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sakura Wars Game Ships in West on April 28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
So is this going to be a sub-only release?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Correct. Sub only. There are way too many voice lines for a dub of a property with so little renown in the west to be feasible. From what I've read they're giving it the Yakuza treatment in terms of localization though, so at the very least the translation of the dialogue should be top notch.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Correct. Sub only. There are way too many voice lines for a dub of a property with so little renown in the west to be feasible. From what I've read they're giving it the Yakuza treatment in terms of localization though, so at the very least the translation of the dialogue should be top notch.

That makes sense. Although it'll be kind of funny if it ends up licensed and dubbed when the game isn't...
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
From what I've read they're giving it the Yakuza treatment in terms of localization though, so at the very least the translation of the dialogue should be top notch.

In other words, Atlus USA is involved again.

Anyway, I'll be picking it up myself. I knew of this franchise for a while but I never did play 5 since I sold my PS2 long before NISA's English release and I never watched either anime adaptation so this will be new to me.

The only nitpick I have is they should have added more to the Western title because by keeping it as just "Sakura Wars", it somewhat causes confusion with the older games and may cause issues if they were to ever get ported again with new localization plans. I hope whoever gets the new anime doesn't make the same mistake given how most of those got localized in the past and some of which are still available with the TV series from Sentai & the movie from FUNimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1