• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I’m enjoying the anime so far. I love how much effort they put in to replicating the manga’s art style. The creepy-cute style is what had drawn me to reading the manga.

It’s a shame that the animation is very limited... Here’s hoping they’re saving it for the more serious fights.

Other than the limited animation, the adaptation has been excellent so far. Megumi Ogata is doing a great job as Hanako!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
This show gives me Noragami vibes in all the best ways. While it might not be as action-heavy, it’s got all the supernatural shenanigans and bittersweet undertones, and I am 100% on board with this, gimme gimme gimme!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm so loving Megumi Ogata's take on Hanako-kun. It reminds me a bit of Itona Horibe from Assassination Classroom (and the art style does as well somehow, though I don't see any major overlap in the staff). A little sexy, a little dangerously sly and full of secrets, a dash of whiny kid, which may be an affectation he assumes when it suits him or may be a remnant of the boy he once was slipping out. She's just marvelous in this.

And boy do I really love the look of the whole thing, in which even "normal" scenes feel just a bit off, and the Utena-esque stages sends it over into eerie. Not super crazy about Nene yet, but there's nothing really wrong with her except that she needs to calm down a little. Smile I like the exorcist though. He should be fun.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I really like this show's overall aesthetic and how it has a lot of vibes similar to Gegege no Kitaro, plus the scenes that are very Utena-esque. Megumi Ogata gives a really excellent performance as Hanako, and I love how mischievous she makes him sound.
kakyoins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:28 am Reply with quote
Hot Topic is an absolutely unforgivable comparison
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this episode dragged like crazy and the character relationship didn't evolve or anything, so it felt like wasted time (the gag weren't that funny either). The show might start to suffer from the formula too much over time, we know that every time something bad will happen, it'll be one of the 7 mystery, yet they can't have the character go straight to that conclusion, so it feel like every new episode/arc will have a 3-5 minute wasted establishing that it's one of the 7 mystery.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:03 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed both installments thoroughly, and the cliffhanger didn't bother me, or make me feel strung along. So I'm glad Lauren saw the light at the end. Wink

I especially loved the diary, with the gradually improving handwriting and the crossed-out/corrected "I hate Misaki Thank you, Sensei." This turned out to be a very Natsume Yuujinchou story. And it even ended with a kiss! Excuse me, charm.

Looking forward to filling in the blanks about the green-haired girl's hold over Hanako's sprites and, I presume, him.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm so conflicted over this episode. The Confession Tree stuff is great; I could watch the whole scene over and over. They did well with it. But then the second half hit.

I'm a little upset that the show appears to have cut a bit of Kou and his brother's conflict out for the sake of moving up the start of the current arc and introducing spoiler[ Tsukasa] so soon. I understand why it was done, but spoiler[he was already slid into the opening so seamlessly! I didn't even notice him until Episode 3. ]. I guess it will come down to how fast the rest of the adaption moves.

Besides that, I'm so excited for the 4PM Bookstacks. Don't let me down, Lerche.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:45 pm Reply with quote
This recent episode was jarring for multiple reasons, and the biggest one is how much source material was cut out between the last two episodes. The parts cut were good at building character and transitioning the story; which is why the structure is so weird at the end with the introduction of spoiler[Mitsuba, who becomes a recurring cast member]

Then there are two critical scenes, one with Hanako and Nene and one with spoiler[Tsukasa, the brother] that got cut that is pretty important to his character.

My guess is that they want to get to a specific part of the manga. They're gonna speed through as much material as they can which is...a bit disappointing. At least the animation is fantastic and the voice cast is even better.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This episode was excellent. You go in expecting something irrelevant and silly and instead get hit right in the gut.

It seems such a shame this is only getting 1 cour
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. I've enjoyed this show for the overall humor factor, but that it can do real drama as well makes it that much more something I look forward to each week.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
Another good solid episode. Love the after-credits scene the shows a bit more of Tsukasa's character. I'm definitely going to miss this show after the season ends.

But, with the spoiler[Hall of Mirrors and Mystery #3] coming up, where the heck are they ending this series? They're going to seemingly adapt it all in one episode, so I'm not really sure where it's going to end with two episodes left. Are they going back to readapt certain chapters?
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I doubt there will be anything satisfying about the ending, because what they covered in episodes 10 and 11 basically leads in to the manga's longest arc so far, which runs from the end of book 8 through book 11.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
So we are getting The Little Mermaid chapters. Curious how the placement is gonna change certain interactions, but I'm open. But yeah, unless something changes, the ending isn't going to be too conclusive.

Curious to see if the show will get a continuation, whether another season or a movie. You could cram the next two arcs into one season, but I think a whole movie for the spoiler[ The Painting Arc] would be amazing.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
It’s disappointing this series didn’t get a second season announcement since it has plenty of material but now I have a new manga series to read so there is that
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2