• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Fantasy VII Remake Game Gets Demo Available Now

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demonskid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
The demo was pretty fun! I can't wait for the game to be released next month.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The demo may have convinced me to skip the game and watch the cutscenes on YT in Japanese (the English voice direction is somehow worse than in KH3) as I only had fun with the size reel at the end that showed the streets. Who knows how this will be received but I would pull a brutally honest Sterling/Gerstmann if I was a professional reviewer and "mess up" the precious MC score as what I played is about as 5/10 as 5/10s get. This game wishes it was as good as the often maligned FF XV: Royal Edition or even FF XV 1.0. To think that it is all but certain that I will like KH3 more than the partial remake of my favorite game... I´ll spare you the bitching.

Random observations: Barret is HUGE, SE thankfully didn´t chug an actual Sephiroth vision in the reactor explosion scene, there were no QTEs during the jumpy bits at the end and I liked that it was pointed out that Shinra Sr. is setting up Avalanch but I ain´t sure if it is good to play that revelation so early for newcomers. The world´s look is mostly spot-on too. The gameplay though, shudder. How did the same studio release Nier 2 and DQ11 this gen?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The demo may have convinced me to skip the game and watch the cutscenes on YT in Japanese (the English voice direction is somehow worse than in KH3) as I only had fun with the size reel at the end that showed the streets. Who knows how this will be received but I would pull a brutally honest Sterling/Gerstmann if I was a professional reviewer and "mess up" the precious MC score as what I played is about as 5/10 as 5/10s get. This game wishes it was as good as the often maligned FF XV: Royal Edition or even FF XV 1.0. To think that it is all but certain that I will like KH3 more than the partial remake of my favorite game... I´ll spare you the bitching.

Random observations: Barret is HUGE, SE thankfully didn´t chug an actual Sephiroth vision in the reactor explosion scene, there were no QTEs during the jumpy bits at the end and I liked that it was pointed out that Shinra Sr. is setting up Avalanch but I ain´t sure if it is good to play that revelation so early for newcomers. The world´s look is mostly spot-on too. The gameplay though, shudder. How did the same studio release Nier 2 and DQ11 this gen?
The gameplay is literally being lauded across the board. If you didn’t like it, that’s fine. But don’t act like it’s just a total disaster because it was not.

As far as the voice acting, I thought it was extremely solid. Every character sounded just how I envisioned them in the original game. Cloud is aloof and brief. Jessie is upbeat and perky. Barret is very brutish and guttural.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Actually the feeling I got with the change to spoiler[ President Shinra still destroying the reactor after Barret's bomb ended up failing to do anything was that they're trying to avoid making Avalanche directly responsible for actually killing people this time around, which if true I am not a fan of. Part of Barret's whole character arc is coming to terms with the fact him starting Avalanche was a terrible idea and he ended up getting tons of innocent people killed and didn't change anything in the end and went about trying to save the planet in the worst way possible. He was an angry, confused man with who was lashing out and hurting the people he was insisting he was protecting. The whole point is they were literally a terrorist organization and the people of Midgar feared and hated them like the people in Tifa's bar or on the train living in fear of Avalanche.

I'm expecting a very sanitized version of the story if my suspicions are correct]

Gameplay-wise it was okay, but easy. Even on the Normal difficulty. Apparently there's a Hard mode, but it's unlocked after you beat the game which kinda stinks and I wish it was there from the start.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
The 3 inital difficulties are odd:
Classic - Easy mode with auto-guarding in menues
Easy - What's there to say?
Normal - I guess it wasn't bad

I'm not sure how I feel about the crates in-game that drop items and restore MP.
L3 let's you slide down the ladder.
It is mostly faithful to the original. Some of it is better, and some is not.
The demo was fairly decent, though Limit Breaks were not really accessible in it as far as I could tell. I'll probably mess with it a bit more before the release date of the full version.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:57 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
The 3 inital difficulties are odd:
Classic - Easy mode with auto-guarding in menues
Easy - What's there to say?
Normal - I guess it wasn't bad

I'm not sure how I feel about the crates in-game that drop items and restore MP.
L3 let's you slide down the ladder.
It is mostly faithful to the original. Some of it is better, and some is not.
The demo was fairly decent, though Limit Breaks were not really accessible in it as far as I could tell. I'll probably mess with it a bit more before the release date of the full version.

You get the Limit Break once.

I thought the classic mode thing was weird. It still doesn't make total sense to me. The crates dropping items and restoring MP is pretty standard in a lot of games now a days. I'm not sure why that would throw anyone off. To be honest I was looking for crates to smash before they even offered any up because I'm so used to doing it in games.

I've been somewhat negative about the game. I remember playing the original as a kid and loving it, and my faith with Square and FF has kind of died over the years (Tho' I loved 15, but I hated how they pretty much did 15 dirty and gave us half a story and then didn't complete the story. You could tell chunks where missing). I'm still not 100% on board with the fact that we are only getting the game in parts as I don't trust Square to not drag out the parts and charge us 60 bucks each, and then just leave the game uncompleted because it doesn't do as well as they want, or something.

However, that said, I absolutely loved the demo and it actually made me... kind of excited to get and play the game. With Cyberpunk being pushed back, I'm more willing to buy this (Kind of depends on whether or not Xenoblade Switch Port gets released around the same time as predictions are for May, I think). I enjoyed the battle system, though it took me a moment to figure out how to heal outside of battle as I thought I needed to go to the main menu.

I'm also not 100% sold on my magic and item usage being tied to the gauge. I almost died a few times on the boss when the shield was up because I couldn't do damage to fill up my gauge to use a healing item.

I'm also not 100% sold on Barret voice? I mean it does work, but I don't... I don't know why exactly I don't like it? Maybe I wanted it deeper because he such a big man and that's what I had in my head as a child, but I did love the voice acting.

I mean the demo is getting great reviews so I'm more inclined to think naysayers are just going to be naysayers, or it's just not the type of game for them.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I think judging the game based upon the demo does a huge disservice (let alone any game for that matter), however this demo does give us a decent look at the gameplay. Gameplay looks OK, going to take some getting used to (I am not a fan of the KH series, where some elements are derived from). I'm more interested in the story as that's what made me enjoy the original FF7. As someone pointed out the scene in the demo with Shinra, I'm curious how the story changes will effect the overall feel of the game.

I won't deny that nostalgia and fondness for the original has got me a bit more hyped than any other game (excluding Persona 5 Royal... going to get the US drop at the end of March).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
think that it is all but certain that I will like KH3 more than the partial remake of my favorite game

Which I find puzzling considering how half the fanbase thought the game was disappointing.

residentgrigo wrote:

......One is a hack in slash in the same vein as Bayonetta and DMC and the other is a game that had 3 different versions one of which was never released outside of Japan and the third being considered the definitive version of the same game that was already released for PS4 & PC. None of the games are exactly the same of course.

I've not played the demo but I doubt it's even close to be a issue like you're suggesting it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1