• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon U.S. Prioritizes Household, Medical Supplies Over Other Items Until April 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 am Reply with quote
An order I made for my wife must have gotten processed just under the wire. Tracking shows it in-route and expected sometime today.
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
..... But....my animu... Anime cry All seriousness it's good that they're making this call, it's nuts that it's finally hitting them, but I'm concerned that about the worker in the factories, both that they're working in these conditions and the potential that someone sick working in distribution, and that's coming from someone in a similar field.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
While its great now, and a lot of jobs for people who have been laid off cause of the virus, I never understood buying household goods via the mail. Is it actually cheaper than Sams, Costco, Aldis, and other discount stores? Or is it all convenience.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
This is exceptionally impactful. Amazon is the number one retailer for anime and manga & the largest single customer for most anime/manga publishers in North Amercica.

The publishers have no way to know how long this temporary halt in buying will last; physical media release dates will get pushed back.

Here's a quote from the e-mail that was sent to publishers:
Quote:
Reduced Purchase Orders: We have temporarily paused ordering for products that are not household staples, medical supplies, or other high demand products.

As reported elsewhere, Amazon also suspended "fufilled by Amazon" this week (except for companies using FBA to ship "household staples, medical supplies, or other high demand products.")
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
While its great now, and a lot of jobs for people who have been laid off cause of the virus, I never understood buying household goods via the mail. Is it actually cheaper than Sams, Costco, Aldis, and other discount stores? Or is it all convenience.
It also means not having to go to a crowded store to get the items in question, possibly taking public transit to get there. Home delivery is the responsible shopping method right now.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Can I assume digital goods aren't affected? (books, light novels etc)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 pm Reply with quote
When I first read the article I thought it had meant that Amazon would prioritize delivery of home goods and medical stuff over everything else. I didn't know that that also would mean they wouldn't get new stuff (non home goods and medical). Though understandable in these times.

I would think this would be a boon for The Right Stuf, and other independent anime suppliers, along with digital suppliers.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be trusting anything in the mail right now either way. Wipe down everything you get with sanitizing wipes.

Luckily most of the figures I had pre-ordered I had for this month were delayed until next month or May, but one of them did end up shipping. It's geting a Lysol bath when it gets here.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
I wouldn't be trusting anything in the mail right now either way. Wipe down everything you get with sanitizing wipes.

Luckily most of the figures I had pre-ordered I had for this month were delayed until next month or May, but one of them did end up shipping. It's geting a Lysol bath when it gets here.

If you are using regular mail (virus won't survive no more than 3 days on cardboard) I wouldn't worry too much. If you used express, then yes, by all means, use Lysol and any other disinfection.

I'm putting off most orders until June. (Weathering With You Import Blu-ray ships out May 27).
Hoping for improvements by then,
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:
If you are using regular mail (virus won't survive no more than 3 days on cardboard) I wouldn't worry too much. If you used express, then yes, by all means, use Lysol and any other disinfection.

A human still has to carry it to your door, presumably. Though the same strategy applies, if it isn't something you need right away, just don't open it for a few days, maybe wash your hands after touching the box if you're worried about that. No need to waste a bunch of cleaning products on it (and many things could be damaged by cleaning chemicals).
gilnokoibito

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if computer equipment counts? My job just decided that starting next week we're going to be working from home and we have to have an Ethernet connection. My room is upstairs so I need about 100-200 ft cable. Amazon's the only one with affordable ones that can ship quickly.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Can I assume digital goods aren't affected? (books, light novels etc)

Why would they be? You receive them as soon as you buy them.
DeceptiTom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say

I literally got an email from Amazon today saying my copy of FF7R will have release date delivery

Soo.......
Zero3K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:52 pm Reply with quote
gilnokoibito wrote:
I wonder if computer equipment counts? My job just decided that starting next week we're going to be working from home and we have to have an Ethernet connection. My room is upstairs so I need about 100-200 ft cable. Amazon's the only one with affordable ones that can ship quickly.

You should consider buying a Powerline Network Adapter Kit. I recommend using the LANPlug 2000 one available from Extollo Communications.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1