• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Spring 2020

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
No big surprise, except maybe that plunderer will keep it's review, I don't feel like it's very popular (can't speak of quality, haven't watched it, just going by general buzz and comment).

I do find it funny that the 8th sons is in the thumbnail picture but isn't actually getting reviewed. I guess isekai fever is finally dying out, I wonder what will be next? What's the big thing at the moment in the LN industry?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I guess isekai fever is finally dying out, I wonder what will be next? What's the big thing at the moment in the LN industry?

Much as I wish that were the case, keep in mind there are 2 isekai series still being covered - My Next Life as a Villainess and Ascendance of a Bookworm S2. 8th son just had too much competition to squeak in with them I guess.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the threshold for isekai episode reviews seems to be two. If there's more than that in a season then the less highly-regarded ones often don't make the cut.

That's definitely what happened with 8th Son. It's not bad - in fact, I rather liked the second episode - but of the three this season, it's by far the most generic-looking. I'll probably be following it and so will review it at season's end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
As a long time Digimon fan, I'm really glad to see ANN will be covering the reboot as I really want to see the reboot succeed and get as much attention as it can.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Am I shocked that IDOLiSH7 Second Beat didn't make it? No. Am I disappointed? Yes. Most of what I'm watching was picked up for daily streaming reviews, but I can't help feeling that the results are getting predictable. I get that popular series with large fanbases are more likely to be chosen, but some lesser known or original series squeeze in (Listeners, Appare-Ranman!, and Woodpecker's Detective Office). I kinda wish there was some sort of poll to gauge interest for reviews of shows not chosen for daily reviews. I'm glad Woodpecker made it in, I thought it would get shafted due to its late premier. Looking forward to reading that.

Side note: why did shows like Bookworm and Food Wars not automatically go for daily reviews like Fruits Basket? AFAIK, those shows are popular (maybe not as popular as FB), but I would just like to know for curiosity's sake.

Side note #2: If the 4 big shows that were moved to summer had premiered this spring (Re:Zero, SNAFU, SAO, No Guns Life S2), which of the current shows would not have made the cut?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Idolish 7 will be getting delayed after the 4th ep, so there wouldn't have been any point in covering it
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Damn both my votes didn't get in. RIP The-Only-Good-Gundams, people don't appreciate you. And unfortunately, now I'll have to piece together myself the live-action dorama in Gal and Dino.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Idolish 7 will be getting delayed after the 4th ep, so there wouldn't have been any point in covering it

To be fair, all of these shows have the potential to be delayed further down the line, with the exception of Villainess which wrapped up production late Feb/early March.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
No Gal & Dino? DENIED!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Wasn’t expecting Woodpecker Detective’s Office to get a weekly review. Looking forward to reading them! Rebecca’s reviews are fun to read
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I voted for more shows to get covered this season than probably any season prior. Not even counting returning favorites like Fruits Basket, there were just a ton of new premieres that caught my interest right away.
shterraarson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
No Gal & Dino? DENIED!

I would legit review it for free.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
meiam wrote:
I guess isekai fever is finally dying out, I wonder what will be next? What's the big thing at the moment in the LN industry?

Much as I wish that were the case, keep in mind there are 2 isekai series still being covered - My Next Life as a Villainess and Ascendance of a Bookworm S2. 8th son just had too much competition to squeak in with them I guess.

Yeah, it is not dying out. Looking at the manga scene, it is still going strong, maybe even more so. There is still many more popular manga being produced along with all the new stuff coming out.

Hoping Lazy Dungeon Master, Skeleton Knight, Ideal Sponger Life, Vending Machine, and Reincarnated as a Sword get anime. There's plenty more too that I haven't mentioned either. Sure there is a lot of garbage out there, but still plenty of the good stuff.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Good to see "Wave,Listen to Me", "Arte" and "Sing Yesterday for Me" will get reviews.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Tamayomi and kingdom season 3 didn't make it in sadly

Side not did ANN not even give us the option to vote for Kingdom? I dont thi k I even saw an option for it in hindsight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4