• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Roommate is a Cat BD + Digital

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I think for those that have emotional support animals, this anime really helps. I have an emotional support dog, as I suffer with depression badly. Seeing all that Subaru goes through, I think Haru actually helped dig him out of his hole as they helped each other, both needed the support.

I actually enjoyed this anime. It was nice to see how a new pet owner really gets and how Haru actually brought many together.
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She calls them her siblings, but given how much bigger she is than them in the flashbacks, there's a much greater chance that she had a litter of kittens at six months or so and didn't quite grasp what happened.

Can't believe I didn't make this connection at the time. Makes the events of episode 6 even more tragic.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Brett-Butler wrote:
Quote:
She calls them her siblings, but given how much bigger she is than them in the flashbacks, there's a much greater chance that she had a litter of kittens at six months or so and didn't quite grasp what happened.

Can't believe I didn't make this connection at the time. Makes the events of episode 6 even more tragic.

Oh man that makes the situation even darker. It was always a sad backstory, but I did wonder why Haru seemed bigger than her siblings. It makes sense if those weren’t her siblings, but her litter.
Lenks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Brett-Butler wrote:
Quote:

I don't necessarily buy into it. My sister and I each have a cat from the same parents but separate litters. There's only six or seven months between the two. Haru could definitely be in the same boat.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:

I don't necessarily buy into it. My sister and I each have a cat from the same parents but separate litters. There's only six or seven months between the two. Haru could definitely be in the same boat.

Honestly, either is a real possibility. I went with the "her kittens" theory because it seemed in line with what the story was going for - both are terrible, but one adds another layer of symbolism between Subaru (lost his parents) and Haru (lost her kittens), as well as working with Haru's vaguely parental attitude towards Subaru.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
Kittens of the same litter can have different fathers. Also, siblings may refer to a previous litter.
If Haru was from a previous litter - the kittens from the current litter would be siblings.
Quote:
I went with the "her kittens" theory because it seemed in line with what the story was going for - both are terrible, but one adds another layer of symbolism between Subaru (lost his parents) and Haru (lost her kittens), as well as working with Haru's vaguely parental attitude towards Subaru.

Couldn't it just be that Haru lost her mother and had to take care of her siblings in the same way that Haru feels the need to take care of Subaru who had lost his parents.

Last edited by joeydoa on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
zatheus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:44 am Reply with quote
Food plays a big roll in early development, if Haru was able to find more food then the others in the first few months, it could explain why she would be bigger.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:49 am Reply with quote
This was definitely a charming feel-good series, and that last episode really hit me hard in the best way possible I never expected.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
we get to see her come to trust that things will get better, even if she never quite believes that there will always be enough food. That's pretty typical of a formerly starving feral cat,

Our cat, Charlie, was, according to the paperwork that came with him, captured in a farm field at age four months. When we first got him, he would eat everything given to him until it was gone. However, after a few weeks, he realized that there would always be food available and turned into a picky eater. Wink Now he is very discriminating and has turned into a rather large individual. He now will not eat wet fish based food.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:03 am Reply with quote
zatheus wrote:
Food plays a big roll in early development, if Haru was able to find more food then the others in the first few months, it could explain why she would be bigger.

Very true - I pulled my Carmine out of a flowerpot in San Juan when he was about 5-6 weeks old and his lack of proper nutrition stunted his growth to the point where he looks like he's part Munchkin. (Which he still might be, but several vets think the malnutrition is more likely.) Poor guy can't jump onto things at all.

He's three now, and like Alan45's Charlie has calmed his eating down, although he's hardly picky. Smile Two of my other cats who were also strays, however, get positively hysterical about food to the point where we have to leave a tiny amount in their bowls at all times.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
While this might be mostly a cat show, it does have one adorable dog character in the side roster as well that you'll see from time to time, so dog people need not be shy either.

We had both in our family, so I was of course doubly blessed when watching this. You know... despite the tragic circumstances for Subaru -- and, well, Haru when it comes to one of her sibling -- it really is a heartwarmer more than a tearjerker.

And just to nitpick, I'm pretty sure both Haru and her siblings would know if she was their mother rather than her big sister (from an earlier litter, presumably.)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was a great show that had a good balance of being cute adorable fluff but also having some emotional substance to it. This is one more fans need to watch.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
While this might be mostly a cat show, it does have one adorable dog character in the side roster as well that you'll see from time to time, so dog people need not be shy either.

I loved the neighbour's dog.

I am a dog person, so I wasn't too sure how I'd find this show. Looked cute, so I thought that the MC having a cat wouldn't be a big deal. And it wasn't.

Really loved how they made a family, and just shows how big of a part pets can play in a person's life.

Loved this show, will be adding this series to my physical disc collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1