• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Crunchyroll Talks What Makes an 'Original'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhechav

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised, but I still have no idea how CR is involved and what is considered an "original" or a "co-production." She gave incredibly vague, opaque answers.
Telu

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Jhechav wrote:
I'm not surprised, but I still have no idea how CR is involved and what is considered an "original" or a "co-production." She gave incredibly vague, opaque answers.

Maybe a co-production is when crunchyroll sees a potential series but the studio does not want to risk it and crunchyroll contributes 50% or 60% of the money.

And an original series is when crunchyroll offers an agreement between the animation studio and the company that has the rights to a series + an investment of money.

idk.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if they could use a different source for these originals, made with JP studios, than Webtoons.Webtoons either look really ordinary, like the artist learned from one of those 'How to draw manga' books or downright ugly. How about adapting a none graphic novel work into an Anime, like they've done before with classic literacy.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Jhechav wrote:

That was... pure, weapons grade corporate bullstuff.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the difference between a co-pro and a Crunchyroll Original might be in streaming flexibility where it seems like they might be more willing to let other sites stream a co-pro while an Original is exclusive to their site. Like Shield Hero is a co-pro but Funimation has been streaming it but I doubt we’ll see Tower of God outside of Crunchyroll. But it’s all mostly a marketing buzzword to cash in on Netflix Originals. What I want to know is if Crunchyroll Originals will get home video releases or if they’re going to take the same approach Netflix does and no physical releases for the Original branded shows.
Vic1989

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It would be nice if they could use a different source for these originals, made with JP studios, than Webtoons.Webtoons either look really ordinary, like the artist learned from one of those 'How to draw manga' books or downright ugly. How about adapting a none graphic novel work into an Anime, like they've done before with classic literacy.

At least webtoons offer better stuff than japanese manga right now.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Webtoons lets CR buy properties in bulk. Granted, for every two gems there’s 10 or so charred pieces of coal, but it’s a good value proposition.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Co-pro to me means they're just another member of the production committee. An original would mean that they're the sole (or majority) financier of the production. Just like Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network would do with their originals.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I love that this thread is filled with reasonable explanations behind what is actually just marketing gobbledygook. As someone who loves language, I respect the urge to make it make sense, but let's not pretend there's anything underneath that.
skooby00

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
i dont think its just corporate BS, I think the difference between a co-production and an original is at what stage Crunchyroll became a producer. I assume for an original, they were there at the earliest stages. It might also just be a contractual/marketing thing as I imagine it looks good for them to have supposed "originals" but in some cases (The Rising of the Shield Hero) they are unable to attain/purchase the right to call it an original? or maybe im just dumb
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, Crunchyroll is losing some animes, mostly Aniplex shows to Funimation. None of Aniplex shows streaming on CR this spring, including Kaguya-Sama season two, which CR lost to Funi.(Even CR lost Teasing Master Takagi-San season two to Netflix last year.)

Although I'm not a hater, I feel like CR is going downhill slowly.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Meanwhile, Crunchyroll is losing some animes, mostly Aniplex shows to Funimation. None of Aniplex shows streaming on CR this spring, including Kaguya-Sama season two, which CR lost to Funi.(Even CR lost Teasing Master Takagi-San season two to Netflix last year.)

There's literally nothing Crunchyroll could have done about any of those examples. Aniplex owns the rights and they have the power to select where to place them. And Netflix outbids just about anyone so there's not much that could be done about that either.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:05 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

There's literally nothing Crunchyroll could have done about any of those examples. Aniplex owns the rights and they have the power to select where to place them. And Netflix outbids just about anyone so there's not much that could be done about that either.

Aniplex and Funimation are under the same parent company now too. That's why Funimation is going to dub some Aniplex shows (like Kaguya-sama, including S1) and why they are involved with the standard edition of Demon Slayer S1 that will come out after the special edition.

I think the shift is more a result of Funimation having much more resources behind it now compared to before the Sony buyout, so they and Crunchyroll are more level when it comes to negotiating. I think it's wrong to say CR is declining at this point. That depends on if this recent shift in number of seasonal shows levels out or not. CR are certainly boasting more direct involvement in committees at this point, anyway.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:11 am Reply with quote
And there are still heated debates among elitists of both groups. Can't we just agree that each have their own pros and cons instead of deeming one as superior?

And don't even dare to make like a reply of 10 sentences telling why Manga/Webtoon is better than the other, because that will only prove my point.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:21 am Reply with quote
A lot of PR BS, incorrect/missleading notions of words and terms for marketing purpose and no substance at all.

Way to go Crunchyroll Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2