• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HBO Max to Launch With 17 Anime From Crunchyroll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZestyLime

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Only a matter of time before we get the HBO exclusive seasonal anime, further fragmenting the market.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
That’s a surprise. I figured it was mostly going to be their co-productions.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:15 pm Reply with quote
ZestyLime wrote:
Only a matter of time before we get the HBO exclusive seasonal anime, further fragmenting the market.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing. I would love to see anime with the budget of HBO. We could get some cool stuff.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
ZestyLime wrote:

I doubt it - HBO is owned by WarnerMedia, just like Crunchyroll. There's no point in having 2 of your subsidiaries bidding against each other and raising prices on licensing or coproduction. Easier to make CR the WarnerMedia source for anime content, and cross-feed a select set of that to other WarnerMedia services.

With that said, this seems like an odd collection, and I can't help but feeling some titles are on this initial list only due to quirks of licensing. It's pretty clear why titles like Re:Zero and FMA Brotherhood and Kill la Kill will get pushed to broader audiences, but Rokka? Schwarzes Marken?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
#901749 wrote:
ZestyLime wrote:

You make it sound like that's a bad thing. I would love to see anime with the budget of HBO. We could get some cool stuff.

That's literally not how any of this works. And it IS a bad thing. It's "monopolistic competition". There's "Competition" but they each monopolize specific shows. So if you want to watch everything you have to pay over $700 in subscription fees. That's a TERRIBLE thing for everyone except the corporations. Really no benefit to us. They have no incentive to actually improve quality in any way. As long as they have one show that the masses will subscribe for, that's all they need. One show every season. Budget also wouldn't make anime better. I'd not even have faith the extra money goes to the artists like it should.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
ZestyLime wrote:
With that said, this seems like an odd collection, and I can't help but feeling some titles are on this initial list only due to quirks of licensing. It's pretty clear why titles like Re:Zero and FMA Brotherhood and Kill la Kill will get pushed to broader audiences, but Rokka? Schwarzes Marken?

I thought it was a pretty interesting set of choices myself. I don't see shows like Eizouken, In/Spectre, or ERASED as especially mainstream. And I'm surprised at how rarely I see any mention of Kill la Kill at MAL. It's like it has no traction among newer anime viewers.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
#901749 wrote:
ZestyLime wrote:

That's literally not how any of this works. And it IS a bad thing. It's "monopolistic competition". There's "Competition" but they each monopolize specific shows. So if you want to watch everything you have to pay over $700 in subscription fees. That's a TERRIBLE thing for everyone except the corporations. Really no benefit to us. They have no incentive to actually improve quality in any way. As long as they have one show that the masses will subscribe for, that's all they need. One show every season. Budget also wouldn't make anime better. I'd not even have faith the extra money goes to the artists like it should.

How about we wait for such things instead of making such pessimistic assumptions? And like what azabaro said, Crunchyroll would still provide the anime, just to another service. Not wanting to see one for HBO? Try Crunchyroll instead.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I also think that is a fine anime selection. The glaring omissions are the big Sentai hits (like Chuunibyou and Danmachi), but I am not sure if they can actually be added to HBO Max in the future.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Huh, wasn't expecting that. Though it make sense since they're owned by the same parent company as others pointed out.

Always good to see anime in more places to reach more people =)
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
#901749 wrote:
ZestyLime wrote:

Yeah, and I hope that when that HBO budget pays japanese creators for making some anime series and movies done entirely in CGI, anime fans don´t use the demeaning and deprecating comment that "HBO is doing the same thing as Netflix, doing cheap CG anime because they don´t have money" like always happens with CG anime productions. By the way, Shinji Aramaki, Kenji Kamiyama and Shinichiro Watanabe will work on the Blade Runner anime, which is produced by a CG anime company, and they´re doing it like that because they like CG anime and they like the idea of testing it out, not because they hate 2D animation and lack good budget and want to cheapen out anime like you anime fans claim.

Kougeru wrote:
#901749 wrote:
ZestyLime wrote:

I understand this claim, and there are people that understand this claim too. I mean, paying too much money for streaming services is not that benefitial for customers. But paying the same $700 bucks for 60 episodes of anime on DVD and Blu-Ray isn´t it worse? Specially since in those cases the money still doesn´t go directly to the creators and producers of the anime you paid those DVDs for, but instead most of the money is going to the DVD licensing company?

This is why anime fans are their own worst enemies and they want to ruin the fun for others. Because they think that they have to dictate how anime has to be consumed instead of the japanese creators. Buying any DVDs or merchandise based on an anime series will never pay the japanese creators directly, as the first companies that will get the pay are the licensors of the DVDs and merchandise, and then the other money will go to the creators. Same with streaming. I´ve accepted this reality already, but most anime fans want to deny it in favor of living the myth that I mentioned earlier, and when the anime industry is reporting growth in recent years thanks to streaming anime online, it means that japanese creators are receiving money and/or support in some way thanks to streaming. Consume anime in whichever legal way you want, but never think that the 60% of money will always go directly to the creators of the show.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
It looks like there's some Aniplex stuff on there. Nice! I know a lot of people really don't like how expensive their DVD sets are, so it's nice that more streaming sites are offering their shows legally. A relatively good selection for HBO Max, and here's hoping for more to come.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I don’t really see HBO getting into licensing titles themselves since Crunchyroll already has put a lot of investment into their own Crunchyroll Originals for the next several years. Corporations like HBO seem more interested in focusing on their own properties than investing in anime shows they wouldn’t have any creative control over. I’m just wondering how this is going to effect VRV which I think is the bigger concern here.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:

Highly plausible, considering that Rokka and Schwarzesmarken (along with Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches) were part of Crunchyroll's experiment with dubbing in various European languages (DE/FR/ES/PR) a few years back. Perhaps those titles have extremely permissive licensing terms.

Reeeeeallly looking forward to explaining the relevant Muv-Luv lore to baffled HBO viewers who happen across Schwarzesmarken. That will surely end well.

(EDIT: corrected localization abbreviation for German from "GR" to "DE".)

Last edited by invalidname on Thu May 07, 2020 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
#901749 wrote:
ZestyLime wrote:

That's literally not how any of this works. And it IS a bad thing. It's "monopolistic competition". There's "Competition" but they each monopolize specific shows. So if you want to watch everything you have to pay over $700 in subscription fees.

Who says you have to watch _everything_?

With so many shows each season, you have to make a choice sooner or later. You can't have your cake and eat it too. That's not how it works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
idkAlan

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
#901749 wrote:
ZestyLime wrote:

That's literally not how any of this works. And it IS a bad thing. It's "monopolistic competition". There's "Competition" but they each monopolize specific shows. So if you want to watch everything you have to pay over $700 in subscription fees.

Who says you have to watch _everything_?

With so many shows each season, you have to make a choice sooner or later. You can't have your cake and eat it too. That's not how it works.

That's the thing that people who complain about all these streaming services refuse to acknowledge.
That they don't have to subscribe to EVERY one.
They try to compare it with cable and satellite even though streaming services are a helll of lot more budget friendly and do NOT require contracts with minimum subscription time.

Then they claim that they can't keep track of all these services even though it boils down to them not willing to actually budget their money.

I've cancelled and re subscribe to Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, Funimation, simply because at the time I cancel, they don't have the content I want. Then I subscribe again once they do.
It is extremely easy but people seem to act like budgeting where your money goes is like the hardest thing ever
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2