• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ATASHIn'CHI Anime Streams on YouTube With English Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
That’s great news!!!! I’ve always wanted to watch the 2002 anime
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:15 am Reply with quote
This is very unexpected news. Like, who would’ve thought that the 2002 series would suddenly be legally available with English subs outside of Japan?

Shinei and Alphaboat must’ve been inspired by Nippon Animation’s recent push for Chibi Maruko-chan episodes in various languages on YouTube.

Last edited by OjaruFan2 on Fri May 15, 2020 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
toprak

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:39 pm Reply with quote
That's really great but youtube.. ehm..
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
For whatever reason, it seems like the Japanese side has wanted to make Atashin'Chi into A Thing in English-speaking areas for some time now. Back in 2006, Funimation sent out cease&desist letters for several shows, with Atashin'Chi among them. It was rather baffling at the time, as only 11 episodes were ever fansubbed, with no English-subbed releases coming out after 2004, and the Western fandom generally hasn't cared about these kinds of long-running mainstream/family-targeted series.

The belief was that it was the Funi's Japanese licensing partners asking them to go after infringement of Atashin'Chi, rather than Funi having a particular interest in the title. Funimation would eventually go on to license everything else from that batch of C&Ds, aside from Sakura Wars New Paris.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The belief was that it was the Funi's Japanese licensing partners asking them to go after infringement of Atashin'Chi, rather than Funi having a particular interest in the title.

That makes a lot of sense. Even a few years after the C&D letter spree, FUNimation probably weren't all that interested in licensing any slow, episodic, slice-of-life kids and family anime after the ok performance of Shin-chan in North America.
melmouth

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
I searched on YouTube for ATASHIn'CHI and got only fragments of it, posted by a Malay person, etc. Couldn't find the official posting. (I'm located in the USA).
Zen119

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:
I searched on YouTube for ATASHIn'CHI and got only fragments of it, posted by a Malay person, etc. Couldn't find the official posting. (I'm located in the USA).

Pretty sure the article provided links to it or you could click on the Youtube videos provided.
toprak

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:

here you go Cool
melmouth

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
It never occurred to me to search on the JAPANESE portion of YouTube.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1