• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix, Pokémon Company, Niantic Donate to Support Black Lives Matter Movement

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhechav

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
So happy that the companies like Niantic are taking real, substantial actions to support the movement rather than a simple Instagram post. Hopefully more companies will follow suit!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:01 am Reply with quote
Nice to see most of this. PC Gamer is a hilarious one to see when their comment sections are some of the most racist and bigoted I've ever seen on the internet. Reporting does nothing because some of the comments are from "mods".
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:43 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Nice to see most of this. PC Gamer is a hilarious one to see when their comment sections are some of the most racist and bigoted I've ever seen on the internet. Reporting does nothing because some of the comments are from "mods".
I think that probably has to do with chaos over the last few days, so the backlash is to b expected.

Good gesture by the companies, I didn't expect them to donate.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:17 am Reply with quote
Supposedly Nintendo is also double-matching their employees' donations to various causes, but aren't publicizing it because they don't want it to be seen as cynically using a tragedy for PR
ChrisKris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:54 am Reply with quote
Now I want all those BIG company's to do something to for Hong Kong Protest!
Otherwise it's just hypocritical.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
paulchaested

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:30 am Reply with quote
ChrisKris wrote:

They’re not going to because they’re scared of pissing off the CCP and losing that multi billion dollar Chinese market. Although these companies are actually donating rather than making generic blanket statements the cynicism in me still thinks these companies are doing this mainly for marketing.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:35 am Reply with quote
ChrisKris wrote:

Hate to break it to you but these companies don't actually care. $250,000 is chump change to these companies, and they see it as an investment for good PR so good little consumers will buy their product as a show of "solidarity". They spend more on advertising per year, and probably just view these contributions as part of that budget

Of course they're not going to show support the Hong Kong because it would hurt them in the Chinese market. Video game companies especially value the Chinese market a lot and they pander to them all the time; like SquareEnix giving China exclusive content in Final Fantasy 14.

It's the same reason why it's all the American branches of these companies voicing support, while the Japanese side has been completely silent on the issue and hasn't mention it at all. There's no value for them to mention this in Japan. So I don't view it has hypocritical myself, because they don't really care about either one to begin with.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
Didn't expect that but good!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Although these companies are actually donating rather than making generic blanket statements the cynicism in me still thinks these companies are doing this mainly for marketing.
Honestly, I think as though most people are "trained" to think this way. Using "trained" as I can't quite think of another word to fit. "Conditioned", maybe?

But basically, yeah, we look at these big companies as being rich elites, not really caring about the little guy that helped to make them into what they are or anything that isn't their pocketbooks, family, and lifestyles. Although I'm sure the big leaders of these companies actually do care about the causes and that is reason #1 why they're donating and making the statements they are, we perceive it as a "oh, it's just a marketing ploy" because our minds think that that all they actually care about is the money and PR that comes with such a move. Because, more often than not, that's what really gets publicized and put out in the mainstream, so our brains are basically led to believe that's all that matters to them. And it's hard to listen to individual leaders because all you see is them representing the company they own/work for, so it drowns out what good they're trying to do.

... And I say this, also agreeing with your cynical part, as that's what I also slightly feel. Even if I rationalize it, doesn't make that part go away, unfortunately. XP
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1