• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Memories

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the consensus that Magnetic Rose is the best of the three shorts, and is likely the only reason why the film is so beloved by the few of us who know of it. For me though, I really love Cannon Fodder, both aesthetically and in terms of how well it tells not only a story, but a lot of information about the world within such a short amount of time. I find Stink bomb the weakest, with only the overkill by the military to stop him being good.

Studio 4° C are a really under appropriated studio, they made the stunningly good looking Children of the Sea recently, and one of the last cel animated films Princess Arete which looks visually amazing. And then there is the experimental titles like Genius Party and Eternal Family. Yet everyone gets all excited because Ufotable shoved a load of fancy looking camera work and filters into their new show.
AnddoX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quite literally my favorite anime of all time.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yet everyone gets all excited because Ufotable shoved a load of fancy looking camera work and filters into their new show.
Ufotable has been well praised long before Demon Slayer. Studio 4C would probably be more well known if they made more of their work available on streaming platforms. They briefly had some stuff on Netflix and then just took it down.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
Yet everyone gets all excited because Ufotable shoved a load of fancy looking camera work and filters into their new show.
Ufotable has been well praised long before Demon Slayer.
As far back as Garden of Sinners as I recall.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I wish more of these anthology movies would be made (I was delighted to see the recent release of Modest Heroes). They're an excellent way to tell a story and an excellent way to introduce the work of animators to a larger audience. In addition, streaming sites could probably stream the individual pieces (this happened on cable with the Running Man short in Neo-Tokyo).

As to the ufoTable vs Studio 4C battle --- they're both studios that have produced great (and overlooked) work (I suppose I prefer to overlook ufoTable's tax-evasion to Studio 4C's sweatshop labor practices, but I wish I didn't have to --- especially the latter).

Studio 4C did a lot of work on music videos and TV commercials back in the day --- and they're well worth searching out. I also enjoyed their Mahou shoujotai Alice (released here as Tweeny witches). They did some early work using computers to do in-betweening, which let them do some amazing sequences of flying through forests and over hills (very important in a series about witch-trainees). This wasn't CGI, it was using computers to do perspective transformations of backgrounds, which were then animated in a traditional style, and it looked great (you can see it at work in this trailer for Mahou shoujotai Alice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH8n0oY_61g).

The early ufoTable did a couple of gems: Futakoi-alternative, which was a manic, post-apocalyptic alternate world riff on the I've-never-watched-it Futakoi ero-game adaptation, and the brilliant Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight.

(As a side note: both Manabi Straight and Mahou shoujotai Alice had trailers that presaged different series, and I'd dearly love to see a series with more of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSkrKXp2Ces ).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I wish more of these anthology movies would be made

There's also Short Peace, but not much more. What I really don't get is why someone doesn't release the best (or all) of the Animator Expo shorts. I'd love to have some of those in my collection. You can't even find them legitimately streaming anywhere, afaik.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1