• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Gigaleak

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the thumbnail I was sure this would be about "Every copy of Mario 64 is personalized"... but it ended up being much more fascinating. The timing is certainly something.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That fact that people spent tremendous amounts of time digging into old ROMs to unearth unused content and development material is proof of how far Nintendo fans will go to learn more about the history of their favorite games. Nintendo could easily take advantage of this by sharing more of this stuff, and they just… don't. And I think they absolutely should, but… stealing it like this just makes it even less likely that they'll ever pull back that curtain for us in any official capacity.

If they can get an entire youtube channel that made extensions of various game music many of which have never been widely released or released at all we shouldn't expect them to do even that.

Quote:
Also, from just how much stuff is contained in these leaks (which, I should restate, are just a part of what all was obtained), we can see how diligent Nintendo was in archiving absolutely everything they've done since the Super NES days at least. Considering how often major Japanese publishers seem to lose source code (Hi, Square-Enix!),

Still nowhere near as bad as Sega.

Quote:

But another umbrella character after Shizumaru? Oof.

You're taking exception to this in a series where multiple characters use swords? Confused
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
-The Gigaleak: Yeah, it is fascinating to see how fastidious Nintendo is in archiving everything unlike a lot of companies who can't even keep track of their gold copies. Getting a glimpse into the process is always neat. If only they made it public

-Eiyuuden Chronicle: Still on the fence about contributing, but good to see Suikoden fans are strong and eager. And cats!

-Samurai Shodown; Well, that happened. My guess with the Bandai-Namco stream is it'll probably be the EVO announcements that were supposed to happen but got canceled because of...stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1