• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: RetroCrush's Magical Idol Pastel Yumi Stream Credits Unauthorized Fansub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
Huh. I wonder how that happened. Maybe they accidentally grabbed one of the fansubbed videos by mistake?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Huh. I wonder how that happened. Maybe they accidentally grabbed one of the fansubbed videos by mistake?

Not a mistake, from the article;
Quote:
As we were only provided subtitles to Pastel Yumi EP1 - EP15 from our licensors with no additional official subtitles available, we used available fansubs to release the series on time.

Johnny English translated the second half, episodes 15-25, another group translated the first half before that.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Whoah, never have I expected Retrocrush to used fansubs in their catalog. I was watching the first 3 episodes, but not episode 20. Well, thanks for the information. This was a report I didn't expect to see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Actually, that "first group" just simply ripped Anime Sols' subs when they were still up, so this show never had fansubs before. This is uh, quite the screwy situation that kinda reminds me of this. It's really not a good look, they should have contracted someone to translate the remaining episodes or put up all that they had so far and added the rest later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Actually, that "first group" just simply ripped Anime Sols' subs when they were still up, so this show never had fansubs before.

Yeah, suspected that. But the torrent in question didn't provide that info and didn't bother checking anidb entry which would have clearly stated they were dedicated to ripping Anime Sol subs...

Am I right to assume the subs provided by the licensors were the ones Anime Sols had translated before they folded?
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
yea as sols was made by said licensors
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
It's really not a good look, they should have contracted someone to translate the remaining episodes or put up all that they had so far and added the rest later.

It might not be that easy. Based on what they said, it sounds like they didn't have the time to do that. Which is ironic, since now they have to make the time to do it.

Whether it is completely true or not, they gave their excuse. And from what they actually did, it seems that 'product delivery on time' was more important to them, than having to announce delays. Delays which in turn could have created more problems.

Problem may have been resolved easily, if they had simply asked permission and provided credit where credit was due.

As you said, it is not a good look, and may cause problems for future business.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
If anyone from retrocrush wants to contact me I should be able to get them in contact with the group from Anime Sols that did the first half.

Either way, this is not a good look. If you want to use fansubs, you need to get permission both from the fansubber AND from the Japanese licensor and sign contracts to get the rights to the translations cleared up.
It's not a simple process although it can be done (see how J-Novel Club "legitimized" some fan translations of of light novels.
horseradish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Lmao. This is just lazy and bad
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
At least they owned up to it. RetroCrush still the best legal streaming service we have.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:
Yikes, this was a very unprofessional move. I doubt hordes of people were itching to see Pastel Yumi, such that they had to release all of it no matter what that day. Hopefully this won't hurt their later aquisition attempts much.

I agree with you, but it is a business, and there may contracts or clauses that forced their hand or made delays prohibitively expensive.
horseradish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Terrible decision, and RetroCrush is getting well deserved flak for it. But it’s kind of interesting to think that they probably were within their legal rights to do so: a fan translation is a derivative work, so Johnny English Subs and its members would have no legal recourse against RetroCrush, since they can’t claim copyright on a completely derivative work.

Of course, IANAL, etc.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
oh darn
i was going to start watching it this weekend Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2