• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mamoru Oshii's VladLove Vampire Comedy Anime Debuts 1st English-Subtitled Episode

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Well.....That was a thing.

ngl I kinda enjoyed it.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that was much better than I was expecting Razz

Really feels like it's own unique thing - surprised how much the live action cuts didn't feel too out of place, and a lot of that just has to do with how well-animated most everything is.
HannoX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was strange but good. I wonder if for the BDs and DVDs they'll keep the censorship for the comedic effect or do away with it to increase sales.
Netero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this, but I think some people might be concerned that the portrayal of a character who seems that they might possibly be a dispermic chimera is rather trivialized.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:18 pm Reply with quote
An interesting graphic style, and kind-of amusing how Kenji Kawai kept hinting at musical tropes he used for Vampire Princess Miyu.

It was a little too shonen slapstick for me, but I'll probably give it another episode or two before I make up my mind.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:34 am Reply with quote
Well that was interesting from a production point, it reminds me of the types of aniamtion and art that Production I.G use in their comedies like Azazel-san.
dm wrote:
It was a little too shonen slapstick for me, but I'll probably give it another episode or two before I make up my mind.
It looked a lot like the sort of slapstick you usually see in a Shojo comedy, like Asobi Asobase.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
That was so cringey. Hey, the ‘90’s called, they want their comedy tropes back. Or maybe it’s from the ‘80’s? The TV was a CRT in a cabinet and the school nurse (who strips for some reason?) was smoking indoors. And the main character reads to me as a middle aged Boomer projecting himself as a high school lesbian. “Girls look so good in men’s shirts”...”what old man wouldn’t be seduced by that line”? Who are they trying to kid? If there are any women working on these scripts I’d be surprised. Let me know if it improves or develops a plot.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:35 am Reply with quote
As if everything else wasn't enough, 2020 now has one of my all-time favorite anime directors overseeing this crud-muffin of a show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1