• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Gets 10th Anniversary Project Website

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KurouKuriko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
What I'm hoping the "future update" will be: a proper sequel to Rebellion, written by Urobuchi, based off the concept movie they showed in 2015.

What it's probably going to be: another spinoff gacha game or more pachinko machines. Maybe even some wallpapers.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
10 years....

Gosh, that was an event when it was airing.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe it's been 10 years... It's still stuck in the "fairly new" category in my mind.
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I still remember "fondly(?)" watching the show 10 years ago. It is one of the shows that made me want to check out oversea Anime Conventions and make a shopping spree. The Anime Festival Asia 2011 was my very first anime convention and glad I get to meet Chiwa Saitō (VA of Homura Akemi) at the event.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
A follow-up to Rebellion would be a most welcome update, even if I am half-cautious of where the story and the characters might go afterwards.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's only one thing that came to mind reading this story.
Malsang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it isn't something lame like "Pachinko".
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
@ANN
Gotta love that major typo in the synopsis of the story lol Seriously ANN, please remove spoiler[witch from magical witch girl], what a typo to make. The fact i have to spoiler what am asking u to remove (whether typo or not) should say it all. lol

@Madoka series, My all time fav series ever, happy 10th birthday to ya :) Here's hope we get the Wraith arc manga in anime form someday, a continuation to rebellion in anime form and a Tart anime. Why this hasn't happened yet I'll never understand or know :(
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
@ANN
Gotta love that major typo in the synopsis of the story lol Seriously ANN, please remove spoiler[witch from magical witch girl], what a typo to make. The fact i have to spoiler what am asking u to remove (whether typo or not) should say it all. lol

@Madoka series, My all time fav series ever, happy 10th birthday to ya Smile Here's hope we get the Wraith arc manga in anime form someday, a continuation to rebellion in anime form and a Tart anime. Why this hasn't happened yet I'll never understand or know Sad

For complaining about typos you sure didn't do a very good job reading the article. That's the quote straight from funimation (it's also the exact same wording on HBO Max!).
yu_samson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Just sell us some official high quality character costumes from the series and all will be forgiven Very Happy

Last edited by yu_samson on Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 am Reply with quote
I hope we get an anime of the wraith arc.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:03 am Reply with quote
If only Rebellion hadn't soured the triumph of the series, I'd be much more enthused about celebrating PMMM's anniversary...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:21 am Reply with quote
I often feel alone in feeling that Rebellion was actually a pretty good follow up and I admire it for being ambitious with the characters even if it wasn't always executed well.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote
Madoka Magica Rebellion was a good follow up to the original Madoka

I think a lot of issues with it that a lot of people have is that without 'spoiling'. The dramatic left field shenanigan that happened close to the end of the movie as well as the fact it was hinted a bit that their is more to develop for the story but we never got a follow up until now. So a lot of people feel they should continue it until it feels 100% Resolved regardless to what happens. (Although you could argue that it still feels conclusive, it just depends how you interpret it).

If i recall they already announced additional projects that were upcoming even after the first part of the spin off ended. we just never got a clarification what they are, So im curios as to what exactly will be. A lot of people seem to expect or want a continuation in some form after the events of rebellion, which while i would welcome, i would try to keep my expectations a bit low for now as nothing is certain yet.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:25 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

I think a lot of issues with it that a lot of people have is that without 'spoiling'. The dramatic left field shenanigan that happened close to the end of the movie as well as the fact it was hinted a bit that their is more to develop for the story but we never got a follow up until now. So a lot of people feel they should continue it until it feels 100% Resolved regardless to what happens. (Although you could argue that it still feels conclusive, it just depends how you interpret it).

If i recall they already announced additional projects that were upcoming even after the first part of the spin off ended. we just never got a clarification what they are, So im curios as to what exactly will be. A lot of people seem to expect or want a continuation in some form after the events of rebellion, which while i would welcome, i would try to keep my expectations a bit low for now as nothing is certain yet.
If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, I feel the opposite of most fans that the movie's dramatic left field turn makes the movie more interesting than if they just went a more safe and predictable route. And I've always taken it that like how the Madoka TV series "deconstructs" the magical girl genre, Rebellion is a "deconstruction" of the characters in Madoka, particularly with Homura. But this seems to happen with a lot of iconic franchises like Star Wars The Last Jedi and Evangelion 3.0 where when a follow up movie doesn't match the fan theories or the expectations fans have for the characters even if the movie otherwise is actually well produced and ambitious with what it's setting out to do with the characters. I wouldn't say no to more Madoka but I wouldn't want something like we had with TROS in Star Wars where a continuation is made only to fix the perceived "problems" fans had with Rebellion to reset the story to make it more "safe" and straightforward to please the fanbase. Though I am actually enjoying the current spin off show which you could argue is Madoka playing it safe, any continuation of the main story that brings back Gen Urobuchi should be because he has something interesting and new to say and not just to satisfy the fanbase by "fixing" the problems with Rebellion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2