• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Hatsune Miku Airport' Raised as Possible New Name for Small Sapporo Airport

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't know about that. Hatsune Miku has stood the test of time, but it feels a bit tacky--especially for people not into Vocaloid idols--and there's still a risk that she'll fall out of favor one day.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:07 am Reply with quote
TravellinMatt77 wrote:
Yeah, I don't know about that. Hatsune Miku has stood the test of time, but it feels a bit tacky--especially for people not into Vocaloid idols--and there's still a risk that she'll fall out of favor one day.

Well, I'd rather this than having airports named after former (recent) presidents like we do in the US all the time. If we want to talk about "fall out of favor" over time, well, I'm pretty sure Hatsune Miku at least hasn't done anything that'd earn her international scorn.

On a more practical note, I'm all for Sapporo getting its own real airport. Chitose is a good hour train ride (maybe 45 minutes on an express) from Sapporo, a closer airport would be really welcome.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:26 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
On a more practical note, I'm all for Sapporo getting its own real airport. Chitose is a good hour train ride (maybe 45 minutes on an express) from Sapporo, a closer airport would be really welcome.

https://www.hyperdia.com is your friend. New Chitose Airport to Sapporo is just under 40 minutes (I think that all Airport train services have limited stops between Chitose and Sapporo). The location of the nearest subway station to Sapporo station appears to be designed to make you take a long scenic walk along the underground shopping street.

The only other airports I can report on in Hokkaido are Asahikawa (15 km from Asahikawa station towards Furano) and Okhotsk-Mombetsu (7.5 km from Okhotsk-Mombetsu bus terminal). As the planes depart from those airports the ground crews wave to those on the departing plane.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
It is nice nod to Miku to rename. For expanding there not much that can be done at airport. It can not replace Chitose. There is no room. There was reason why Chitose was built where it was (like Narita) in first place. Unlike Henada that expanded, Sapporo City Airport is landlocked, landfills are out of question. If farmer decide not to sell land, prefecture will not fight it.

According to Kyodo and local newspaper, after expansion complete largest aircraft will be 737 NG. Even new MAX-8 and MAX-9 will be too large. Larger city airport would serve limited domestic commercial air traiffic.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:40 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

According to Kyodo and local newspaper, after expansion complete largest aircraft will be 737 NG. Even new MAX-8 and MAX-9 will be too large. Larger city airport would serve limited domestic commercial air traiffic.

Yeah, I realize that, but would be nice if there were some direct Tokyo->Sapporo flights which got you closer to the city. As it is now, flying to Sapporo from Tokyo you spend longer getting to and from airports than on the flight itself, by quite a bit.

Maybe once they get the last leg of the shinkasen to Sapporo in a decade that'll be nicer (though it would take like 9 hours).
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe Hatsune Miku invented air travel. Queen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:03 am Reply with quote
Go Miku!~ :)
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:21 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
As it is now, flying to Sapporo from Tokyo you spend longer getting to and from airports than on the flight itself, by quite a bit.

Maybe once they get the last leg of the shinkasen to Sapporo in a decade that'll be nicer (though it would take like 9 hours).

Haneda to New Chitose is 90-100 minutes by air (as timetabled, which is airbridge to airbridge including taxiing). Also apart from getting to and from airports there is the check-in time involved.

Currently the Tokyo to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto Shinkansen takes 4 hours for the 800 km journey.

The remaining 211 km from Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto to Sapporo via a new line will take less than an hour (compared with the present 3.5 hours on the Super Hokuto service on the existing line).

The new service will most likely use the Alfa-X Shinkansen:

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200213/p2a/00m/0bu/006000c
https://www.railjournal.com/regions/asia/jr-hokkaido-plans-320km-h-operation-to-sapporo/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1