• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saiyuki Manga's 'Even a Worm' Arc Gets TV Anime by Liden Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:13 am Reply with quote
No such thing as too much Saiyuki. I am so happy! I can't wait!
I know this arc had an original ending in Gunlock.
SP654

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
My God Will they ever reach the west to achieve their goals already the show just keeps coming and going and still nowhere near the Absolute true ending and now they’re rebooting Gunlock
Vs7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Are you serious? THAT battle will finally get animated?

I don't even care what studio it is.

SP654 wrote:
My God Will they ever reach the west to achieve their goals already the show just keeps coming and going and still nowhere near the Absolute true ending and now they’re rebooting Gunlock

They're not rebooting anything. Gunlock took a sharp left turn oof the manga plot, gave Hazel a different background and left out quite a relevant plot event with far reaching consequences.
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
stoked!! love this news more more more please
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I dropped the Saiyukiverse years ago, but today I'm surprised to see something so close to the first series, graphically and musically.
RevyHenriettaRider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Hello! Cool

I am seriously excited to see that Saiyuki is going to get a new anime. I hope that they will stay true to the manga in regards to Hazel and Gat. They did something different with them in the other anime. I hope that Funimation gets the anime to dub. I wish Funimation would get the Saiyuki Burial OVAs to dub too. I look forward to seeing this anime.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:29 am Reply with quote
Holyshiznit! What a fabulous surprise! Can't wait to see a return to the manga!
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
YES!!! I'm always ready for more Saiyuki.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
I agree! More Saiyuki is a great thing indeed. I love that this little 20+ year old series still has a solid enough fanbase to warrant a lovely re-release of the manga in English and now another film.

Minekura-sensei's health is the number one priority, but it would be lovely to see a proper conclusion to the journey one day.
Zagnaphein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
Thanks to this post i decided to start the series! Any idea which episodes are fillers and not? Cause google doesn't help and the only think i read is tha ton the last anime this arc was buchered and had an original ending so since i would love to skip me dem fillers any idea about the watch list or what episodes are fillers?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote
Zagnaphein wrote:
Thanks to this post i decided to start the series! Any idea which episodes are fillers and not? Cause google doesn't help and the only think i read is tha ton the last anime this arc was buchered and had an original ending so since i would love to skip me dem fillers any idea about the watch list or what episodes are fillers?

Not to toot my own horn, but I actually wrote about watching the Saiyuki anime without (nearly) any of the filler, and it's actually very doable! Check it out here for more detail, but if you just want the cliff notes version, here's what to watch:
-Gensou Maden Saiyuki: 1-9, 11-12, 15-16, 20-22 [These are available on Hidive]
-Saiyuki Reload: 1, 3, 13, 16-25
-Saiyuki Reload Gunlock: 2-6, 10

That'll get you right up to before the Burial Arc, which was adapted into its own (excellent) OVA series that's never been licensed. You can stop there & wait for the new anime, but if you are curious about how Reload Gunlock handled it, then you can watch Episodes 13-26. 13 & 14 are actually still manga-accurate, but after that it goes off into its own original take, though there are still some shockingly similar thematic beats between the two.

Meanwhile, the Saiyuki Reload Blast anime covers a good amount of what exists in the manga continuation of the same name, but I'd personally wait until after seeing the new anime first, as well as the Saiyuki Gaiden OVA series, as the latter plays strongly into Blast's story.
Zagnaphein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Zagnaphein wrote:

Not to toot my own horn, but I actually wrote about watching the Saiyuki anime without (nearly) any of the filler, and it's actually very doable! Check it out here for more detail, but if you just want the cliff notes version, here's what to watch:
-Gensou Maden Saiyuki: 1-9, 11-12, 15-16, 20-22 [These are available on Hidive]
-Saiyuki Reload: 1, 3, 13, 16-25
-Saiyuki Reload Gunlock: 2-6, 10

That'll get you right up to before the Burial Arc, which was adapted into its own (excellent) OVA series that's never been licensed. You can stop there & wait for the new anime, but if you are curious about how Reload Gunlock handled it, then you can watch Episodes 13-26. 13 & 14 are actually still manga-accurate, but after that it goes off into its own original take, though there are still some shockingly similar thematic beats between the two.

Meanwhile, the Saiyuki Reload Blast anime covers a good amount of what exists in the manga continuation of the same name, but I'd personally wait until after seeing the new anime first, as well as the Saiyuki Gaiden OVA series, as the latter plays strongly into Blast's story.

After writing my post i found this blog! ARE YOU THE ONE WHO WROTE IT? Oh my god!

Also is Saiyuki Reload blast is a sequel? i mean i should watch the new arc and then watch blast? (will it spoil me?)
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Houchu Otsuka is in it now? This gonna be good. I still haven't watched Blast yet due to backlog. Obviously, I'll watch it by the time this releases. Then again, I am waiting for the BD for this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1