• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Film's English-Subtitled Blu-ray, DVD Ship in Japan on June 16

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
English subs in the JP BD is always welcomed. ufotable BD's usually have this so I expected this.
so751

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
English subs in the JP BD is always welcomed. ufotable BD's usually have this so I expected this.

I definitely agree English subs are welcome, but I don't think ufotable BD's usually had this - the 11-part JP release first season of Demon Slayer didn't, and I just checked my Tales of Zestiria JP box sets from ufotable and those didn't either. I do recall some Fate box sets came with English subs, so I'm guessing Demon Slayer made the cut on more "internationally-known" anime to get English subs.

Finally news on a BD set! Just put in my preorder, can't wait to see this in all its HD glory.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
On Amazon.co.jp it’s all listed as out of stock even the regular edition. I don’t know if it’s just because it hasn’t gone on sale yet or it really sold out that quickly because that is crazy.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
On Amazon.co.jp it’s all listed as out of stock even the regular edition. I don’t know if it’s just because it hasn’t gone on sale yet or it really sold out that quickly because that is crazy.

It's probably really sold out. And it's not surprising, given this has an English subtitles, and has only been released in very few countries internationally (and to very limited extent at that), so probably dozen times more fans from around the world are trying to import it.

To me, it's not crazy that it's sold out. I mean, it's the highest-grossing film in Japan ever.
It's crazy that the Japanese release would have English subtitles, on top of Japanese subtitles for hard of hearing and death people, and audio descriptions for blind and visually impaired people. The film sold so well, that they are catering to impaired people. And if this is region-locked or forbidden from shipping internationally, that would mean there are enough foreigners in Japan (who aren't fluent enough in Japanese) who are Demon Slayers to cater to.

It's honestly insane how well this film did, so it's no surprise this sold out quickly. But man, for it to do so well to start catering to certain groups? That's even more insane. If this can be shipped internationally (at least directly from official distributors and retailers, and not proxy's, scalper's and and whatnot), then they're gonna have a hard time meeting the demand for this. And in that case, and it also is not region-locked, this could hurt licensed releases, but at the same time could make international fans double dip if they want the dub. On one hand this could be a smart move, but could also mean not enough supply in Japan. Will be interesting to see what the deal is here, and how it unfolds.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:26 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:

It's probably really sold out. And it's not surprising, given this has an English subtitles, and has only been released in very few countries internationally (and to very limited extent at that), so probably dozen times more fans from around the world are trying to import it.

To me, it's not crazy that it's sold out. I mean, it's the highest-grossing film in Japan ever.
It's crazy that the Japanese release would have English subtitles, on top of Japanese subtitles for hard of hearing and death people, and audio descriptions for blind and visually impaired people. The film sold so well, that they are catering to impaired people. And if this is region-locked or forbidden from shipping internationally, that would mean there are enough foreigners in Japan (who aren't fluent enough in Japanese) who are Demon Slayers to cater to.

It's honestly insane how well this film did, so it's no surprise this sold out quickly. But man, for it to do so well to start catering to certain groups? That's even more insane. If this can be shipped internationally (at least directly from official distributors and retailers, and not proxy's, scalper's and and whatnot), then they're gonna have a hard time meeting the demand for this. And in that case, and it also is not region-locked, this could hurt licensed releases, but at the same time could make international fans double dip if they want the dub. On one hand this could be a smart move, but could also mean not enough supply in Japan. Will be interesting to see what the deal is here, and how it unfolds.

I am not surprised it is doing really well but selling out within a couple hours even the regular edition seems insane. They should have prepared better for the demand.

I did manage to snag the regular edition Blu-Ray from Ami Ami thankfully so I am content with that.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:39 am Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:

I am not surprised it is doing really well but selling out within a couple hours even the regular edition seems insane. They should have prepared better for the demand.

I did manage to snag the regular edition Blu-Ray from Ami Ami thankfully so I am content with that.

Well, for the regular edition, probably. But for the special edition, it probably would've been difficult to mass produce so many of those physical goods. And they probably knew this would happen, but there is a limit to how many things you can print at a time. This may of even been intentional to trigger FOMO or at least stop people from delaying their purchase (especially given this is the first home release, before any pirated versions exist)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:44 am Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:

Well, for the regular edition, probably. But for the special edition, it probably would've been difficult to mass produce so many of those physical goods. And they probably knew this would happen, but there is a limit to how many things you can print at a time. This may of even been intentional to trigger FOMO or at least stop people from delaying their purchase (especially given this is the first home release, before any pirated versions exist)

But I was specifically talking about the regular edition selling out not the limited edition
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1