• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kamen Rider W Sequel Manga Fuuto PI Gets Anime Series Coming to Funimation in 2022

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation licensed this or co-produce, will this means it will guaranteed to get english dub ?
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
It would be awesome if they could get some of the original actors back, but I wouldn't expect it. At the very least Masaki Suda (Philip) probably wouldn't be able to participate since his career's really taken off. At one point he said he was literally booked solid for two years straight, which kept him from putting in a cameo in Zi-O despite really wanting to.

Either way, it'd be really nice if we could get the Double TV series licensed and streaming on a service like Crunchyroll or Funimation, so it could get a bit more exposure and so newcomers wouldn't be totally lost jumping into a sequel series that kind of spoils some of the big plot revelations. I know Shout Factory has been licensing some of the other KR series, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people know about that, and some of the shows like Agito only available via their cable channel .
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
If Funimation licensed this or co-produce, will this means it will guaranteed to get english dub ?

Most likely.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I never thought we would get a Kamen Rider anime so this is exciting especially as W was one of my first and favorite Kamen Rider series. I was also surprised Funimation had already nabbed it this early. I also hope this could lead to getting Kamen Rider W finally getting licensed. I'm not sure why Shout Factory has just been sitting on the license. Like they just picked up the original and Kuuga and then stopped and then Toku HD randomly got Agito and we never heard anything after that.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Can't really overstate how much of a big deal both of these announcements are.

W will make for a great anime. Hopefully it will attract fans in a way similar to SSSS Gridman and pave the way for fast-tracking the rest of the franchise stateside. Shotaro and Phillip are certain to find a new legion of female fans.

But honestly, I'm more excited for the Kamen Rider Black reboot. Black's importance and influence on the franchise is too much to get into, so I am in awe that this is reboot is real because there is a lot of potential for it to be phenomenal. Also, this means that it is highly likely that I will get an update to my favorite Kamen Rider: Black RX.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
This is a big surprise for me after reading this article. I never thought Funimation would get involved with a Kamen Rider anime series given that Shout Factory is streaming the original 1971 series, and Kamen Rider: Kuuga, and the Kamen Rider Heisei Generation Forever film on their streaming site. I would've expected Shout Factory to be the one picking up the Kamen Rider anime, but I didn't expect Funimation and Kamen Rider together in one article headline title. Well, let see if the anime can help some fans re-discovered the 1970's original, and Kuuga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:23 am Reply with quote
This explains Funi’s confounding tweet the other day. But it sure is weird we’re getting a W anime without the original being released here first. At least when the Garo anime came over, you didn’t necessarily need to have seen the live action shows to appreciate it.
Lo Wang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:29 am Reply with quote
Nice, W was my first full Kamen Rider series. Won't bother with the english dub since Funni will likely give Tokusatsu characters awful anime voices that don't fit like they did with Shin Godzilla.

Toei better bring back Tetsuo Kurata or fans are going to hate it immediately. Super Hero Taisen GP: Kamen Rider 3 shows that he still able to pull of Black/Black RX even will into middle age.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:44 am Reply with quote
Lo Wang wrote:
Nice, W was my first full Kamen Rider series. Won't bother with the english dub since Funni will likely give Tokusatsu characters awful anime voices that don't fit like they did with Shin Godzilla.

Toei better bring back Tetsuo Kurata or fans are going to hate it immediately. Super Hero Taisen GP: Kamen Rider 3 shows that he still able to pull of Black/Black RX even will into middle age.

Sir, this will be Anime, not live-action.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:31 am Reply with quote
W's manga is very good, and recaptures the TV series spirit pretty well. I'm looking forward to the anime.

As far as BLACK's reboot...I have mixed feelings. The original is, IMO, the closest to "ishinomori's style" in live action despite being also targeted at children.

While an Amazon-style reboot would work, I'm not sure I'd like that (just personal taste though).
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:04 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Sir, this will be Anime, not live-action.

That's based on a tokusatsu. I don't know what the dub of Shin Godzilla was like, but it's not out of the possibility for a dub to mishandle something involving a certain sub genre or fandom. I mean, they might actually try to translate henshin as "transform" which is sacrilegious in the toku community Razz

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I was also surprised Funimation had already nabbed it this early. I also hope this could lead to getting Kamen Rider W finally getting licensed. I'm not sure why Shout Factory has just been sitting on the license. Like they just picked up the original and Kuuga and then stopped and then Toku HD randomly got Agito and we never heard anything after that.

Maybe it didn't do well for them?

Maybe one day we'll see official subbed or even simulcasted Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, but yeah, this is going to be an awful first introduction to Kamen Rider if people jump right into this and haven't seen W. Although I'm not sure who would be interested in this who isn't already a toku fan to begin with.
TemplateR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:58 am Reply with quote
Unfortunatley, the Kamen Rider Franchise is in Germany unknown. Even if "Kamen Rider Amazons" is streaming on Prime Video (here in Germany), knowledge of the franchise is still untouched.

The same goes for the original "Super Sentai"-Series, which is the source-material for the "Power Rangers".

Thats why is the News of the Anime-Adaption in the Kamen Rider-Franchise not so hyping in germany.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:19 am Reply with quote
W is a great series to do more of, and while I haven't read the manga, a Rider anime series makes me SUPER excited so count me in!
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:06 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Maybe one day we'll see official subbed or even simulcasted Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, but yeah, this is going to be an awful first introduction to Kamen Rider if people jump right into this and haven't seen W. Although I'm not sure who would be interested in this who isn't already a toku fan to begin with.

That didn't stop people from checking out SSSS Gridman and losing their mind over the finale. I imagine the anime will find a way to recap audiences, and yes certain moments like spoiler["Fang! Trigger!"] will not hit as hard, but there is a lot of potential for this to be a gateway series for new fans.

Lo Wang wrote:

That movie was 6 years ago, and this is a reboot, not a sequel. So Tetsuo Kurata ain't coming back, especially if the rumors about him pulling a Super-1 are true.

ximpalullaorg wrote:
As far as BLACK's reboot...I have mixed feelings. The original is, IMO, the closest to "ishinomori's style" in live action despite being also targeted at children.

While an Amazon-style reboot would work, I'm not sure I'd like that (just personal taste though).

Amazons was more of a "re-imagining" with the concepts. Black Sun is going to be a raw-ass reboot. And considering how Black was the "dark, mature" series for its day, it is only fitting that this new reboot maintains that.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
I mean, they might actually try to translate henshin as "transform" which is sacrilegious in the toku community Razz

And it'll be wonderful when they do. Twisted Evil

I'll be laughing if any one of them say they prefer Toku HD's "Honshin" over what FUNi uses here. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2